Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love snow but shoveling it is not my favorite...something I was sure I was finished with when I left north Idaho. This series of snow storms here in the Pacific northwest is highly unusual. It has been record breaking...a state of emergency. But besides the work involved, it's been fun for the dogs and me. I even went sledding...at my age! Can you imagine? Here are some pictures:

Dogs need a place shoveled to go potty or they would get their little bums cold.

It snowed sideways at times and came right into both front and back covered porches. Grrr.

Broke my old snow shovel, tossed it, thought I'd never need one again. And when it started snowing I debated whether to get another one. After all, it never snows much or stays long. But decided to get one anyhow. Good thing I did because shortly after, things got messy...no plows in the neighborhood until a day or two after the first dump.

One more vital place to brush the snow off is the hot tub cover...too much weight is no good. So about here is when I got it off. I'd have to do it about 4 times a day while it was coming down.

Shoveling front walkway, finally got the whole driveway shoveled. :first:

Camouflaged Mattie...can you find the white poodle? lol.

Now I know this is normal for many of you and it was for me in Idaho...all winter the ground was knee deep (at least) in snow...never melted at all till spring. But HERE...very unusual to get more than maybe 2 inches on average.

Do you like it when it snows? Do you have a love/hate relationship with snow? What do you like about it or dislike? Got pictures? :camera:

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I hate the snow with a passion ! I’ve lived here all my life but having a medical condition now makes it absolutely horrific. And, with the climate change, winter is no fun anymore : we get a lot of icy rain which makes it terribly risky to walk outside. I fell last week, I’m lucky I didn’t break anything.

So, my plan is to find myself a man and go to Florida all winter long from now on, lol !

Here is the front of my house this morning. We had about 2 feet of snow since yesterday, and more coming. Then for the week-end, icy rain. Grrrrr

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am also in the Pacific Northwest, but down in Southern Oregon. We rarely get any snow and when we do it's only a couple inches. I love snow, but I hate driving in it around here. People act like a tiny bit of snow is reason to drive like it's a blizzard! Merry would love more snow, and so would my kids!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Dechi...I'm so sorry. Yep, for those who typically get a lot and hate it, Florida or Arizona. I often think about Tucson about this time of year. But I actually like some snow...just not so much. Luckily this is rare here.

Your pictures everyone are just beautiful. Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Here in IL, I’ll like snow more when I don’t have to work. Though the generous telework rules reduce the need for early morning shoveling or driving on bad roadways. My dogs love the snow, even a dusting. We’ve had a few storms here but they tend to vary in intensity and we’ve not had much, about a foot total. Not many snow photos but some really cool freezing fog pics from an early training morning at my club.

My niece is in Bellevue, WA and had to run out for snow clothes for her toddler last week. Everything looks really pretty out there with the cover of white.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in IL, I’ll like snow more when I don’t have to work. Though the generous telework rules reduce the need for early morning shoveling or driving on bad roadways. My dogs love the snow, even a dusting. We’ve had a few storms here but they tend to vary in intensity and we’ve not had much, about a foot total. Not many snow photos but some really cool freezing fog pics from an early training morning at my club.

My niece is in Bellevue, WA and had to run out for snow clothes for her toddler last week. Everything looks really pretty out there with the cover of white.
I grew up in Bellevue. It's a lot different now. I think I heard Bellevue got quite a bit of snow. But not so much as where I am. Yikes. Highly unusual.

Interesting pictures! That's frozen fog? or dew? Very cool!You've sure had a lion's share of weather this winter. My niece (one of several) lives in Chicago and came to visit my daughter, her special cousin...and then they came to visit me up north of Seattle. She left on that Thursday after the whole Chicago practically was shut down...50 below...crazy...the big storm on Wednesday. We were surprised her flight wasn't cancelled because most were. That was scary. :afraid:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love playing in snow, but heavy snow would bring me lots of troubles such as shoveling and daily walks. (just like what you said):afraid: What's more, my dog gets frostbite this year due to long walking after snow storm. I regret to not dress him up with boots and a warm sweater. To prevent from suffering other risks/dangers in the snow (such as snowmelt), I hope all of our owners protect canine paws with boots before going outside and wipe dog's paws and body once coming home. Control to walk our dogs outside within 20 minutes every time.
What's more, we could train the dogs to use pee pads, so you can reduce the walking time in this frigid weather. :act-up:

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love playing in snow, but heavy snow would bring me lots of troubles such as shoveling and daily walks. (just like what you said):afraid: What's more, my dog gets frostbite this year due to long walking after snow storm. I regret to not dress him up with boots and a warm sweater. To prevent from suffering other risks/dangers in the snow (such as snowmelt), I hope all of our owners protect canine paws with boots before going outside and wipe dog's paws and body once coming home. Control to walk our dogs outside within 20 minutes every time.
What's more, we could train the dogs to use pee pads, so you can reduce the walking time in this frigid weather. :act-up:
https://phys.org/news/2012-01-dogs-ice-paws.html

Dogs can get frost bite on the tips of their ears and tails. And with severe cold like they had recently in Chicago, good heavens...I wouldn't want them out for more than a minute or two. It dropped to 30 below zero F where I use to live a couple of times...for a week or so. My dogs still went out to potty...but double quick. They were fine. Dogs are not likely to get frost bite on their feet...rare, but it's remotely possible. Sled dogs wear booties primarily to keep their feet from scratches/cuts and ice balls from forming, not to prevent frost bite.

It isn't severely cold here so we still took walks on sunny, crisp days...they wore little coats because it was pretty cold (25ish f) on some days, just not in the single digits. They just put sand down in my neighborhood. And in Idaho where I lived they used magnesium chloride (they do on the main streets here too) we walked on those roads but then they'd go through the clean snow in my yard and wash it all off or I'd rinse them off. It never hurt their feet. I would think booties would fall off, my brats would chew them off and they'd be a hassle to put on every time we went outside. But in someplace like Chicago....yikes!:afraid: I can see training for potty pads if it is 50 below zero. But here in Washington? No way do I want my dogs peeing inside. :eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
https://phys.org/news/2012-01-dogs-ice-paws.html

Dogs can get frost bite on the tips of their ears and tails. And with severe cold like they had recently in Chicago, good heavens...I wouldn't want them out for more than a minute or two. It dropped to 30 below zero F where I use to live a couple of times...for a week or so. My dogs still went out to potty...but double quick. They were fine. Dogs are not likely to get frost bite on their feet...rare, but it's remotely possible. Sled dogs wear booties primarily to keep their feet from scratches/cuts and ice balls from forming, not to prevent frost bite.

It isn't severely cold here so we still took walks on sunny, crisp days...they wore little coats because it was pretty cold (25ish f) on some days, just not in the single digits. They just put sand down in my neighborhood. And in Idaho where I lived they used magnesium chloride (they do on the main streets here too) we walked on those roads but then they'd go through the clean snow in my yard and wash it all off or I'd rinse them off. It never hurt their feet. I would think booties would fall off, my brats would chew them off and they'd be a hassle to put on every time we went outside. But in someplace like Chicago....yikes!:afraid: I can see training for potty pads if it is 50 below zero. But here in Washington? No way do I want my dogs peeing inside. :eek:

It got to 50 below 0 here and I still had to force my dogs to come inside! They’d go out and pee and poo and then try to tear around in the snow and play but I made them come in right away. They love the snow. I did but then booties for the super cold days but they won’t leave them on lol. Their feet are fine though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It got to 50 below 0 here and I still had to force my dogs to come inside! They’d go out and pee and poo and then try to tear around in the snow and play but I made them come in right away. They love the snow. I did but then booties for the super cold days but they won’t leave them on lol. Their feet are fine though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! 50 below is insane!:scared: That's really life threatening...never mind frost bite. It'll freeze a body through and through. Those silly dogs...thinking they can stay out in that for very long. Good thing their mama is looking after them. :love2::kiss2:

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
These snow pictures are so beautiful! However, I am grateful to live in a place where we don't get snow (although with climate change, who knows what will happen in the near future...). I do want to take the spoos to a snowy place for them to play someday!

So, my plan is to find myself a man and go to Florida all winter long from now on, lol !

]
Dechi, ahem, you don't need a man to do anything ;) And I would highly recommend California over FL (no offense to Floridians).

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These snow pictures are so beautiful! However, I am grateful to live in a place where we don't get snow (although with climate change, who knows what will happen in the near future...). I do want to take the spoos to a snowy place for them to play someday!

Dechi, ahem, you don't need a man to do anything ;) And I would highly recommend California over FL (no offense to Floridians).
I'll 2nd that. Love California...not so humid. No poodle-stealing alligators.:scared: No hurricanes...just a little ole' earthquake here and there...like Washington only more. lol. But Florida is beautiful to be sure.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts

I agree, I wouldn’t need a man if I was in my old life, but now I am not able to do much physically, so could not drive myself and attend to all the necessary chores. He would be my slave, lol !

As for California over Florida, I would prefer it too, but Florida is «*only*» 12 hours driving distance from here, whereas California is 44 hours (I don’t like to take the plane). For this reason, lots of people around here go to Florida in winter.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I agree, I wouldn’t need a man if I was in my old life, but now I am not able to do much physically, so could not drive myself and attend to all the necessary chores. He would be my slave, lol !

As for California over Florida, I would prefer it too, but Florida is «*only*» 12 hours driving distance from here, whereas California is 44 hours (I don’t like to take the plane). For this reason, lots of people around here go to Florida in winter.
Okay, I see where you are coming from. Is Countryboy single?

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
A native San Diegan here and I know for a fact I would never survive in a snow state! Right now it is rainy and cold here and although 50F may sound like summer to some of you...to me it is sweater and wooly socks weather! I love living in Calif....Snow is only a couple of hours away for skiing (actually is only a 1hr flight from SD!) so it quite possible to ski in AM and surf in the PM now that they have a commuter flight from some of our airports for this! Even our local mountains can provide a snowy playground when the snow falls at 6000ft sometimes. We have the best of both worlds here! KEEP WARM EVERYONE!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Man, I am so jealous of all of you and your snow. Lived up north since 2010, and had to move back to Texas for work. I miss Montana and the snow so much. Heat is a migraine trigger for me - I grew up in East Texas and suffered heatstroke twice as a child and I’m particularly sensitive. Today it was almost 80° and I jogged with my daughter while she cycled for about a mile and a half, and man. It’s crippling. I hate warm weather. I’d give anything to go back up in the snow. Of course I was fairly lucky and our townhome had all our driveways plowed for us even in front of the garages. Just had to shovel one tiny walkway and that’s it 🙂

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I am so jealous of all of you and your snow. Lived up north since 2010, and had to move back to Texas for work. I miss Montana and the snow so much. Heat is a migraine trigger for me - I grew up in East Texas and suffered heatstroke twice as a child and I’m particularly sensitive. Today it was almost 80° and I jogged with my daughter while she cycled for about a mile and a half, and man. It’s crippling. I hate warm weather. I’d give anything to go back up in the snow. Of course I was fairly lucky and our townhome had all our driveways plowed for us even in front of the garages. Just had to shovel one tiny walkway and that’s it 🙂
Wow, that's nice that your driveway was shoveled for you.

Well...maybe one day you can move north again. Western Washington I love because it's typically neither extreme of too hot or too cold...but just right...pretty mild. Goldilocks would approve.

Jogging in 80 degrees would do me in. I also had heat stroke in Idaho...awful. Too much heat turns me into a withering vine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh my gosh, I would love to live in California for part of the winter! I am in the mildest part of Canada (mildest in winter but not the hottest in summer) and I still find it cold - and yes I grew up here!! We have snow on the ground now and usually do for a few weeks a year. I am at sea level but surrounded by mountains so the snow is readily available if I want to go up.
It’s the rain and darkness that do me in. So much rain! Getting wet makes everything so cold and everything you touch gets soggy and cold. And the clouds make it so dark and grey! I always say I’d rather have the freezing temps as long as it were sunny:) 2 years ago (?) it rained 20 days in a row - in January:angry:
So bring on California (or Hawaii?) for a few months every year - I will be one of those Canadians for sure! I do love where I live, really. it’s very beautiful and amazing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts