Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So glad that you are sharing Goose with us and staying with the forum. Even tho Goose is not a poodle, it is so much fun to see her pictures.
Yes, the forum wouldn't be the same without you Fenris-wolf. You are a bright light and I find your enthusiasm is contagious!
Me too so happy you have goose and I think we should certify her as a poodle. I love hearing all about her.
Thank you, this means a lot to me. 馃槉

Registered
Wow, she鈥檚 4 months. They grow up quickly as you know, so savor this puppy time with Goose.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
She's such an attractive pup. So sleek. So cute! Love the white tips on her paws and tail.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We have had a great day! We have started on learning sit and down today. She is catching on so quick!! We also jammed out to some music together, went to Petsmart to get some treats for her, and she saw a white kitten, guinea pigs, (we stayed away from them because I didn't want them to get too scared) and a screaming toddler who was out with his parents and very happy to see the animals there. She handled everything so well and I'm so proud of her. This is the third time I have taken her there.

I just moved her potty location to the patio today because she has just been peeing on the pads just because we put them down and now she has started just peeing on the floor in her X-pen, so I want to make sure she goes on the patio and only when she needs to.

Also, I feel very blessed to have had Sisko. I feel like the training and experience I had with him has really gone a long way for me when training and working with Goose and feel like it will also help when I work with other dogs. That feeling is deeper than I can truly explain.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
She likes to flop out of peoples arms and has successfully done it 3 times. 馃ゲ She hasn't gotten hurt, but I thought her doing it the first time she would have learned not to do it again. I was wrong 馃槖

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was trying to figure out what job Goose could have and do. I would love to do search and rescue with her.

Premium Member
Have you thought of training Goose to be a therapy dog? Strikes me that so many people could get better just being around Goose - at least have a happy time with him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Have you thought of training Goose to be a therapy dog? Strikes me that so many people could get better just being around Goose - at least have a happy time with him.
I haven't, but I am now! I was doing some research last night about the requirements for therapy dogs. The trainer that we will be taking her to for puppy classes also evaluates for CGC and therapy dogs so I will be talking with her and get her opinion on Goose for it.

Registered
I was trying to figure out what job Goose could have and do. I would love to do search and rescue with her.
I know people who do search and rescue. It鈥檚 a huge commitment and I mean huge time wise and expensive. The training is many hours a week, not the time most people would do. Training is documented and you have to go where they want you; it may be inconvenient but you go. You need a vehicle. You as the handler may be required to get certified in things like CPR or evidence handling etc. My friends had to also train their dogs to take down criminals and deal with being attacked by knives, guns and other weapons. (They aren鈥檛 knowingly put in unsafe places, but they need to be prepared). You may be expected to fly somewhere at your own expense with your dog on short notice. The need for search and rescue is emotionally draining. You might be looking for a missing child and find a body. You might be hunting an escape from prison. You will also spend time at fundraisers to help afford to do this work. It鈥檚 also rewarding work and important to the community 鈥 these people are real heroes.

Before taking dogs for search and rescue, in my area, dogs and handlers need to pass the AKC CGC test first. Someone who was in my class and failed the test two e was very upset because it was holding her back from getting accepted for search and rescue training.

If you can take scentwork and tracking classes with Goose 鈥 it鈥檚 the same training. You will gain skills so if you want to do search and rescue when you are older and in position to do it, you鈥檒l be better prepared.

Therapy dog work is very rewarding and there鈥檚 a real need. It鈥檚 trained along with AKC CGC. I would love for you to take the sequence of classes where you and Goose can pass the CGC. Your trainer can help you plan your classes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I know people who do search and rescue. It鈥檚 a huge commitment and I mean huge time wise and expensive. The training is many hours a week, not the time most people would do. Training is documented and you have to go where they want you; it may be inconvenient but you go. You need a vehicle. You as the handler may be required to get certified in things like CPR or evidence handling etc. My friends had to also train their dogs to take down criminals and deal with being attacked by knives, guns and other weapons. (They aren鈥檛 knowingly put in unsafe places, but they need to be prepared). You may be expected to fly somewhere at your own expense with your dog on short notice. The need for search and rescue is emotionally draining. You might be looking for a missing child and find a body. You might be hunting an escape from prison. You will also spend time at fundraisers to help afford to do this work. It鈥檚 also rewarding work and important to the community 鈥 these people are real heroes.

Before taking dogs for search and rescue, in my area, dogs and handlers need to pass the AKC CGC test first. Someone who was in my class and failed the test two e was very upset because it was holding her back from getting accepted for search and rescue training.

If you can take scentwork and tracking classes with Goose 鈥 it鈥檚 the same training. You will gain skills so if you want to do search and rescue when you are older and in position to do it, you鈥檒l be better prepared.

Therapy dog work is very rewarding and there鈥檚 a real need. It鈥檚 trained along with AKC CGC. I would love for you to take the sequence of classes where you and Goose can pass the CGC. Your trainer can help you plan your classes.
I never thought about search and rescue dogs and their handlers going into situations where they would have to take down someone. Are the dogs trained to just pin the person down? Or do they have to bite? Was the lady able to pass eventually? I can definitely take scentworks or tracking with Goose. I think she would love it!

I am definitely not in the position to do search and rescue yet, but I will still consider it when I am older. Thank you! I will definitely see about Goose becoming a therapy dog!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
We took Goose to a waterfront yesterday and she did amazing! We carried her around since she hasn't had her last puppy core vaccines yet. She saw people, kids, Puget Sound, boats, jet skis, jellyfish, clams, a ferry and she heard it's horn and she saw other dogs. She slept so well after that. I can tell that she really loves to go places. I can't wait to take her to more places after she is vaccinated.

We were inside Target today. I held her most of the time, but let her walk around in the low traffic areas. She acted like she has done this all her puppy life. She was calm around people, kids and shopping carts. She wasn't afraid of anything there. She tried to get this employee to pet her though while she was in my arms because she was really close to her. 馃槄 She was like "pet me please馃ズ" She sat when I asked her to and lied down when we weren't moving.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Perses and Artemis are doing extremely well with Goose. They have been around her when she is in her kennel and puppy pen, and I think Artemis loves her because she has been staying close to her kennel. She never lays down where her kennel is. I still want to wait at least another week for on leash meets.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts