Poodle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Dog breed Felidae Carnivore Comfort Textile

We went to Petco over the weekend to get some toys and treats for Goose and some food and treats for Perses and Artemis. Goose did very well, we put her in the cart so she wouldn't pull anywhere and everywhere and since we don't have a good harness for her yet. She really wanted to play with the other dogs that she saw there and wanted to pick out several toys and wanted to say hi to everyone and tell them she's Goose. She did jump out of the cart at the end of the trip because she saw 2 dogs at the same time! She didn't hurt herself thank God, and she got a French fry or 2 after that.

The LambChop that we got her is ripped already and I think I will have to throw it away because she likes the stuffing.😔

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts
If lambchop is destuffable then you could try to turn it into a flat toy. For the harness you could consider a martingale harness like the one sleepypod makes if she is backing out of the ones you got here.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
If lambchop is destuffable then you could try to turn it into a flat toy. For the harness you could consider a martingale harness like the one sleepypod makes if she is backing out of the ones you got here.
Thank you for the great idea. I destuffed Lambchop as you suggested and Goose like it better as a flat toy. Is the Freedom Harness a martingale harness? I got it and she still got out of it😖

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
We had our first training class the Wednesday before last. Our trainer could tell right away that Goose is a street baby, so this explains a lot! She was very scared at class and it was heartbreaking, but the trainer said she will be fine and she will need a lot of time and patience. I tried contacting the rescue we got her from to get some more info on her and it's been 9 days since I contacted them and I believe we are being ghosted. I always hate when people do this, but as long as she will be okay and we work with our trainer on helping her we want to keep her.

Goose had been mouthing with teeth when I asked her to do something or when she couldn't get to or do what she wanted to do. It seemed that she was getting stressed and going over her threshold so I started going slower and giving a lot of treats when she settles down and relaxes. She hasn't mouthed with teeth since! But she still tries to get us to play with her by jumping around, barking very loud, play growling, it's obnoxious but very silly and funny at the same time though. It's very hard not to smile and laugh when she does it. She sometimes mouths with it and then she gets a 5 minute time out so she's learning that it's not okay at all to make any skin contact with her teeth at all.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Tints and shades Flash photography

Goose had fallen asleep in my tent bed. She can be very anxious and not want to sit still because of it so it is always amazing to see her relax and she is relaxing more and more each day, and today she relaxed in the living room for a while.

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
Goose really is cute.

Several of my neighbors have street dogs from the Caribbean. One sounds very similar to Goose - timid and a bit reactive. This dog has come around quite nicely with lots of attention and training over a period of several years. Her owners walk her twice a day, so she has become accustomed to the sights of the neighborhood. They also practiced walking her with their trainer's dog and then another neighbors dog. They started out with the dogs walking on opposite sides of the street. Then, as the dogs got accustomed to each other, they were able to move closer together.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Goose’s face melts my heart. What a cutie girl.

I hope your rescue gets back to you during the week, could understand not responding on a weekend. How disappointing if they don’t. I’ve never personally got a dog from a rescue, but have read good and bad experiences from others.

I know the lengths you will go to train Goose what it means to be a dog. You have the wisdom to see it through with patience and love. I’m cheering for both of you.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts