Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 mo old mini that we saved from going into the pound, and I a just wondering if there are an specifics I should ask the groomer for when we take him in? We do not plan to show or anything, just wondering if there are things to watch for. Also, what kind of daily grooming should be done with him?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ask for a tour of the facility. If they won't give you one I consider it a red flag. I have been a groomer for nearly 20 years. I expect to catch flack from some of the other groomers on this board for this statement, I don't care. If its dirty, and I don't mean hairy and the regular stuff from todays work, I wouldn't leave a dog. Dogs running loose in a shop are another red flag to me, its near impossible to break up a fight with a dog and clippers in your hand. Do they cage dry? If so, be cautious, too many dryers can overheat and cause serious damage to a dog. Do they use chemical products or natural ones? The industry has evolved so much that there is no reason for anything but the most harmless shampoos, conditioners and even herbal dips. Does it smell good or bad in the shop? Do the other dogs seem stressed out? Is water made available for the animals? How long does a dog have to be there to get on the walk schedule if there even is one? How does the staff treat the animals? How long do they expect you to leave your pet? Some breads do take longer than others, but here are some basic times a groom should actually take. Since this is a poodle forum I'll start there. Toy poo in a pet trim-out the door in 2 1/2 hrs, mini approx 3hrs, standard up to 4 hours. Show or fancy cuts do take longer and ill manered or matted dogs also take longer. I think this is probably enough to get you going but feel free to ask additional questions if you have them.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup I agree with GG, and I don't know why you'd get any flack from us on here for saying that!!! About the only reason I could think of to not want to let someone come in and look is cos of the disruption it causes, but if someone was actually asking to come in then I still would (though for me you can see the *entire* shop from the front anyway! lol) If a groomer isn't willing to let someone come have a look, then I'd be wondering WHY...!

As for what to ask the groomer for, ask them for what you are wanting!!! Do you want a 'poodle' trim, with the shaved face feet & tail? Ask for it. Do you want it just a short tidy groom all over? Ask for it! Ask for the length you're hoping to have, ask for a scissored topknot and pom pom on the tail, or ask for a beard to be left or a miami trim with the poms on the legs. Whatever! Ask for what you're wanting done! Now, if the dog is very knotty you may have little choice, as few groomers will be willing to de-mat a dog at all, let alone a new puppy and it may just have to be shaved down short. Also be aware that at 10 months old the puppy is very likely to be doing the dreaded coat change soon, if it's not already, and you may be best to go short this time around, and worry about having a fluffy look at a later stage in life when you've mastered keeping it brushed and groomed at home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yup I agree with GG, and I don't know why you'd get any flack from us on here for saying that!!! About the only reason I could think of to not want to let someone come in and look is cos of the disruption it causes, but if someone was actually asking to come in then I still would (though for me you can see the *entire* shop from the front anyway! lol) If a groomer isn't willing to let someone come have a look, then I'd be wondering WHY...!

I have visited grooming shops all over the US and I was shocked at how few would let me see the infamous "back room", even if they knew I was a groomer! I have heard all sorts of lame reasons why from insurance reasons (a boldfaced lie, liability insurance covers even the back room) to thats where their children are napping (yeah, with all those dryers and yapping dogs). Some people in the industry are downright frightening!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
We're not allowed to let people in the back room at our grooming salon :x the only exceptions we've made is when a dog is EXTREMELY kennel shy and we have to have the owner get the dog out of the kennel, or if the dog is so aggressive around strangers that we actually need the owner back there while we bathe. We've only done this a couple times, and I don't even know if we were allowed to, lol. This is at Petco.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
All that crap about insurance is a lie at the big box stores. I understand you have to follow the rules or be fired but speaking as a human to another human, wouldn't YOU want to just SEE the back room where you pet is being groomed? I bring every new client back, show them the labels on the shampoo bottles, let them feel the water temperature and listen to the sounds of the dryers....if they say their dog will be scared, I ask them to just wait a few minutes then tell me if its still scary. Usually they all say, go ahead, I'll be back in a few hours....end of scariness.

I do whatever people want on a 10 week old poodle. Lots of people do not want the face and feet trimmed....I give it a wash, fluff out, bottom of paws, corners of eyes and thinning shear the anal area. $20 for babies 1st. If they want the more adult look, its still $20....I just BEG people to be specific in what you want it to really look like when you come back....I don't want to surprise you and then you be mad at me. I am not a mind-reader.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree with the others. Everyone can see my shop from the front door. I groom around a corner, but anyone can see me if they walk around the room. I do let some dogs play in the front room. I can still supervise them while I work, and their owners like it. However, I'm very careful about who does it. Only dogs I know well, and have been grooming for a while.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
other questions-

-cage dried or not (you want not)
- hand scissored
-what do they do if the dog is afraid of dryer, clippers etc
-what sort of clip will they be putting him in (bring pictures of what you'd LIKE to have him look like- knowing that he might not come out this time looking like that but so your groomer can work towards it)
-have they worked on poodles before. Do they have pictures of grooms they have done?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts