Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a wedding in mid October. It's the first time I'll leave Beau back. I need to figure out what to do with him. I don't think he'd be safe at our home. He is protective of our home and I don't really trust a sitter to be with him while we are away. It will be Friday thru Sunday or Monday.

I want to board him, but there aren't many good kennels around here. I feel like the good kennels are where my husband's father is - who we are going to visit before we head out to the wedding. Beau has been to my father-in-laws area which is a 1 and a half hour trip. I feel like I should board him out there.

I know there are options of crating or doggy daycare. He likes other dogs, but can be very anxious when I'm not around. I worry that he will flip out. He's a senior so he could do doggy daycare or sleep all day. Usually he just sleeps all day with two or three walks (equaling up to an hour of exercise).

Thing I worry about most is his anxiety. He was rehomed so he gets anxious easily. I don't want him to hurt himself so maybe I'll ask the vet for some anxiety relief? I'm thinking about doing a trial run to see how he does when we're away.

What would you do for an anxious dog? Doggy daycare kennel or just crating with attention?

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
What about boarding him at your vet? I understand that this is hard to plan for! Vet boarding is not luxurious, but it is sound and if he has worries or some other problem they can do what is needed to make sure Beau is safe and sound.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know there have been several bad Rover experiences but I found a girl who owns her own dog and she is 5 minutes from me. Hunter and I met her and her dog Cooper before the stay and they got along great.

This past weekend was the first time Hunter has been away from me but he really seemed like he had a great time. I was all worried about him being too anxious too.

As you can see here, he doesn't seem to upset as he is cuddling the other dog.
LOL 5929.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know there have been several bad Rover experiences but I found a girl who owns her own dog and she is 5 minutes from me. Hunter and I met her and her dog Cooper before the stay and they got along great.

This past weekend was the first time Hunter has been away from me but he really seemed like he had a great time. I was all worried about him being too anxious too.

As you can see here, he doesn't seem to upset as he is cuddling the other dog.
LOL View attachment 442307
I'm too scared of Rover. We live in a bad area of town so I don't trust people in my area. If I were in a safer area, I'd give it a go but not here. My town is literally the worst crime in the country. I live in Baltimore Maryland and ever since the riots of 2015 I've been too scared to trust people other than my friends and family. I'm slightly far from where the true riots happened but they did have a few near my courthouse. People are nuts here.

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
Do you have a trustworthy friend who he could stay with or who could stay at your home? I am sorry for your city's problems. It is very sad to see. We have a friend who lives near Baltimore, but I don't think he is near city center, more in the adjacent burbs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I border the city. I think I want him boarded instead of watched in a home. He’s friendly with dogs although I do worry about intact males because he was a successful foundation breeding dog so I think he can get territorial around males. He fully trusts me though so he lets me do anything to him. I just worry what will happen when I leave him due to separation anxiety so maybe a crate would be best?

ps there are some good kennels in the city, but I REFUSE to enter the city. I will only stay in the suburbs or rural area. Its very crowded here.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hi

Back in April when you were first having to consider boarding Beau, you'd mentioned a pet resort that your family had used, and possibly a couple of doggy day care dates to help him get used to being away from you. Is that no longer an option?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Back in April when you were first having to consider boarding Beau, you'd mentioned a pet resort that your family had used, and possibly a couple of doggy day care dates to help him get used to being away from you. Is that no longer an option?
We didn’t end up going on that trip. But yes it’s still an option. Only reason I’m iffy is because they changed ownership in 2015 and now have mixed reviews. Maybe I’ll do a trial run there and see how he does?

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
BTW I don’t see any problem driving him to your in-laws area for boarding. I drive almost that far at least once a week, sometimes more to one of my dog training clubs.

Wherever you decide you should do some trial runs first to get him used to the place he will be boarded.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Maybe your vet can give you some ideas even if they can't help. I'd probably go with a vet boarding just so he has care if he needs it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts