Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been looking for groomers in my area that specialize in Poodles because in the next month or so Misters Poms will be long enough and will need the initial shaping done. I am not confident enough to do it myself and thats why im seeking out a groomer for the first time at least.
I emailed a lady who has a standard and grooms a few of them, she totally shot me down! She said that her clientelle base is too big and there are only two groomers and she cant take any new clients....really?!? All i need are pom poms....i would bring in Mister all bathed, blowdried and groomed everywhere else but the poms. I think she just doesnt want to deal with it.
Oh well ill keep searching. Just makes me sad since she seems like such a cool groomer in my area and has a lovely website and everything.

·
Registered
575 Posts
it MAY be she resents (and I really mean NO disrespect at all) someone wanting her to do JUST the braclets and poms. Perhaps she would rather someone build a relationship with her as a grooming client, than just an instrument to finish some one else's groom.

PLEASE, don't take this wrong!!!! I'm only giving a perspective from a groomer/business person.

Doing the pom's is not that big of a deal.

Here's an easy way and I hope I explain it with out being to confusing, lol

comb all the hair DOWN toward the toes and hold it tight with your fingers wrapped around the leg holding it just above your shaved line and trim all that hangs over your line. Then comb it all UP toward the elbow, hold, trim at the line. This will give you the bevel and all you do is neaten up the middle.

are you close to maryville?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
it MAY be she resents (and I really mean NO disrespect at all) someone wanting her to do JUST the braclets and poms. Perhaps she would rather someone build a relationship with her as a grooming client, than just an instrument to finish some one else's groom.

PLEASE, don't take this wrong!!!! I'm only giving a perspective from a groomer/business person.

Doing the pom's is not that big of a deal.
I agree she probably does not just want to finish the job. If you took you dog in for a full grooming I bet she would want to do it.

Who knows ? I say ask her about doing the whole job and see if her mind changes , it also could be she does not like doing standard poodles.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Who knows ? I say ask her about doing the whole job and see if her mind changes , it also could be she does not like doing standard poodles.
Exactly. Prior to getting my spoos I called around and got quotes well when it came down to appointments, I got the run around from different groomers. TO ME, it was clear. And it does take a lot to do spoos and its their preference, I am 4 hours at the least when I do beginning to end, just trimming and light scissoring. I want the person I chose to groom someone that wants to do it and has experience on spoos too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She said right on her website and in the email that she has a standard (black one) and that she grooms a few standards so i highly doubt she hates doing them. If i were a more highly skilled groomer i would help out another groomer by showing them how to do poms on their dog. I also doubt that she would take him as a full groom as she said she isnt taking any new clients....

It might be that she resents doing them but i dont really understand that. I am a picky person and like grooming my own dog and wouldnt want someone else to do a full groom on him nor do i need that. I just want a more experienced groomer who loves grooming poodles especially Standards to show me the ropes on the poms. I do not want to attempt it the first time but i could keep up the maintenance on them. I would be a big tipper too lol.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Or, she could just be totally full. The really good grooming salon here in Boulder has a waitlist. Once they agree to take you as a client, you have to come something like every 6 weeks or they won't agree to take your dog on.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with the others. It's hard to find a groomer that is willing to do a spoo, or any poodle for that matter. She may be inundated with poodles. If this is the case, she needs to take it off her web page. The groomer I had before was full. If I missed an appointment, I would just have to wait until my next one unless she had a cancellation. All of my appointments were designated certain days, and I know she did several clients that way.

If she has that good of a reputation, she may want to do the full groom just to maintain quality control. For all she knows, you will tell someone she groomed the whole dog. Not that you wouldn't do just as good (if not better), it's just that she has her own way.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you should try doing the poms yourself. I have started using this technique on the legs. It's pretty easy. Not to say that you will have perfect poms every time, but really, who would?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well she did say that she needs to put on her website that she's not accepting new clients because that would of been helpful before i emailed her. I wouldnt even of emailed if i knew she was full. I can understand being totally booked but im not aksing for a full groom nor do i want one. I need someone to shape them the first time then i will probably attempt them in the future.

And no im not close to marysville, im in puyallup.

·
Registered
575 Posts
And no im not close to marysville, im in puyallup.
Darn! I know a groomer in Marysville that has 2 spoo's and a mini that I could have referred you to. She used to teach grooming, so she would have probably been up for it.

I know you are frustrated and I'm really sorry your having this problem. She probably IS full, especially if she's been in business for a long time. It's hard to fit in that type of job when we are slammed and are in a groove working. Besides, some have no desire to teach you how to do it yourself, just to never see your dog again. It's like a waste of their time (again, no offense) to show some one else how to groom their own dog knowing that you won't be using their services in the future.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
aww, it sucks that what looks to be a good groomer can't fit you in, but it isn't anything against you, she truely probably is full!!
And IMO, when I tell people I'm full, I mean I'm FULL. No I cannot squeeze in your lil dog. No I cannot fit in just a quick tidy up of your poodle.

I had a guy try to argue with me at christmas time that I should be working longer hours if I'm turning people away, and surely, if the work is there then I should be taking it, I can't just turn work away. Needless to say I am rushed off my feet and working 50-60 hour weeks in December, so when I said i was full, I really did mean it! lol.

In saying that, I am keeping myself under check better since then, and not burning myself out like I was, so yes I'd probably have time to fit in a wee tidy up of bracelets which would probably only take 10-15 mins. But not for 3-4 weeks. If you wanted to be 'slotted in', it'd be 10-15 mins of my lunch break that is being taken up, and I don't always even have a 15 min lunch break! So yeah, she probably really is simply full up. Sucks for you though!

Fingers crossed you'll find a nice groomer to help you, but if worst comes to worst you can always give it a go yourself, check out my 'bevels' thread that plumcrazy posted for pics; it's not too hard really...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dang wish you were nearer Yakima..my groomer loves to show people how to do stuff..say it makes it easier for her when she does have to do them..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Yakima is too far too unfortunately lol. Ill keep looking and see how things pan out. If i found a good place and never become comfortable with doing them then i would be a repeat customer and i would recommend the place to everyone i knew! If they sold merchandise then i would buy stuff form them too.... i just really really dont want to do it the first time. I want a pattern to be set the first time then i might attempt it the next time they need trimming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts