Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bobby is a very reliable alarm clock. Every morning, at 5:30, give or take a few minutes Bobby wakes me up. He starts by staring at me with his muzzle on the bed, his nose practically in my eyeballs. He then then proceeds to sniffing and gently licking my ears. He is very polite about it all. He never barks. By this time I am waking up and then we have a nice little petting session. He’s super cuddly. Once I’m out of bed then it’s outside, eat, outside again. He’s then ready to sleep some more, me...nope! It’s good though as I work and still have to get up early. I grab my coffee and we sit in the chair together. I drink my coffee and Bobby snoozes all cuddled next to me. It’s really a very nice routine despite the early morning wake up. What is your poodle’s “Good Morning,” routine?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Aww Bobby sounds so sweet. Renn recently has moved into my bedroom. For whatever reason he no longer wanted to stay in his gated off rooms downstairs all alone, (though I think the cat was annoying him). He doesn't generally wake up until I do but I have a built in alarm that goes off several times between 3 and 5. At 5 I get up and start moving. If Renn is on the floor he will be in the bed when I come back in but will happily jump down and walk downstair with me. Same routine out to potty, in to eat then back to sleep. When we go to bed at night he will do what Bobby does, and come up and sit by the side and stare, then give a few kisses. Usually I say well ok you can come up and he hops up stands for a second and smooches close to me me pets and kisses. When I roll over to sleep he either goes to floor or end of bed, though the last two nights I found him crawling up next to my face on the extra pillows. Not sure whats up with that, lol

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Normie wakes my husband up around 6 so he can have a potty break, then they snuggle in a big chair. My husband listens to podcasts and I think they doze until I come out at 8.

As soon as he hears me, Normie comes down the hall to find me, then slowly stretches and squeaks, before getting his morning pet. I've very proud that he stands on all fours for that and no longer jumps up. (But I do miss the wriggly puppy who'd get so excited to see me that he was in constant motion.)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,777 Posts
We wake up around 5:15-5:30 am. If I'm not up at 5:30, Mia politely wakes me by sighing, shifting her weight, and licking herself. She waits in bed until I'm dressed and heading down the hall, at which point she jumps up and trots behind me, stopping to stretch before entering the living area. I put on my coat and head to the side door; she waits until the door is open to join me, so the door doesn't nick her feet. We walk the length of our horseshoe shaped street, sometimes encountering house cats, deer, or other animals I can't quite make out. More often the frogs and the stars are our company. When we return home, she likes to stop by the refrigerator to remind me to feed her, and I shoo her to her dog bed where she waits for me to prepare breakfast for both of us. I often have her wait until I'm ready to eat, too, but sometimes she eats first. After she eats, her preference is that I join her on the couch and let her lick my bowl when I'm finished. Then she curls up and sleeps until 8 am, at which point it's time for another walk, or on some days, a hike.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oona's routine is still developing and is very much still in the puppy stage as she sleeps in her crate downstairs. Around 7 I come down and open her crate without looking at her or talking to her, and she follows me outside for her morning potty. After she pees she's allowed to say hi, which has resulted in me getting punched in the eye by an enthusiastic poodle schnoz if I'm not careful. Which I'm not usually, pre-coffee. Then we go back in and she gets her breakfast and sleeps on the back of the sofa until the rest of the family comes downstairs. At which point she circulates, keeping herself and everyone else busy as I work on my kid's lunch and my coffee, and she moves between the kitchen and the living room opportunistically hoovering up dropped bits of attention, cheerios, or sandwich fixings. Lately we've been sending her to her mat to chill so she doesn't get too excited with my daughter moving around to get ready, or playing 'find it' with bits of apple or other lunch leftovers stuck in her kong. After my kid leaves for school she settles to nap on the back of the sofa or in my office with me until around 11, usually after one more potty break in the yard. She gets proper walks mid-day and late afternoon, but when I go back to campus we'll have to fit it into the morning routine. I have a feeling me and my partner will fight over who gets to take the dog out vs prepare the lunch and breakfast. Then again, that competition might be seasonal.

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
One of the few rules here is that morning is when I say it is, although if a dog is wriggling and desperate we will go out and then head back to bed. I usually wake up between 6 and 7.30am, depending on the light and how well I have slept, and announce that it is morning, at which point the dogs greet me enthusiastically and one or both cats join in. Normally I then do a few stretching exercises, but for the last few weeks Poppy has been a bit urgent in the mornings because of cystitis so I take them out as soon as possible. Then it is breakfast for all four animals, coffee for me, and catching up on emails , the news, etc, etc online before getting bathed and dressed and out for the first walk of the day. If I delay too long before going up to the bathroom Poppy will remind me - she considers the dog toothpaste a treat!

Reactions: Fenix&Felix

·
Registered
853 Posts
Evie here.
I start by waking my mom up at around 6:00 depending upon what time we went to bed. My preferred method to wake her up is to hit the sides of my wired crate with my paw, but if that does not work I will switch to puking sounds or barking depending on what mood I am in. Then we go outside, and we usaully go for a 2.5 to 3 mile walk directly after that. Then back inside for breakfast, then mom works on stuff while I take my morning nap.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
117 Posts
I used to do daycare so I've always been able to wake up between 5:30 and 6:00. This has worked well with the pups as our early morning trip outside. I no longer have extra kids around but I continue to set my alarm for 6 and take Winnie out. We then go back to bed for a bit. She loves her bedroom crate and rushes right back in and settles down until I get up and get dressed. 🌞

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I used to do daycare so I've always been able to wake up between 5:30 and 6:00. This has worked well with the pups as our early morning trip outside. I no longer have extra kids around but I continue to set my alarm for 6 and take Winnie out. We then go back to bed for a bit. She loves her bedroom crate and rushes right back in and settles down until I get up and get dressed. 🌞
That sounds so cozy.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Annie is not a morning dog. There was a while where I would have a bath before she got up! Now, I normally wake up, pet her a bit, get up (sometimes this requires a very firm voice as I can't get out of bed until she moves), let her out, and then she immediately runs into my mom's room and hops on her bed for another snooze. When mom gets up, she switches to snoozing on the couch.

She formally wakes up at about noon.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I stay awake reading until the wee hour, then sleep late the next day. Asta is on my schedule. He will wake me up, nudge me that it is time for my medication. He also nudges me to remind that I need to take my medicine at night. Super alarm clock - you don't even need to set it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So fun to read everyone! 😊
Dogs are so adaptable, aren’t they? We humans are too.
There has been much researched and
written about the dog and human bond but I think the morning routine sums it all up quite nice...amazing!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
One of the few rules here is that morning is when I say it is, although if a dog is wriggling and desperate we will go out and then head back to bed. I usually wake up between 6 and 7.30am, depending on the light and how well I have slept, and announce that it is morning, at which point the dogs greet me enthusiastically and one or both cats join in. Normally I then do a few stretching exercises, but for the last few weeks Poppy has been a bit urgent in the mornings because of cystitis so I take them out as soon as possible. Then it is breakfast for all four animals, coffee for me, and catching up on emails , the news, etc, etc online before getting bathed and dressed and out for the first walk of the day. If I delay too long before going up to the bathroom Poppy will remind me - she considers the dog toothpaste a treat!
“Morning is when I say it is”—I might have to embroider that and hang it on the wall! I’m semi-retired and work just two 10 hour shifts a week. I have to get up at 0500 on those days but absolutely hate it. Left to my own devices, bedtime is 11pm, get up around 7 am, my dog has learned to adjust accordingly.

My big spoo puppy, Felix, sleeps on my bed with me and I get kisses and cuddles before I exit the bed—it is hands down better than the ex-husband’s morning grumbles!😀

1 - 16 of 16 Posts