Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know were in a bit of a grooming mess. My boys go every four weeks. One is in a German type clip and I feel ok with trying to clean him up and if I mess it up royally he’s already pretty short and it will grow. My big boy however is in a lot of coat and always has been for his five years and I’m just so upset at the idea of having to take his hair off. At this time I normally ask my groomer to take half the length off the long parts of his cut ( head, mane and legs but always leave long full ears) which works better for the heat of summer. Since I cannot do this i am going to try to do what I can but sure would appreciate any guidance in this endeavor such as tips or ideas as I’m not even sure how I would go about getting half his length off other than scissoring which I know my groomer does but is there a specific method to that? He has good lines to try and follow and I know his body should be a 7 and face a 10 but I’m not even sure how to clip properly (total newbie) I assume you go with the grain/ growth of the hair not against? He is very well maintained I brush and comb EVERY day so not matted at all. I purchased Andis AG2 clippers with detachable blades including a 5,7,10 and a 3 3/4 as well as large set of combs to go over blades. Also purchased a set of shears with straight, curved, thinning and small ones as well as a high velocity dryer. I did get the oil and cooling spray as well. And I do have a grooming table for our daily brush sessions. Here is a pic for good measure and any tips or advice greatly appreciated as I try to work up the nerve to do this. I’m just worried about him getting much too hot as were approaching 80 now and this order we are under could go on for weeks. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Before you start take lots of photos from different angles so you know what it looked like when you’re in the middle of trimming. It’s important to have a clear idea in your head before starting. You can even write your plan down. When you’re new to grooming you can sometimes feel overwhelmed or scared that you’re making a mistake. If you have pictures and a plan you won’t get lost.

I prefer to have two sets of blades to switch between. As you use the clipper the blades will get hot so keep touching them as you work so you can judge when they are heating up. You don’t want to burn your dog. I prefer to switch to a fresh blade rather than spray coolant to cool down a blade. The coolant is unpleasant to smell, messy and takes Time for the blade to cool.

There are excellent videos on you tube to show how to use the clippers on poodles.

Consider buying a bravura trimmer for face and feet. It’s cordless, lighter in weight with less vibration so it’s easier to use for feet and face.

It’s just hair, it will grow back. Don’t feel pressured to do the grooming all at one time. I often find after I groom I don’t like something. Maybe a pompom isn’t even or one ear is a little shorter so I go back after to even things up. Take your time, it will be fine.

They are beautifully groomed.

Reactions: Mvinotime

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Very handsome boys! Skylar gave very good suggestions and I'm sure a few more members with experience will drop by.

I'm here to offer novice grooming emotional support :). Fortunately, my boys were in a simple trim and I'd actually started doing their full clipping back in October. I am however still a novice and consider Less Fur Dang It a good grooming result. I intend to get better but for now, I'll forgive myself for my imperfect skills.

We care a whole lot more than they do :). And whatever happens, it will grow back.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Complete amateur here. I first shave face and paws and tail with a 10 blade, working down to the tip of the nose and the root of the tail. I leave topknot, tail and anything else that needs scissoring till last. I go over the rest of the body, legs, and everything but the back of the neck using the longest suitable comb over the 10 blade, then go down a comb size or two and go over the body again skimming to leave shoulders and hips blended into the legs, then use an even shorter comb on the neck and chest, again blending a bit. I scissor the topknot and tail, trim a bit off the ears, tidy up the sticky out bits from the clippers, and finish off Poppy's feet with ball ended scissors as she hates the feel of the clipper on them.

The advantage of using the long combs in sequence is that they prevent you taking off too much at a time! But it is hair - it will grow...

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Your poodles are so pretty! I also take mine every 4 weeks so he is looking rather messy as I've also had him outside a lot more and he has been running thru the dirt, which is currently my backyard. Its also hot here 80 degrees here and the heat really wears him out. Today will be in the 90's then we are suppose to get rain and a cool down. I am going to attempt to clip some on him today, just face then feet. My biggest challenge will be a bath, though I should do it first I won't. I really don't have an appropriate place to bathe so I have to think on it a bit longer.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
if you bathe and blow dry the hair first you can achieve a more professional groom. the hair is straight and clipping and scissor work can be more accurate

However you can still do a nice job without bathing if you are careful and have your dog brushed and combed out. During this pandemic the goal should be comfort, ease and not perfection.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for all your very helpful replies! I am very afraid of bathing my big guy just cause it’s SO much hair but I do have the high velocity dryer. My groomer has said that the drying sometimes blows out and little tangles from bathing? I will order more blades that does sound better than the spray and makes good sense. I’m going to start on the shorter guy and def do in stages so I don’t get overwhelmed. Now I have a really silly question....for the owners of boy dogs 😉 what do you do with the hair on their boy part? It seems my groomer might leave a tiny tip of hair to direct his pee? Appreciate any guidance on what to do there lol Thanks!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Not a silly question at all! This may not be possible for you but I had DH steady and contain my two minis while standing on their back feet. I oh so very carefully shaved from the back (tail end) to the front, one direction only, and they didn't fuss. Any hair left at the tip on mine was simply accidental. Some think it helps direct, some don't. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference. I also clipped the belly area up to the rib cage while I had them upright.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Not a silly question! I've always opted for a clean shave in the pee zone as well. Some boys do better with a "pee wick" because they will pee on themselves, but mine has never had an issue. I typically just have my boy stand and trim with a 30 blade. I always hold the floppy bits still while shaving to avoid any accidents.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a silly question at all! This may not be possible for you but I had DH steady and contain my two minis while standing on their back feet. I oh so very carefully shaved from the back (tail end) to the front, one direction only, and they didn't fuss. Any hair left at the tip on mine was simply accidental. Some think it helps direct, some don't. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference. I also clipped the belly area up to the rib cage while I had them upright.
Thank you that is super helpful and I will try that! 😊

1 - 11 of 11 Posts