Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
230 Posts
With my first standard I didn’t use a dryer. I kept her short and towel dried her and then brushed her out after she air dried. It’s not good for “coat maintenance” but if you want a short coat, you don’t have the same concerns over someone growing a show coat or wanting long hair to grow.

It is harder to get a clipper through a coat that isn’t fluff dried, but not impossible if you brush and comb first. Your finish won’t be neat and crisp like when professionally groomed—since the hair won’t dry straight—but if that’s not the look you’re going for, you don’t need to stretch dry the coat straight.

You could get an inexpensive high velocity dryer. It would significantly cut down drying time. And it would help get the coat pretty straight, which will make clipping easier. They have some inexpensive ones on Amazon. Flying pig is a popular brand.

It doesn’t sound like you need a stand dryer when considering your goals. These are the expensive dryers ($500+). They get the dogs hair really straight and give you a professional looking finish.
As for clippers, I really like artero’s spektra. It is cordless. Battery lasts a long time. Multiple speeds. Digital display. And an array of blades including an option for a 4-in-1. It’s the only clipper I’ve found that lets you change between a 4-in-1 and longer blades.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
230 Posts
?
Does the spektra fit the metal combs that go on andis and oster clippers do you know? I really want to give my dog a 5 all over cut but only have the whal arco 5 in 1 which only has an option to cut comb free 9 which looks waaaay too bald!

Rusty loathes being combed so I would prefer a clipper that fits a 5 blade.
I’ve never tried the metal combs on the spektra, so I don’t know for sure. But, the spektra comes with its own set of combs that are actually pretty good—much better than the Wahl plastic ones. However, personally I would prefer to use a longer blade over combs. And you can get the spektra blades in varying lengths.

Reactions: Tulsi
1 - 2 of 2 Posts