Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Dave and I am looking for a Standard Poodle pup to be our new family member and my hunting and canoe tripping buddy.

We live at the west end of Lake Ontario. My wife and I both had dogs when we were kids. Our own children are 9 and 12 now and we have been talking about getting a dog for a few months now. We are now beginning to look for a breeder to connect with and find our new family member.

I have spent a lot of time with Vizsla’s and other sporting dogs so that was the direction that I was headed in. I have always loved working with dogs while they did the thing they were bred for. When my wife joined in on the research our focus turned towards Standard Poodles. From what I have seen these intelligent and keen dogs would be a very good fit for our family and lifestyle.

We are not in any kind of hurry and I would probably be happy to drive a thousand miles or more to find the right dog.

Any help in the search for a breeder would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Well I am fairly new to st poodles but not to dogs in general. Good luck in your search and I am sure you will get some very good recommendations from this forum. Welcome.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Hi and welcome.

If you are serious about hunting, there are some breeders breeding and training poodles for hunting. Louter Creek Hunting Poodles is one well known breeder but there are others.

Reactions: Redbeard

·
Registered
919 Posts
Welcome! Our Canadian members can chime in with nearby breeders. When I was searching for an agility poodle I looked at agility trial results for breeder names. It is usual to have puppies of differing temperaments/aptitudes within a single litter. It may not be necessary to find a pup from hunting lines, but rather one from a responsible breeder that possesses the characteristics needed for hunting.

https://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/events/show-results/2018-pca-national-results/2018-national-hunting-test-results

P.S. My dog is not from agility lines but was tagged as the likely ‘performance dog’ of his litter,and he is living up to that expectation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at the website of Bibelot Standard Poodles which is also in Ontario and there are several pictures of dogs retrieving birds. Can anyone tell me anything about this breeder?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
You have dialed in on 2 great breeders Both Bibelot and Arreau are fantastic.......you just have to decide what color you want.....Red or Silver? LOL!!

I think Arreau even had a Bibelot dog at one time and 'Bibelot's Tinsmith' is in many of our member's dog's pedigrees! Hope you are lucky enough to acquire either of these breeders pups!

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Welcome Dave! Your wife was right to steer you in the Spoo direction. I have wanted one of Cherie’s puppies since I joined PF. You wouldn’t have to drive thousands of miles, either:) There is a year’s wait for a Louter puppy.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Standard poodles are wonderful and diversely talented dogs. You will enjoy a standard as a hunting companion. You already have a couple of great breeder suggestions, but I don't necessarily think you need a dog specifically from hunting lines to get the kind of worker you will want to cultivate. Make sure you get a dog from a breeder that is thoughtful about structure, genetics, temperament and health testing and then pick a confident pup who will be able to learn to not be fearful of the gun. You may also want to consider Madela Standard Poodles. Delana and Mark are the breeders of my boy Javelin who is a confident lovely worker in obedience, but who I think would do well in many sporting venues.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Very excited, we will be bringing a Standard Poodle puppy home to our family in May!

Nice news for you! If you don't mind sharing, where is your pup coming from?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts