Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My groomer has recommended that I get Beau sheared pretty soon, except for his ears and top of his head. She said this will make his new coat coming in easier to manage. Any thoughts on this? When do you feel this is better to do?

Debby

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
At 4 months, heck no way would I shave the little guy down. I didn't do my little kids till they were about 10 months and I never shaved them down all the way! Do you have an updated picture?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beau's up-to-date pictures

get one now.

Debby

I can't seem to make my pictures bigger. If you click on it, it will get a little bigger. Is there a special way to put them on bigger?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hmmm, I've already been thinking of giving Rogan a little shave.. just his body... I wouldn't touch legs, head, or ears obviously, but I just feel like he looks a little unbalanced right now, and everyone says he looks like he's getting FAT! His body is so round and fluffy, it makes his head look so small! I don't think I will wait til 10 months, but I'll try holding out just a little longer! I know they only stay puppies for a very short time... we'll see! lol
Good luck with Beau! I think he's adorable... if you want to give him a little trim, I don't see anything wrong with that at all! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is his coat actually changing yet? Lincoln's (almost 10 months) coat is starting to change, but it's not long at the moment and not a problem so I most likely won't do anything to it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
For a toy, this seems early to me. They usually change their coat at 6 months. From other posts on the forum, I've heard that some prefer to shave it down while others say it really doesn't make any difference.

I personally wouldn't shave it too short. His coat still looks soft and fluffy in the pics.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His coat isn't changing yet, but the groomer, Eva, said that it was best to get him used to the clippers early and that as his hair is so long it is going to be so hard to comb and brush. This will make it easier as his new coat comes in shortly.

Debby

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think this is up to you if the coat is too much to comb or not, not your groomers. If you like it longer and enjoy grooming it, there is no problem with keeping it long. An idea....Instead of cutting the coat short, you can have him scissor trimmed just to shape the coat but only take off a small amount. But, if you find that grooming him is getting harder and want to have easier grooming, then let the groomer give him a full clipping.

I don't think the dog needs to "get used to" clippers on his whole body if he is getting his face/feet/tail done at each grooming. If the dog is used to the clippers in these areas, doing the body will not stress him out anymore than the clipping he gets now.

Personally, I would do a slight scissor trim to shape the coat a little but not cut him short till he is older, he is still young. You definitely may want to have him cut short when he goes into his coat change, I can attest to the fact that taking care of a long coat during the coat change is challenging. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
After re-reading, it made me think. Is your groomer asking if she can use clippers to cut the coat? I would say yes. It is good for them to get used to being groomed and being 4 months old, he will be fine.

I still think you should determine how you want him cut. A complete shave down (very close to the skin) is not necessary. Just let her know what you would like.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. The only reason I would even think about is because he is so spoiled, don't know who did that,:wacko: he will be almost impossible for him to allow her to do fancy cuts on him in the near future, which I dearly want. He fights and hollers just when she does his face and feet, I can't begin to imagine how he will do with the whole body. Poor Eva. She is so great and patient. She has raised some champion dogs. You can tell by the way she treats her dogs and the ones that she grooms that she loves her jobs. I sit there and talk to her for a while, I can't help it, and I can see how she is with these animals. She rescued to beautiful poodles.

Debby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts