Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As I'm still dog-free but wanting to learn more about the breed and meet more poodles "in real life," I'm considering going to the Detroit Dog Show this year to talk to Standard Poodle people. I've never been to a dog show other than an agility trial earlier this year.

Since it's a benched show, it seems I am able to talk to handlers and owners throughout the day (as long as I'm not accosting people when they seem super-busy). I'm also assuming it is worth watching conformation, right?

Any specific tips or suggestions besides attending offered seminars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You'll learn so much going to shows. You're able to talk to breeders, owners and handlers about their dogs when they are not showing or getting their poodles ready to show. Get a catalog when you get there to see when standards are being shown and in what ring. It will also tell you the specific dogs entered, their breeder and owner. Sometimes you have to bring a chair. Sit at ringside while the classes are being judged and just soak up as much as you can. It's also fun to see the minis and toys. If the show has obedience and rally, it's great to see what else people do with their poodles. It's even better if you can plan to go 2 or more days to the shows--you'll be overwhelmed with what goes on and it's impossible to see everything. The more you go to shows, the more you'll learn about poodles and make contacts to help guide you when it comes time to get your special one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts