Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post here about my experience even though it was my cat and not my minipoo.

i have an elderly cat who exhibited signs of a urinary tract infection last night and she had diarrhea. Clearly something that needed treatment.

The new procedure is I pulled into the parking lot with my cat in a crate and phoned them. when the vet was ready they came out and took her, leaving me in the car. The vet called and carefully explained everything. I requested Convenia so I wouldn’t have to give meds daily. We also discuss some other issues. Then they brought her out to the car along with antiseptic wipes so I could wipe everything down. I called to pay with a credit card.

I appreciated that they were there to treat my cat and the careful plan they had to both protect me and the vet staff from contact. It felt very weird not to go in with my pet. They are not doing routine care such as vaccinations other than rabies.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet this is a standard that many vets are following.

Hope Normie is doing well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It seems to be the norm around here also. Most of the vets are doing this, and when I bring Evie for her appointment to get spayed on the first I will just bring her to the curb than they take her from me without any touching or talking.

I hope Normie is doing well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Our vet is doing a one patient at a time policy. So wait outside and when one comes out the next goes in. It’s not as safe as no one going in but you can go in with your pet. Diva is due booster injections in a few weeks I think I’ll ask them come outside and do it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I have to make an appointment tomorrow as Renn is due for his annuals. I will see what the vet has to say. I may just postpone them for a few weeks.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vee I would call ahead and ask. My vet is not doing boosters at this time but if they were I too would ask if they can do it outside with me nearby.

Mufar my vet isn’t doing annuals at this time. Only emergency needs.

Reactions: Eclipse

·
Registered
97 Posts
wow that is nerve-wracking. We aren't there yet :( That makes me sad that you waited outside.
Obviously, it makes sense but it must have been difficult.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Townferret, it was. What helped was the vet was extremely careful to fully explain everything and she listened to me and my concerns so I felt I had a complete understanding. Plus my cat is docile so easy for the vet and vet technician to handle. Whether I was in the room or not she would be equally scared. If this was Babykins it would have been more traumatic as she would be more fearful without me.

Reactions: townferret

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Normie is at the itchy stage. Any suggestions?
Well the good news is he’s healing and it won’t be long before he’s over this which is good. This is when you need to be diligent that he doesn’t lick or chew at the area. Are you using a collar of shame or something else to block access?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well the good news is he’s healing and it won’t be long before he’s over this which is good. This is when you need to be diligent that he doesn’t lick or chew at the area. Are you using a collar of shame or something else to block access?
He has an e-collar for 2 weeks.

I even tried TV for dogs today. He wandered off and I found myself alone watching it. That can't be good.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My favorite it The Secret Life of Pets. It’s one movie Babykins and I can watch together.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Our vet is only doing emergencies, no exams, etc. Procedure is to call from the parking lot, take dog to door, they put on a new leash, and you take yours off so they don't even touch your leash. Then they call you to let you know you can pick up your dog at the door.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
My vet, here in the UK, is focussing on emergencies and ongoing treatment, which they are interpreting fairly widely, I think. As I have been seeing the same vet for 16 years there is a good level of mutual trust, and Poppy was seen within a couple of hours when I was worried about her the other day - she is being treated for liver failure, so definitely comes into the ongoing category. I called from the carpark, the vet came out, discussed the problem from a safe distance, and took Poppy's lead at arm's length, took her in for examination and bloods, brought her back out and handed her back in the same way, then gave me his advice. He put the recommended medication on the boot of the car while I stood back, and I phoned to pay with my credit card when I got home. An even more careful owner waiting in the carpark at the same time asked to have her dog taken directly from the car, to save even arm's length approaching.

They are spending a huge amount of time on the phone, though, advising and reassuring and not getting paid for it. I think they are too well established to buckle under the financial strain, but I suspect some may.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like my vet experience is becoming the norm in this time of coronavirus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My family had a slightly different experience but for a very different circumstance, happened around when this was posted. The family's beloved toy poodle was in an advanced point with her CCD and her body was faltering. She became very ill and they brought her to a fantastic emergency hospital, ultimately for euthanasia (her body really just stopped working -- suspected blockage in the very end). The staff all had gloves and masks and lysol / other approved wipes. They cleaned the screen for signatures every time it was touched, had distance suggestions around the area (it was completely empty, so easy to do), and were as careful as could be at the time. My folks were able to be with Jazzy in the end, it was a kindness the vets gave them. Had it been anything but the bitter end, I'm not sure it would have happened, and even a week or two later things may have still been different for all safety (this was March 16). My parents still both immediately put their clothes in the wash and showered when they got home to be cautious. It was also a level one veterinary ER so if anyone was still up and running it would have been them.

I will say that we would have understood if they had not been able to be with Jazzy, but they got lucky. For non emergency care, they've done sidewalk handoffs when the remaining poodle needed some tests.

More recently, I've known everything is postponed in non-emergency, but I'm hoping to have a phone appointment with my vet to talk about some behavioral meds my dog is on at her direction (as a pandemic got in the way of a planned appointment to check in).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts