Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... but it was because I was admitted for observation How fun.... no, not so much.

It's a real nice place and all, brand new state of the art, the whole nine yards, everything you could ever want in a non hospital like setting with most of the medical bells and whistles hidden away behind the flat screen TV with DVD player. However, I'm not looking forward to any repeat visits until at least Feb. In fact was told I may not be able to repeat my visit even in then since for all it's fantastic features it does not have a NICU, nor does the hospital it is attached to. I have been told to be prepared to be transferred to the main Sacred Heart campus two hours away which will be exactly like giving birth in a regular hospital room... or in that case actually it would be a regular O.R. without my regular doctor all for the use of the NICU which Nicholas will need if he and I can't play nicely and work together on this grow a baby project. A fair trade perhaps but not a happy one.

On the bright side the really awful blood pressure that send us there from the OB's office this morning could not be duplicated by the nursing staff in L&D nor could the abnormal blood work. All of their readings were lower than some of my very first results in the begining of my pregnancy. Weird, but it allowed me to come home after a few hours so I won't complain :p What I will unashamedly bitch about was the awful IV in my hand that they decided needed to be done in case I needed medication or fluid, which I didn't. The used it to draw what looked like a million little vials of blood to repeat last weeks blood work. I don't do well with needles but have almost gotten used to the pokes in the arm for blood work so long as it is reasonably quick and I can distract myself enough from what is going on to not pass out. No such luck here, there is no distracting yourself from that, even after it is over it hurts for as long as it is in... at least this one did. I will also complain about the ultrasound. Umm WOW.. if I thought the needle made me lightheaded without so much as a minute or two to recover from trying to hold it together for the IV and blood draw here comes the friendly neighborhood ultrasound complete with tech. It wasn't her fault.... it really wasn't, you are supposed to have a full bladder before an ultrasound so they can see what they need. Super dehydrated me however had already provided two tiny samples one to the OB before she decided to send me to L&D and one to the nurse who admitted me. The normally almost fun ultrasound that takes 15 minutes turned into the awful evil tech who is putting what feels like most of her weight down on my belly button trying to see everything she needs to see for almost 40 minutes. I almost couldn't stop myself from passing out and I did eventually give up the fight and throw up.

The real irony here is that the last two weeks I have felt better than any other time in my pregnancy... but the doctor keeps finding red flags that say otherwise. How weird. I have to go back Tues and Wed for more testing and then follow up. Hopefully the repeat testing will show I am A-OK.
Nicholas by the way is fine, healthy as far as we can tell, super duper active, and growing. He's put on 5 ounces in the last two weeks and could now weigh as much as four pounds though the current estiment is int he 3 pound range but is a plus or minus or 8 oz I'm told.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I was beginning to wonder where you were at. It's great that you've been feeling better. I'm so ready to see real pic of little Nicholas, you're in the home stretch!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, I'm certainly glad that it wasn't anything serious. Having had 5 kids I've made my fair share of trips to the L&D when I didn't want to be there. I have to say that the thing that scared me the most was the stupid IV. I hate those things.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my, Kpoos I don't think I could do this five times lol. Nicholas might have to be it, as much as it would be fun to add a sister to the family. I dunno but I don't think they could make those IV's hurt any worse, maybe it's just a more sensative place to be poked. It still hurts and I have a big hole that I can see where the needle was and a round bruise. Kind of looks like a big bite in a way. Thankgod that the tape she used to hold it in place was easy to get off. She used a ton of it but whew I kept looking down at my hand thinking... as much as this kind of hurt I wonder if I can just keep it until I go into labor, it looks like it's going to be pretty painful to take it off. LoL.

I am wondering if almost every lady has to make an unplanned trip to L&D at some point in her pregnancy, I don't know anyone personally who hasn't. Maybe I've "done my time" so to speak and won't have to do it again :)

LoL, Im still supposed to have 10 weeks to go Harley chik, that seems like a long time. I guess it really isn't, might be a good idea to finish the nursery and a couple of other projects that I had planned.

John was a bit upset when I repeated the message about moving to the other hospital and seems concerned now. I caught him on the net researching various complications that go along with what I'm being tested (haha and re-tested) for. He's trying to act like the big strong hubby but he's such a marshmellow lol. He sort of looked at me funny when he realized by listening to the voicemail that our doctor while reassuring us that possibly nothing was really wrong and this was all a precaution she was behind the scenes preparing to deliver as early as today if need be. I love that about my OB, she doesn't tell you more than you need to know at the moment unless you ask. I'm sure she realizes thats sometimes ignorance is bliss and no sense worring or cause you a scare until she has more to go on :) I guess she'll elaborate more on Wednesday after she gets my "homework" from today/tonight back from the lab. I am determined to be as still as possible for the next two days so I can go back and proudly announce I have been cramp free since she saw me last and there is no need to continue with the worries, right?

Side note, would you believe I haven't gained one single pound, that is my goal for christmas actualy. I have decided I want to be one pound heavier after new years :p sort of like a reverse of everyone else resolution. I still won't technically have gained any weight since they'd count it as putting weight I lost to morning sickness back on but hey it's like getting permission to eat an extra slice of cake, just this once :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having such a tough go of it. My youngest tried to come at 30 weeks and I ended up being shipped off to a different hospital with a NICU for five days of nasty meds to keep him in. Then I came home on bedrest (and had to take some pill every six hours around the clock until I hit 35 weeks). He ended up coming at 38 weeks. So hopefully, you'll have the same situation - some scares, but a little guy who ends up coming when he is supposed to! And I can totally see why you aren't thinking about future little ones at this moment, you've definitely had a hard time. But you may be surprised at what a few years will do to your memory! :) (I swore I was done and here I am, five years later with a third on the way).
We found out that our third is going to be a boy. I was so surprised - I just knew this one was a girl! :) But he made it VERY clear that he will join his brothers in peeing on the toilet someday! LOL.
Glad you are home and hope everything goes well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts