Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What dryer and hair clippers would you recommend for someone who plans on always keeping the fur in a sporting type clip, sorta like the attached pic? Really never going much longer than the longest in this picture.

Theres loads of forum posts and online articles and what dryer and clippers to get for a spoo, but they all tend to be in reference to poodles who have their fur kept in longer cuts that are more complicated to keep up. Talking about needing really high velocity dryers so the long hair can be straightened and such. Not even sure straightening the hair applie to hair that isn’t really kept really long?

So since I’m putting all the time and effort in to learning to do grooming largely myself and do it right, I want a solid dryer and clippers that get the job done well. I don’t need TOP TIER most fancy on the market, but I’d rather fork out a bit extra $$ for what does a solid job to begin with as opposed going for cheaper options (like $90 dryers) that technically work but make the process take longer and more of a pain. Just wanna skip the part where I wish I had just splurged and got what does a good job to begin with to save the headache of wanting to upgrade.

So what would you suggest? For someone who isn’t doing the long all over real fancy cuts, what’s a good gets-it-done dryer and clipper? (Suggestions for brushes welcomed too!)
Dog Water dog Carnivore Working animal Dog breed

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
233 Posts
With my first standard I didn’t use a dryer. I kept her short and towel dried her and then brushed her out after she air dried. It’s not good for “coat maintenance” but if you want a short coat, you don’t have the same concerns over someone growing a show coat or wanting long hair to grow.

It is harder to get a clipper through a coat that isn’t fluff dried, but not impossible if you brush and comb first. Your finish won’t be neat and crisp like when professionally groomed—since the hair won’t dry straight—but if that’s not the look you’re going for, you don’t need to stretch dry the coat straight.

You could get an inexpensive high velocity dryer. It would significantly cut down drying time. And it would help get the coat pretty straight, which will make clipping easier. They have some inexpensive ones on Amazon. Flying pig is a popular brand.

It doesn’t sound like you need a stand dryer when considering your goals. These are the expensive dryers ($500+). They get the dogs hair really straight and give you a professional looking finish.
As for clippers, I really like artero’s spektra. It is cordless. Battery lasts a long time. Multiple speeds. Digital display. And an array of blades including an option for a 4-in-1. It’s the only clipper I’ve found that lets you change between a 4-in-1 and longer blades.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
20 Posts
The photo looks like a 3 blade on the body and either a comb attachment or rough hand scissored legs.. And has a scissored top knot. Blow drying the dog straight will help with a finished look. The flying pig for one dog is a good option the legs are longer than the body as well. I have both corded for body work and cordless for face feet and base of tail. My corded are older so not available anymore. I am a Wahl person and can recommend them as they rebuild their clippers at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't do any home grooming except occasionally touching up the feet. I do give frequent baths. Even in a short clip, Loki can absorb an amazing amount of water. I usually bath him, towel dry, walk him to air dry (I live in Florida so walking is first stage drying, then I use the high velocity dryer to finish. I had a smaller one that I bought for the cockapoos. I had to buy a stronger Flying Pig for Loki. It is also helpful to have when he decides to dig in the mud and I have to hose him down and dry him off. Or decides to stand outside and eat rain.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Get a clipper with high RPM. Oster, Wahl, Andis all make good options. This is where I spent my money and I have no regrets. I personally prefer corded clippers, but my dog has a thick, harsh coat and I don't always prep it well so I find the cordless aren't strong enough. I normally keep her coat short - usually shorter than that picture - and anything longer than that picture and I'm hand scissoring, not using clippers.

I don't own awesome brushes, but do recommend finding a comb with very long, wider spaced tines as they make maintaining tail, ears, and head so much easier. I think my current comb is Andis.

I have mid to low range shears (Kenchii show gear) and they work quite well. Definitely invest in a pair of straights and a pair of curves for the tail, head, and tidying up edges of the legs. 5 min with shears makes a huge difference in how finished a groom looks.

For dryers, I'm happy with my Shelandry dryer. It's potentially not as strong as the more expensive options, but is 'good enough' for my grooming and a massive improvement in speed and hair straightness over a human hair dryer. I love the heat setting (which I use at the beginning and end of the groom) and the continuously variable fan speed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
As for clippers, I really like artero’s spektra. It is cordless. Battery lasts a long time. Multiple speeds. Digital display. And an array of blades including an option for a 4-in-1. It’s the only clipper I’ve found that lets you change between a 4-in-1 and longer blades.
?
Does the spektra fit the metal combs that go on andis and oster clippers do you know? I really want to give my dog a 5 all over cut but only have the whal arco 5 in 1 which only has an option to cut comb free 9 which looks waaaay too bald!

Rusty loathes being combed so I would prefer a clipper that fits a 5 blade.

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
233 Posts
?
Does the spektra fit the metal combs that go on andis and oster clippers do you know? I really want to give my dog a 5 all over cut but only have the whal arco 5 in 1 which only has an option to cut comb free 9 which looks waaaay too bald!

Rusty loathes being combed so I would prefer a clipper that fits a 5 blade.
I’ve never tried the metal combs on the spektra, so I don’t know for sure. But, the spektra comes with its own set of combs that are actually pretty good—much better than the Wahl plastic ones. However, personally I would prefer to use a longer blade over combs. And you can get the spektra blades in varying lengths.

Reactions: Tulsi

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Dog Plant Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

I keep Bobby is a short, sporty clip. I keep it short all year but letting it grow out just a bit in the winter. I always used to have him professionally groomed, which I loved, but his groomer moved a year ago so learned to groom him myself. I definitely haven’t learned to accomplish the same look but I love the curly look so I manage well enough. During the summer I don’t use a dryer so he is nice and curly after his bath. I definitely thoroughly comb and brush him before he is bathed either the same day or the day before. I put in a leave in conditioner and brush him with a human wet hair brush after his bath. Works great! Since I do this he’s easy peasy to brush and comb when dry. In the winter I do dry him as I don’t want him being outdoors all wet when it’s freezing and below.

I recommend a more powerful clipper to get through the thick coat on the body. I am pleased with this Andis model. It moves through the thick and curly coat well.
The Bravura 5 in 1 or similar is a must. I use it pretty much everywhere else. I definitely recommend the metal comb set to go with the Bravura. It works great for the legs, the ears, blending and to touch up the body after using the Andis corded. And of course the face, feet and sanitary.

Textile Cosmetics Brush Office supplies Material property

If you decide to not use a dryer I highly recommend a nice leave in conditioner after the bath and towel dry. A lot of people don’t but I think it makes things way easier for combing and brushing after the bath and in between baths.
I love this stuff but it may be difficult to find. I’m guessing any good leave in would be good.
Bottle Wine Fluid Drink Material property

I love this dryer. Not super cheap but not high end expensive either. I love it because it’s powerful but I also love it because the air doesn’t get hot. I have the two speed.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Fuel tank Gas

Hope this helps! Bobby is pretty easy peasy as Standard poodles go. I love the short sporty look and the ease of care. 😊

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a cheap ($80 when I bought it, $100 now almost 2 years later) dryer. It’s 4.3 hp, has heat, and has variable speed. It works the same today as it did on day 1. It also is pretty quiet. My human hair dryer is louder! I honestly don’t see how she could be dried faster, so I don’t think the cheaper option causes more headaches as long as you’re comparing specs and not just price.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have been really pleased with the Bass brand brushes. I have both the slickers and pins and I think, for the money. they are very nice. They are definitely more affordable compared to the high end brushes. I like the wood handles too. Feels nice in my hands. My favorite comb is another matter. I have the CC 005 butter comb. It was hard to plunk the money down for that but I have no regrets. Love this comb. It’s not necessary as there are less expensive combs that do the job but I do feel this one goes through the cost easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts