Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good brands of dog food? I cant afford to drop a whole lot of money on dog food, but I still want to buy what is best for our new guy. So my question to you is what do you suggest I feed him? I am looking for something that does not contain by products, yummy tasting, good for a poodle, and if I really wanted to eat it I could!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What are some good brands of dog food? I cant afford to drop a whole lot of money on dog food, but I still want to buy what is best for our new guy. So my question to you is what do you suggest I feed him? I am looking for something that does not contain by products, yummy tasting, good for a poodle, and if I really wanted to eat it I could!!!
Well if you asked my one yr old son, he would highly recommend what we feed. lol Its called Health Wise from Natura.

Seriously, my one year old Andrew, loves dog food. Anytime he is in the kitchen and I put him down he immediatly crawls over to the dog crates looking for there bowls. Occasionally I forget the bowl is not put up after meal time and I have to fight Andrew to get the 10 pieces of dog food piled in each cheek. He absolutely loves it...Yuck! I swear if you saw how he acts about it, you'd think I didn't feed him. lol

Anyways, I really do recommend that food. Its 30.00 for a 35 lb bag which I think is really good for a better quality food.

http://www.naturapet.com/

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My one yr old always goes for my friends dogs food too!! Gross!! I guess I will have to make sure the bowls go away after meals!!

What do you know about Chicken Soup? Or Innova(SP)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My one yr old always goes for my friends dogs food too!! Gross!! I guess I will have to make sure the bowls go away after meals!!

Ive heard good things about both..ecspecially Innova. I have a very sensitive Pitbull that loses large patches of hair and get's aweful hot spots if her food has wheat in it. The Natura foods are the only food's that don't effect her skin issues and keep her weight stable. My favorite is the Cal Natural sweet potatoe and herring formula. That one is a little more $$ and the Health Wise is good too and lower priced. Thats why we feed the Health Wise instead.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would suggest Blue Buffalo, its a great food and affordable. No by products and you can find it in most pet food stores.

The site curlydog suggested is a good guideline and any food that's rated 4* and up are really good foods to feed.

Not all dogs to well on the same food and you may have to change it up until you find what fits your dog.

What was the breeder feeding?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts

I recently started on chicken soup for the dog lovers soul - whew! mouthful! They love it and its good for them - lots of protein! Did you get a new dog?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I recently started on chicken soup for the dog lovers soul - whew! mouthful! They love it and its good for them - lots of protein! Did you get a new dog?
scratch the question about the new dog - duh! was thinking you were Finn's family. I hope they can get a new dog too.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm a solid gold fan but it isn't cheap... 30 buck for a 15lb bag - Ack, I think we may be switching soon. I'm ashamed to say Jazz was on Pedigree when we got her and because i've been indecisive about what to put her, can't affor the solid gold for her, she is on Purinia One. I am thinking about Wellness though, I found it in a petlandand the lable looks good.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have Gunther on Wellness 'Core'.
My first choice was Orijen,but I think the protein content was too high.
As he is still a growing boy,I feel,that the 'Core' is better for him at this time.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Murphy is on Orijen puppy. I mix a little EVO wet food with it. She's doing great on it. She's growing at a good rate and the vet says her body condition is excellent. I really like both of these foods. I also sometimes use green tripe instead of the EVO.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have tried over 20 brands of dog food on my GSD ( german shepherd) before I start researching and learning about nutrition in pre vet classes. The good dog foods will have no by products in it, it will have a good amount of protein and omega-3 acids. IMO you can get a few good dog foods at commerical pet stores , but I go to ma and pa pet stores to get Innova , evo.

Right now our puppy is on innova we will switch him to evo once he is about 6-12 months. The breeder had him on eukanuba. Eukanuba has a new line called Wild series check it out it look like a good food. My sister and I talked to a rep at this dog show it will probably be much cheaper than innova and evo.

I feed my cats Evo and they have the nices coats and the stole is not smelly ! its firm and easy to clean up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Eagle Pack brand Holistic line in about any flavor is a good one, a bit pricey but a bit less expensive than many of the other by-product free kibbles. No corn or soy in it, and other good stuff instead.

My 2 yr old and 10 month old (my human kids) have been known to dine on it, but they really do seem to get into it the most when I use the lamb formula. I found my youngest chomping on a piece this morning! UGH!:banghead:

We keep the dry food in the kitchen all the time (free-feed) with a baby gate with a hole in it up to keep the kids...but not dogs...out.

Well for some reason Ginger (2 yr old mini) has "adopted" Matty (10 month old human-type) and will bring him mouthfuls of dry food and spit it out in front of him.

Well of course as soon as he sees it hit the floor he goes for it..."oh look its that yummy crunchy lamb flavored dog cereal I love so much, why thank you Ginger." She will eat a piece or two, then go back and leave him with about 2-3 pieces and get more.

Its cute and all, but I would prefer it if my son wasn't eating dog food.

Now when he is on the floor, dog food is not allowed to be...but sometimes we forget!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eagle Pack brand Holistic line in about any flavor is a good one, a bit pricey but a bit less expensive than many of the other by-product free kibbles. No corn or soy in it, and other good stuff instead.

My 2 yr old and 10 month old (my human kids) have been known to dine on it, but they really do seem to get into it the most when I use the lamb formula. I found my youngest chomping on a piece this morning! UGH!:banghead:

We keep the dry food in the kitchen all the time (free-feed) with a baby gate with a hole in it up to keep the kids...but not dogs...out.

Well for some reason Ginger (2 yr old mini) has "adopted" Matty (10 month old human-type) and will bring him mouthfuls of dry food and spit it out in front of him.

Well of course as soon as he sees it hit the floor he goes for it..."oh look its that yummy crunchy lamb flavored dog cereal I love so much, why thank you Ginger." She will eat a piece or two, then go back and leave him with about 2-3 pieces and get more.

Its cute and all, but I would prefer it if my son wasn't eating dog food.

Now when he is on the floor, dog food is not allowed to be...but sometimes we forget!
HAHAHHA!! too cute and funny!! My 11mo old is quite fond of the dog food as well!! :sick:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
HAHAHHA!! too cute and funny!! My 11mo old is quite fond of the dog food as well!! :sick:
Im glad Im not the only one with a baby that loves kibble. My son is 1 yr and eye balls the crate area for left over dog food. Then he checks the crate doors to see if they are open so can get those kibble left over's inside.

I try to remember to pick up Eli's bowl when I take the baby gate down but sometimes forget. A few times now I have found my son with two chubby cheeks full of dog food. He's just in heaven....then the fight to remove it is another story. lol

·
Registered
554 Posts
I figure if my very picky 2 yr old will try it then it must be pretty yummy stuff.

They have canned wet food that can be mixed into the dry...which we skip and use cooked chicken, greens and veggies to mix in 2 times a day instead.

The dogs all run to the kitchen when the oven timer goes off...they assume its for them no matter what I am cooking!:whoo:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts