Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I went to the feet store today to get rat food. This is the type of feed and seed / farm and garden supply place that also carries pets and supplies. They provide the bare minimum for their animals and tend to breed a lot of their own stuff. All of their rodents and bred in house as are their guinea pigs and rabbits. They keep breeding animals on site all the time pretty much. They don't neglect their animals and they clean and such, but well.... you know, it just isnt the best of the best care wise. If it wasn't the only place to get the particular kind of rat food that I feed my clan, which happens to be pretty much the best on the market, I wouldn't even go in there. Buuuutttt of course anytime I do I just HAVE to look around. We go through the same routine every time we go in and it usually results in me pestering my hubby like a starving child for this animal or that or a new cage or whatever. I will say that you can find some good plants at this place as well as the occasional exotic animal that you just wouldn't expect to run across, like hedgehogs from time to time, or these awsome long tail finches. Neat stuff. Anywho we went through our little routine of looking at everything and then we measured out our 7pounds of rat food that we get and proceeded to the front counter. Right next to the counter was this little cage with a crazy rockstar looking guinea pig. On the cage was a sign that read Guinea Pig, 19.99, Cage, water bottle, and bowl included - Zypher, which I guess was his name. I commented that the cavy was probably somebody's pet and about that time it noticed us and started making all sorts of noises and crawling up on the bars of it;s cage to get out attention. The lady behind the counter, who's known me most of my life, confimed my statement and started telling us how sad it was and that he was soooo sweet and nice. A lady had come in a dropped him off saying she just didn't want him anymore. John didn't hesitate, he's comming with us. I'm not one to condone impulse buys like that but well.... every so often something just jumps out and grabs at you like this guy did. Before we got Jazz we were planning to get cavies from a breeder in alabama, so at least we already were prepared to take care of one. The nice lady at the counter, I have never known her name lol, 'forgot" to charge us full price for all of our purchases and said she knew he would have a great home with us.

Isn't he cute??? How could we say no?

Poor little guy, look how tiny the cage is :(

We spent the rest of the afternoon purchasing supplies for a new cage and then building the new cage. Mojo, which he has been renamed, seems right at home. He's going to the vet tomarrow, I'll just pop him in and have him checked over - benifits of being a former employee - no appt required for small stuff :) I'll also ask them to confirm the *** and see if that can tell how old he might be. After that my best friend (who is comming up from tampa to meet Jazz!) and I are going out on the hunt to see if we can locate a friend for Mojo, since hubby thinks he's lonely and I've read they are happiest in groups. Just to be safe purchased supplies for a second perminate cage for the new addition just in case Mojo decides he doesn't want a new friend.
I'm so excited. Hubby realized though a few hours ago that he told me back in October, You have to pick, you can have a poodle (we had just found Jazz up for sale on craigslist) or you can get the guinea pigs... either way NO MORE new pets until all the rats die - promise?! He looked at me over dinner and said " Dang it, I just realized you got the poodle AND the guinea pig !!) Poor Hubby.... he should have known better, he knew what he was getting when he married me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mojo is very cute! And in our house, technically it would have been John who got the guinea pig since it was his idea! I'd be telling DH that I got my dog and he got his guinea pig!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mojo is very cute! And in our house, technically it would have been John who got the guinea pig since it was his idea! I'd be telling DH that I got my dog and he got his guinea pig!
You know you're right... I think I'll tell him that, dang he's already asleep. Bummer LoL. In the morning though... :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
What fantastic face markings he has - definately a rockstar :smile: We don't have any rodents in our household and I would love a little pig or maybe a rat. Unfortunately there are only so many hours in any day and mine seem to be in short supply to look after everyone I have now, so there won't be anymore additions for us for a little while.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Congrats on your new addition. Thats great that he found a good home with you, hubby and all your other critter's.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used to breed and show guinea pigs. Such a fun little animal. They usually are very social but you can expect some tiffs in the beginning as they are trying to establish who is the leader. (Although that looks like a lot of climbing on top of each other and usually some screaming. However, a true attack will have teeth showing and a true look of fighting.)
Yours has really nice markings. I love TSW guineas!! I had that color in Peruvians and texels.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Awww, he is a cute one! I love the cavies, ect but my allergies don't! We used to have rats and they were just such interesting little mammals! If we had more time I would look into getting some of the naked (hairless) guinea pigs I have seen on-line! I am not so sure the hairless cats would get along well with the pigs though! LOL

He is a cute one and I agree...hubby got what HE WANTED, don't let him twist that around! LOL

·
Registered
305 Posts
So adorable! He looks like my last piggy that just died a few months ago. I love their sqeaky little faces!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to breed and show guinea pigs. Such a fun little animal. They usually are very social but you can expect some tiffs in the beginning as they are trying to establish who is the leader. (Although that looks like a lot of climbing on top of each other and usually some screaming. However, a true attack will have teeth showing and a true look of fighting.)
Yours has really nice markings. I love TSW guineas!! I had that color in Peruvians and texels.
Ooohhhh you had texels??? *swoons* I LOVE those. That is what we were going to get from the breeder before we found Jazz.
Somebody on the cavy forum I just joined said Mojo was a peruvian type pig or maybe a peruvian and abby mix. She said Abby's don't have the rooster tail thing on their butts but Peruvians do. I love his hair!!! LoL, ehe's sooo cute.

Went "shopping" for a friend for him today and I was looking for a young male since I read this was better than getting an adult male. The only one I found was a huge Abby male with punk rocker hair, and really even markings in light brown and white. Sooooo cute. I haven't decided on him yet. I'm a litte nervous to try and intro two adult males, so far everything I've been able to find about introducing pigs says that is a no no. :(

·
Registered
478 Posts
I thought Abby/Peruvian when I saw him. I had a mix once that resembled him in the way his tail shoots up. Very cute - adds such personality.
Yes, I would be cautious about adding an adult male - I would want to add a baby male.
Sometimes Craigslist will have baby guineas on there if you can't find one.
I don't know what you are feeding him, but I wouldn't do too much regular lettuce as it isn't that great nutritionally and can give loose stools. I used to get parsley (it was fairly cheap) in bundles and carrots. Mine loved apples too.
I love guinea pigs! You are going to have so much fun!
Oh - and I'll have to post a picture of my champion texel boy. His hair was SOO pretty. He had Shirley Temple ringlets.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh please do post pictures!!! I would love to see them.

Mojo isn't getting any lettuce at all, he's getting carrots right now because thats about all we have in the house John tried to give him a little tomato but he wouldnt eat it. He's funny, he wants them right out of the fridge nice and cold. He doesn't seem interested in them once they reach room temp. I have to go shopping tonight to restock the kitchen so I'll be getting some extra veggies and fruits for Mo too. We've also got timothy hay and some pelleted guinea pig food.

I checked the craigslist in my area and so far there really aren't any piggies. Somebody had a pair of four month old males buuutttt they wanted like 60 dollars. I e-mailed and asked if they would rehome just the pig, I don't need the cage, and the answer was no. 60 dollars for the pair, would only place them as a pair, and the homemade cage and everything went with them. Sheesh, for that much $$$ I can go and get a couple of them at some of the petstores here..... if they had any lol. I could get one at petsmart for 35dollar, 'cept my psmart only sells girls. John wants to go back to the feed store today and get one the young ones they had for sell up there. I'm not thrilled about getting anything live from there but I guess I'll make this one exception.

I did notice something about Mojo today that I think I am going to have to take him back to the vet about. He had a little peice of bedding stuck in his boy parts and I got it out no problem but when I was speading everything apart and "poking around down there" I noticed that it looked like he might have some sort of infection?? This gross white gunky.."stuff" was all packed in there. I cleaned it with a paper towel and man did it smell... it is a very strong urine/amonia smell/ dirty nasty gross smell. I don;t know how to discribe it exactly. Not that same as an infection in a wound or in an ear or something, but definitly not right. Poor guy. Off to do some more research on what that might and what to do about it until my day off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts