Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well stool results came back from vet. Winston is positive for Giardia. I pick up some oral medication in the am on top of the antibiotics i'm already giving him for the staph infection

for the life of me...i don't understand why winston is getting sick so often

off to google Giardia and if its harmful/transmit to humans ( i have two little kids)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
:( I'm sorry. One good thing is that you do know what is causing his loose stool and that you can stop it in it's tracks. I had to read up on it. Sounds like bleach and Lysol will be your friends.

My best to your family and Winston. May you soon enjoy a healthy full life with him. :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am so sorry : ((

His immune system might be compromised by some underlying issue -please do full blood panel also : ((

I hope it is nothing serious and that he will beat those nasty bugs !!!!

Giardia is not a bacteria and is very hard to eradicate. Usually dog's own immune system keeps it in check but recurrence is high in situations of high stress and weakend immune system : (.

I wish you the best of luck with it all :clover:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Children can get Giardia, but it's not usually transmitted from dogs to people. So you should be fine. As long as they don't play in his poop:doh: lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to hear that poor Winston has giardia. My Ellie had it when she was a puppy, and it took a while to get her over it. We went through the antibiotics twice, and she had a very sensitive tummy for quite some time. Just keep the yard picked up after potty, and keep things clean! They are miserable with the diarrhea, I hope that he is better soon!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I'm sorry. Monti has it too. The vet told me to be very, very careful, it's contagious. Even licking, they can clean their bottom and then lick the kids. They have many cases of Giardia now, because of the sudden weather change. I hope for Winston and Monti that one antibiotics will be enough to get rid of it :fingers-crossed:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts