Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the experience I can take away many things. One is a new found affection for grooming poodles. Since I was forced to groom my own dog, I realized that I really like it. So I want to explore this and see if I can get better and learn new techniques. I'd love advice on videos, books (I have Kalstone) and websites for pictures.

I don't want to sound rude but there aren't a lot of really good groomers to seek out here to mentor me. I've gotten one recommendation to a lady that lives about a 45 min drive from me and if I can get a hold of her to see her work, I'd be willing to drive there if she'd have me.

Wish me luck and look forward to Harry being in a load of different poodle clips.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I DO wish you the best of luck. I can relate to the difficulty finding mentors. I got extremely lucky for a short time and had three really awsome people watch over me while I was just learning to fly so to speak.

I haven't watched any of the grooming vidoes and the only poodle book I have is Kalstones, and one from the1950's thats basicly just drawings of clips that don't really even exist anymore and looking at them it's easy to see why lol.

A good place online to see photos and talk to other groomers at all levels about various topics is www.groomers.net It's a really large community, one can get lost looking through all the sub forums and reading threads. They pretty much have everything though and helpful advice is NEVER in short supply. I've been on there a ton lately on the homebased part of the forums getting helpful hints for setting up shop:)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Out of the experience I can take away many things. One is a new found affection for grooming poodles. Since I was forced to groom my own dog, I realized that I really like it. So I want to explore this and see if I can get better and learn new techniques. I'd love advice on videos, books (I have Kalstone) and websites for pictures.

I don't want to sound rude but there aren't a lot of really good groomers to seek out here to mentor me. I've gotten one recommendation to a lady that lives about a 45 min drive from me and if I can get a hold of her to see her work, I'd be willing to drive there if she'd have me.

Wish me luck and look forward to Harry being in a load of different poodle clips.
I too love to groom the poos.. The scissoring is the best part ! Never had a mentor. Have had one pro show me the puppy cut and my head was spinning on all the angles !

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've never had a mentor for my poodle grooming, I basically learned to start perfecting them by posting photos of Paris online and getting them critiqued through the grooming forums!! Gotta love the internet...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need Harry to grow out faster.LOL I am going to start giving him a hair and nails supplement but I'll probably be sorry because of the nails.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought the dremel from WalMart. It does the job and quick. I hate using the thing but it's better than cutting them especially those black nails where you can't see the quick. With the dremel you see a drop of blood and you stop.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Dremels are about the standard I think.. I don't own one lol. I have a peticure that I adore because of the little cap on top with the holes. I need to get the upgraded version though because for a groomer the basic one isn't cutting it power wise. I don't care for the other version of the tool myself I think that one is the petipaws, but it's a personal thing.
A long time ago I ordered a pet edge brand grinder and it was ok, I can't seem to locate it though and so haven't used it in years. Dunno what might have happened to it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I use a mini mite dremel. It works great. It's not as expensive as a full dremel and has two speeds. Plenty of power. I have a small dog. I use the low setting and feel that the high setting would be plenty powerful. Got it on a recommendation on this site. The author of the article that was posted used it on his dobermans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts