Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to look at a standard poodle tomorrow,
I made a active decision that I would like another poodle,especially after what has happpened.

So im going on a 2 hour journey tomorrow to look at a litter of black standards,they are 6 weeks old so i can put a deposit down on one if i like them.
If i choose one the breeder is a qualified microchipper too so she will chip my pup right away.
They come with or with out papers,i would opt for no papers as i dont want to breed or show :)
Im quite excited,not had a standard before how easy are they to train??

·
Registered
912 Posts
Congratulations, your gunna love them. You'll probably get MSPS (Multiple Standard Poodle Syndrome) it seems highly contagious.

T has been quite good to train so far, probably too smart for his owner :eek:, very intuitive. The one thing I will say is they pick up the bad habits as easily as the good.

He hasn't had any formal obedience training (we don't have a club) and he hasn't had as much early intensive training as we did with the GSD and he is obedient but not reliable - not his fault, I just need to find some more hours in the day for his training.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy trained so easy for potty and stuff but really gotta work on obedience work with her rather then free play all the time.
Casey was a pain to house train yet his obedience is much better.
He is in class right now next month is Mandy's turn

OH and happy to hear you will get another poodle after all. I want one more to but have resigned myself to train these guys this summer then get another

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You know what, I might go ahead and get the paper if I were in that position. Aside from the mircochip, the papers are your proof of ownership. There are times when it becomes important to be able to prove that a dog is really yours. Thats why I send Jazz's paperwork in even though she is CKC reg. and I didn't care to have them either. It It is just an added protection for me that we own her on paper, just in case. You never know about people sometimes, what if her previous owner showed up on my doorstep and demanded her dog back? Not that the breeder you're going to visit would do such a thing.... but it's happened before. The papers don't have as much to do with breeding/showing as you may think. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The best decision you could make is adding a Standard Poodle to your life! Im glad to hear you are going to look. Your going to fall in love.

If its possible to get the paper's, I would too. However, Im sure price is a factor in taking the pup with out the paper's. Why not ask the breeder if you can send payments or pay her the remander when your ready for the paper's? I think you'll be happy you did later on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Easy to train...

The thing about Std Poodles is that they are very human. People say they're smart. Well, so are Australian shepherds. But, it's a different kind of intelligence.
Poodles learn your language, and fast. So you need to be very conscious of how you communicate with the new dog, or it leads to confusions and misunderstandings.
My friend's new Std Poodle pup is a tiny sponge. She soaks up games, she soaks up rules, she understands the pack hierarchy so fast, it's startling.
Poodles are very 'game' oriented. They like to play games and make up games to play with you and each other. They are smart, and they don't have much in the way of a job, or a mortgage to pay, or art, so their imagination is usually turned toward making up new games.
It's usually better for YOU to be the one making up the games, and teaching it to the dog, rather than the other way around. You might not like the game the dog comes up with.
So, my suggestion is to know how you want the relationship to be before you get the dog. Have the rules laid out in your mind, or even on paper, or she'll make up her own! If you think it through, training them is a snap.
Then, as you get to know each other, you can modify things to suit each other's likes and dislikes. At this point, I don't give a lot of commands to my vintage dogs. I tend to speak to them as I would a human. They speak English pretty fluently.

·
Registered
207 Posts
about the papers

I would register just in case. I also didn't register at first. I thought "Oh, he's just a pet, I'm not going to show or anything." Now I am thinking of doing Agility or Rally-o and it is my understanding that if it is an AKC event then your dog needs to be registered.

You never know what you might decide to do later.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My experience is Standards and miniatures are very much alike.

They are sporty, intelligent, rascally dogs and can get into devilment if not supervised like a hawk.

Both are equally difficult/easy in housetraining and obedience.

I never had a toy poodle so I don't know how they compare. Some day I might try one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,thing is now im worried as iv spoken to the breeder yesterday and today and asked for her address,she told me on both occasions she will email me the details how to get there,i rang earlier and she said shed been a bit busy i could hear puppys in the background so iv no doubt she has been busy thing is still no email with address???

I have to leave at 10am to get there for 12 she asked me to come at 12,but with no address what do i do?i dont want to keep ringing her about this,i know the area but not the actual street or house advice please??

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have to leave at 10am to get there for 12 she asked me to come at 12,but with no address what do i do?i dont want to keep ringing her about this,i know the area but not the actual street or house advice please??
Best thing to do is wait for her to email I would keep calling also because, if you guys have a set appointment I am sure she wont be mad that you are trying to get her addy

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Standards are amazing and once you are owned by one, they ruin you for other breeds. They are smart, athletic, really intelligent, easily trainable and did I mention gorgeous!!!! I am so excited for you, make sure to take lots of pictures. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The thing about Std Poodles is that they are very human. People say they're smart. Well, so are Australian shepherds. But, it's a different kind of intelligence.
Poodles learn your language, and fast. So you need to be very conscious of how you communicate with the new dog, or it leads to confusions and misunderstandings.
My friend's new Std Poodle pup is a tiny sponge. She soaks up games, she soaks up rules, she understands the pack hierarchy so fast, it's startling.
Poodles are very 'game' oriented. They like to play games and make up games to play with you and each other. They are smart, and they don't have much in the way of a job, or a mortgage to pay, or art, so their imagination is usually turned toward making up new games.
It's usually better for YOU to be the one making up the games, and teaching it to the dog, rather than the other way around. You might not like the game the dog comes up with.
So, my suggestion is to know how you want the relationship to be before you get the dog. Have the rules laid out in your mind, or even on paper, or she'll make up her own! If you think it through, training them is a snap.
Then, as you get to know each other, you can modify things to suit each other's likes and dislikes. At this point, I don't give a lot of commands to my vintage dogs. I tend to speak to them as I would a human. They speak English pretty fluently.
Excellent post.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i went to see the puppys,never seen such beautys It took my breath away.
The mum was a import from russia :D she is all black.
her babies are white they have green eyes and liver coloured noses they are very unusual,dad is white hes massive.
I am going to call him bobby,he is 8 weeks next week,when i go to collect him.
She microchipped him there and then,and i have decided on papers its a extra £100 but its worth it he has unusal lines so it will be interesting.
I cant wait hes gorgeous he was the biggest and came over to me,i held him and he kept looking at me,next week is going to drag lol

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Congratulations on finding your perfect little (or not so little) boy. :biggrin1: I love, love, love male dogs cause they are such momma's boys. ;) Now where are the pictures??????

·
Registered
912 Posts
Congratulations, yep the waiting is the hardest part, but buying all the leashes, collars, toys, shampoos, grooming gear, beds (the list goes on ...) is so much fun :rofl:

We had a lady in our obedience class at Pt Macquarie who learnt German commands for her shepherd - it was amazing to watch as she could command him in English, German and just by signals.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am so excited for you.
Glad you found something suitable for you to start your mps illness.

I got it so bad but have decided I am training these 2 1 yo mosters first then a puppy again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds like Bobby is your guy. You just know it when you find the right one - it all feels just right. This will be a long week for you, but before you know it, he'll be coming home. Can't wait to see pictures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts