Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone in my community is selling these clippers with extra guards for $50. She says she tried them once on her Westie and gave up. Thoughts on these for a small standard (18-20")? I'm totally lost right now on what is good vs what just can't handle poodle coat.
(Additional helpful information: Poodle has just been born, will come home in October, so I'm in no rush to acquire heavy duty clippers. But I do plan to handle most if not all of my own grooming eventually, so I want to keep an eye out for good prices on necessary tools.)

edited for punctuation and wording

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am a new member & not sure where you are located. I am interested in the clippers.

Could you please let me know if they can be posted to Queensland?

Thank you for your trouble.

Shelley

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, I am a new member & not sure where you are located. I am interested in the clippers.

Could you please let me know if they can be posted to Queensland?

Thank you for your trouble.

Shelley
Sorry if my post was confusing, Shelley. I'm not selling them; I'm wondering if they are a worthwhile purchase for me to make. Also, I'm in the US, in Texas, so I imagine shipping to Queensland would be exorbitant. :)

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
That seems to be an excellent price. I'm sure you have googled to find what the current price is.

I have the Andis AGC2 - I'm not sure what the difference is, but mine are sold on websites which sell to professional groomers - Cherrybrook, PetsEdge. The one in your photos appears to be sold on Chewy and Petsmart.

As long as you can snap the blade on and off to quickly change it while you are working then these are worth considering. If you have to screw tiny screws to replace blades then you don't want to waste your money. The blades can get very hot and can even burn a dog - being able to snap a warm blade off means you can switch to a cool blade, or use spray cooler to quickly cool the original blade and snap it back on to use again. My experience is the cheapest clippers require the blades to be screwed into position. These appear to be the kind where you can snap the blade on.

I can't tell if the guides, sitting on the box are plastic or metal - metal guides are superior for a better coat finish but plastic can work.

Here's the unknown. Some poodles have very thick coats which need heavy duty clippers, but most people can get away with using the cordless ones such as Bravura which are lighter to hold and use, have less vibration and make less noise. If I had my choice and my dog didn't have such a thick coat - I would just buy the Bravura or comparable trimmers such as the Arco.

My minipoo has a particular thick coat - I have a friend who goes to grooming competitions and she keeps begging to take my dog because of her coat. I have the Andis AGC2 corded heavy duty clippers, a Bravura trimmer that I use for her face and sanitary area and a mini Arco (similar to miniBrava) for her feet. I bought my clipper and trimmers on sale - got good prices in December.

I do all my own grooming so I have invested in the best equipment to achieve a professional looking groom. You may not be interested in investing as much in equipment when you're starting out and unsure how much you will be doing. These appear to be a good price and you may be able to resell them later if you decide to use other clippers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! Skylar, that was very helpful information. I looked some things up (apparently "detachable blades" means the snap on and off type; I wasn't sure because even if you have to deal with screws that still seems detachable to me), so I have a slightly better idea of what particulars to pay attention to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts