Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i belong to a horse forum because i have a horse lol and there is a new thread about using goop to whiten and strip the coat. Goop is a hand degreaser i guess that you get at like Schucks or a hardware store. Its like using Dawn i suppose but it really whitens white dogs i guess.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or has tried it? I bathed Mister today and the back of his legs by his foot are stained so i might try it next time i bathe him.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would worry that it would gum up the coat and not come out. Have you ever used bluing liquid? You buy it in the laundry isle at the grocery store. Ad just a bit to the shampoo (shampoo should be sky color) and you get great results.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Cbrand what brand name is the bluing liquid? I've looked for it and can't find anything, maybe I'm not looking for the right thing. (I've wanted to try it on Bailey.)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Goop breaks down grease. When there is no grease, shampoo (soap) can cleanse the cuticle of the hair. When the cuticle is very clean, it allows more light to pass thru which gives the illusion of being whiter than before.

HOWEVER, there is a downside. Its a vicious cycle. Does anyone here have to continually use either chap-stick or nose spray? Its the same thing. Better for a while......but WORSE afterward. The ultra-clean white hairs have tiny little pores that make the hair almost translucent...looking ultra white. But those same pores are wide open to collect dirt, dust and stains. I only use whitener on my dogs right before any showing or anything like that. Otherwise, its just a hypoallergenic shampoo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Goop is pretty harsh..i don't know anything about what it would do to an animals coat/ skin

but i do know its a strong degreaser - and i leave that stuff to the folks in the mechanic industry

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah thats kind of what i was thinking too....i mean i dont show him so i dont need him super super white. I have heard of the bluing stuff from the store. My friend uses it on her Sibs white spots.
I didnt know it would be like chapstick with us Partil2poodles....thanks for the input. I would imagine its very harsh and strips all the essential oils out of their skin and hair. I will post on the horse forum to beware and not use it all the time.

The woman that posted the original ad used to use it on her cat that she showed! She swears by it....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I never use laundry, cleaning or human products on dogs....its a huge no-no in the professional grooming industry. Stick to products designed for canines. I went on a UKc website about grooming for the show ring. I was appalled. They recommend TIDE, Shout, and Downey. Give me a break!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't know about Tide and all the rest but I watched two youtube videos where the pro handler was using Dawn to start the bath and then of course added in a good shampoo to replensh what was stripped and a really thick conditioner that was left in. One was a spoo and the other a shih tzu. I know that if you don't cleanse that silicone out of the hair it's going to weigh it down and eventually the conditioners you put on there won't even adhere to the cuticle anymore. I just deep cleansed my own hair last night because I use sillicone products and then second wash used the silicone shampoo and it was so soft and fluffy (like a poodles LOL) that I will do that once a week.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Thanks for the website cbrand, they actually have it in all the major grocery stores around me. So is it an all over body thing or more for spot cleaning? How often would you use it? Do you dilute it?
Thanks!
Pretty much every handler I know uses this bluing liquid to brighten their white/cream dogs. You can buy "dog" products, but the ingredients are the same and you pay a whole lot more.

You ad a little into your shampoo. The shampoo should be the color of a bright blue sky. If you add too much, you will dye the dog blue, so moderation is the key.

Shampoo the dog all over. Watch those eyes! You will LOVE the results.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty much every handler I know uses this bluing liquid to brighten their white/cream dogs. You can buy "dog" products, but the ingredients are the same and you pay a whole lot more.

You ad a little into your shampoo. The shampoo should be the color of a bright blue sky. If you add too much, you will dye the dog blue, so moderation is the key.

Shampoo the dog all over. Watch those eyes! You will LOVE the results.
Awesome thanks cbrand....im kind of scared that ill dye him lol.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Paul Mitchell makes a lovely shampoo for white dogs, I have also had very good luck with Bio-Groom Super White (it is blue, Paul Mitchell is Purple), I sometomes mix the two.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Goop breaks down grease. When there is no grease, shampoo (soap) can cleanse the cuticle of the hair. When the cuticle is very clean, it allows more light to pass thru which gives the illusion of being whiter than before.

HOWEVER, there is a downside. Its a vicious cycle. Does anyone here have to continually use either chap-stick or nose spray? Its the same thing. Better for a while......but WORSE afterward. The ultra-clean white hairs have tiny little pores that make the hair almost translucent...looking ultra white. But those same pores are wide open to collect dirt, dust and stains. I only use whitener on my dogs right before any showing or anything like that. Otherwise, its just a hypoallergenic shampoo.
I've done this! Nasal spray (allergies) and Chapstick. Got so I couldn't go without using them. I had the reverse happen with FloNase. My nose was more stuffed after a long period of use than it was before I started using it. I had to stop using Flonase and only use Chapstick when absolutely necessary. I worked for a woman the past couple of years who openly admitted that she was addicted to Chapstick and couldn't stop using it.

It makes total sense that the pores will stay open and then make things much worse in the end. Like another member said, I think whitening products should be used only occasionally to prevent harm to the cuticle of the hair.

I don't have a white poodle at this time, but hope to have one in the future.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah so i posted on the horse forum warning people about the pore thing and they about bit my head off!!! Oh well its not my problem i guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts