Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First: No I will not share a current pic of her. I started grooming, got approximately 15-20% through and the stupid clipper quit working. I turned it off after cleaning the blade so I could get the liquid left on it, off. And it simply never turned on again. I will have another in a few days until I get it repaired and serviced. So I’m upbeat about that.

The great news: I was very apprehensive about starting with Zeke’s face. Just no experience whatsoever, and I’m so afraid of hurting him. So I decided to start on Stella. She’s pretty much a straightforward take-down which is why I chose her. I bathed her one day and she still smells great! Lavender/oatmeal shampoo. The next day I got her on the grooming table, and had a dear friend in FaceTime with me so she could be my cheerleader lol. I had no problem getting the loop over her head, and to make a long story very short, she stood completely still for me: like I’d been grooming her her entire life. I was so proud of her! And it helped me to remain calm and relaxed while I tried to navigate around with the clippers. Such an awesome first experience!

Every word of encouragement and pieces of advice, joking with me about being a beginner and all the help in finding the equipment I needed, from all of you, gave me the confidence to finally jump in and just start. I am so grateful for support I am given here on PF.

Ok. One pic I guess. Before you see her, let me just say she looks like a homeless bag lady. But it’s not my fault! Waaaaaaa.

There is quite a bit more done on the other side as that is where I started. So please laugh as hard and as long as you want. I haven’t stopped yet.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Go You!!! The hardest stroke is the first one and you're past it now!!

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
I really like that photo. It shows off her beautiful, too-big-to-true distinctive ears with the lovely feathering on them, and that cute twirly tail. She looks like a separate and rare breed of dog. I like it.

As for grooming, I would be inclined to keep more fur along her stomach and upper back thighs. Here's an awkward photoshop of the idea. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vita I was kind of thinking along the same lines myself. I think she would look cute with almost a little skirt along th bottom sides. Unfortunately the thigh is already shaved on the other side, but not so short. I’ll have to see if I can work with it.

Thank you for your suggestion and the pic! It helps to actually see it.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
She’s so cute that even a first attempt at grooming won’t mask it. And kudos to you for getting started. It gets easier each time and it won’t be long before you are confident. 👏👏👏

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everybody for the votes of confidence! I'm just waiting to find out how to get my clippers fixed. Not having so much luck there. I'm glad you all think she still look so cute. lol! Her previous owner told me anyone could groom her and there was no such thing as a bad haircut for her. I have proof now, there really is such a thing.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
First: No I will not share a current pic of her. I started grooming, got approximately 15-20% through and the stupid clipper quit working. I turned it off after cleaning the blade so I could get the liquid left on it, off. And it simply never turned on again. I will have another in a few days until I get it repaired and serviced. So I’m upbeat about that.

The great news: I was very apprehensive about starting with Zeke’s face. Just no experience whatsoever, and I’m so afraid of hurting him. So I decided to start on Stella. She’s pretty much a straightforward take-down which is why I chose her. I bathed her one day and she still smells great! Lavender/oatmeal shampoo. The next day I got her on the grooming table, and had a dear friend in FaceTime with me so she could be my cheerleader lol. I had no problem getting the loop over her head, and to make a long story very short, she stood completely still for me: like I’d been grooming her her entire life. I was so proud of her! And it helped me to remain calm and relaxed while I tried to navigate around with the clippers. Such an awesome first experience!

Every word of encouragement and pieces of advice, joking with me about being a beginner and all the help in finding the equipment I needed, from all of you, gave me the confidence to finally jump in and just start. I am so grateful for support I am given here on PF.

Ok. One pic I guess. Before you see her, let me just say she looks like a homeless bag lady. But it’s not my fault! Waaaaaaa.

View attachment 465941

There is quite a bit more done on the other side as that is where I started. So please laugh as hard and as long as you want. I haven’t stopped yet.
She does still look cute! Keep it up😎!

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
What brand are your clippers? I sent my Oster A5 to Oster for refurbishing and the service was excellent. If you have an Andis they may have similar program. You might want to fix your old clippers to have as a backup.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Oster golden A5. I’m going to contact Oster tomorrow as customer service is closed on the weekend. I hope they are open with what’s going on. But I was sent another Oster golden A5 2 speed to try. It works, but I think it also needs servicing. I’m going to try and finish Stella later if it cuts ok.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
What a cutie! Congrats on having her behave so well. Mine never has. I am curious what she is mixed with to get those standup ears?

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a cutie! Congrats on having her behave so well. Mine never has. I am curious what she is mixed with to get those standup ears?
Thank you. Her behaving herself is almost 8years of her being groomed. She did that all in her own! She is half poodle and half pomeranian. Her coat is super dense, but also soft like a bunny lol. Either the great mix of both furs, or a total fluke!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts