Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your goals for you and your dog in the next year? You can get as fancy or simple as you like. Doesn't have to be titles, of course.

I am pleased to say both of my dogs met my goals for them this year, so now I have new goals for 2018-2019, which are:

Maizie - RATNX title and THD title

Frosty - RA title

·
Registered
182 Posts
Besides love and spoil Roland, I think I would like to take him through obedience classes.

I know I can do this at home and have started, but he was a introverted puppy, months of puppy socialization classes and still never played. At 10 months of age he is just starting to actually interact with other dogs at the dog park although Mama is never out of sight and only with dogs big brother Eustace is playing with. I think being in classes with other dogs will further his learning to interact with the outside world.

Maybe I can even get him to let another person other than Mama and Daddy touch him. He'll stand by another person, even take a treat, but don't touch him. He steps just out of reach and gives a "I don't think so" look. I can do anything to him, he's my velcro dog, but he will not allow another person to actually touch him. No fear or hostility, he just doesn't want anyone else touching him.

Now with Eustace, my airedale/hellhound cross, my goal is the same goal I've had and worked on daily the past year and a half I've had him. To stop binging off the walls, ripping my arms out at the shoulder on leash, stop barking and yowling (I swear he has coyote in him the way he yowls) at the sight of another person, dog or in the car, and listen when I call him, I so want to be able to take him out with Roland in the 3 acre unfenced area of my yard, but I live on a busy road and I know I won't be able to call him off it. Sigh, good thing I actually dearly love his scruffy, ugly, but good natured, ass, something about the trouble child I quess, lol.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
barbiespoodle, you made me laugh :lol: And, you reminded me that I have another goal for Maizie this year: ROCK SOLID recall!!! She has gotten so much better, but there are still times when she's in the yard and doesn't feel like coming immediately when I call her.

I like your goals for your dogs--very nice.

Do you have a picture of Roland and Eustace? I want to put names to faces.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Groan - this is like a school assignment - haha.

I'm not particularly organized so my goals are vague. We've added nosework this summer and I've been told we're ready to compete in novice - so we'll be doing that this fall in addition to rally, obedience and agility.

But a more serious goal is mobility service dog (SD) training. I just got a prescription/letter from my PCP to carry in my wallet. Now that I have that we'll be heading to the mall to start training. It's going to be hard to training Babykins NOT to be petted and to IGNORE her. No flirting when wearing her SD vest. I also have to get her trained to pick up items off the floor such as a credit card or my cell phone.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This year I focused a lot on recall amongst other things. His breeder feel he would excel in performance. We did a few basics on our last visit and he picks it up pretty fast. But I don’t have any dog sports anywhere near me, so oh well. We are also focusing on reactivity to other dogs since he gets too excited. We also been not crating him when we go to work, he does so well with the 4 hours block that he is left home. It’s only been a few weeks, but he is doing great.

Next year, I think more service dog related training and reinforcing what he has already known. I feel that he is slowly leaving the teen phase, he is such a joy now. Not that he wasnt before but now it’s just another level of awesome.

Just for fun, this was today, we have carefully begun to walk him off leash and my hubby took this pic of milo booking it when I called him, I was so proud of him. He was really listening to all commands.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
First goal is to get that Ch title so I can put Zoe in a pet trim! Then we will attend a basic obedience class and the 2nd agility class. If things go well, Zoe might be ready for an agility trial late next year. I do need to work on her recall - it's been pretty good away from home but at home she loves to play keep-away. Grrrrrrr.

We should be able to get her RATN this coming year, too. Now that I am a member of the barn hunt group, we can train regularly there.

The barn hunt training site is fabulous. It is actually a barn on a large farm where there is every domestic animal you have ever heard of! They have geese, chickens, donkeys, horses, goats, sheep, and cows - and maybe more.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
My goal with Beckie is for her to jump on the couch again and be cuddly. She stopped after being spayed because I forbid her for 10 days but now she has lot her mojo and won’t do it anymore.

As for Merlin, if he could just allow me to walk in my house while he eats, that would be great.

My life is very simple isn’t it, lol !

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
What a clever idea for a thread. And the goals can be simple or complex, but there should always be goals to do things that grow your relationships with your dogs.

After getting two days of up-stress going into the beginner novice ring with Javelin this weekend and asking to be excused since he was bouncing all over me and grabbing my hand I do have to add a new goal for him related to relaxed ring entries.

For Lily I want to finish rally masters. She spins now so we need to get a good twist.

For Javelin I want to finish beginner novice, work on his demeanor for trials, continue with his SD training and get him ready for all of the other levels of obedience. He knows all novice exercises, all open exercises other than retrieve over the high jump, drop on recall and command discrimination and all utility exercises other than gloves and scent articles. We are doing a great workshop on the open and utility exercises in September and also a mental skills seminar (also in September which will focus on ring nerves and psychological skills, stress reduction and such).

I also will do some more tricks work with both Lily and Javelin.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Well I guess my goal is to make Renn a more well rounded pup. As he approaches 9 months he is pretty good for me. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a well balanced and good behavior. He has always been a bit shy of outside people. He either wants to jump on them or will bark at them and then wants to hug me, like I am going to see him from some scary monster. I have been working on it and once I calm him by having him sit and reassuring he is ok. Today I have sent him to day training...without me...:( He has to learn to separate, he is glued to me and me only and will do mostly what I say. I have heard good things about this trainer so I am trying. Renn will go each day for 5 days. Of course thats not a "cue all" but I think it will help. Its pretty pricey for me so thats all I can do this month. If I see major improvement, I will repeat next month and maybe even a few more steps. He just does not have enough exposure at home and I am hoping this will help. I've been having a lot of trouble with my knees and feet making it difficult to go places with him. I figure this next year we will do a lot more serious outside training, different venues . The puppy class I took him too, was just that "family dog" he knew everything they were teaching, I may if all goes well put him into her more advanced class later on. Boy he is gone only 30 minutes and I'm missing him .

·
Registered
732 Posts
For training goals hopefully we will be able to get the Intermediate Trick Dog title. We still need to polish a few things but it seems doable.

Also hoping to start a new class - actually found one - Urban CGC. The class is held out in the country so not sure how that's going to work except that it states there will be field trips to town. :) Really the main goal here is to continue to work on focus around other dogs. We've gotten to about a 90% non reactivity rate and hope to do better.

The third goal is the toughest and I'm hoping to accomplish by sometime next summer (?). It is to get Dewey comfortable swimming in the pool. I rushed him too quickly when he was young to make sure he knew how to get out of the pool if he ever fell in. Now I have a vest for him and am slowly working. I don't think he will ever love it but hopefully will be comfortable and not afraid.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've joined Recallers when Susan Garrett had a special. Thought it wise since winter is coming and I want to minimize travel and still be moving forward with shaping my little guy. We've mastered collar grab and It's Your Choice, started on Hot Zone and am moving to restrained recalls this week.
Besides that, I plan on also enrolling him in the local/close by beginning obedience classes for the socialization.
So far, the It's Your Choice has really improved his impulse control.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Over the next year, I want to continue working on rally training and maybe start a beginner agility class. Continue working on retrieving items by name at home and expose Shae to swimming. It would also be great to work on getting Shae conditioned to being in the barn without getting spooked or wanting to chase the cows.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Luna’s goals

#1 get her AKC Ch!
#2 cut off all that hair
#3 start some fun trims and maybe dye
#4 continue service work training
#5 get her CGC and TKN
#6 dabble in rally, obedience, agility and maybe some other sports to see what is fun for both of us to do
#7 have a fun year!!!

This is perfect timing to evaluate her goals because her gotcha day is this week.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is fun! I love goals! Otis and I's goals this year are 1) to get our ORT and 2) to walk in the Poodle Days Parade in Carmel (we always miss the event by a week when we go each year) so we are scheduled to walk YAY as I will be taking my annual birthday trip a week late to make this happen and we are also scheduled to at least attempt our ORT (but we are thinking positive! ) on 9/15/2018. Then we have a tentative goal of a NW1 Title next year if all goes well ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This is fun! I love goals! Otis and I's goals this year are 1) to get our ORT and 2) to walk in the Poodle Days Parade in Carmel (we always miss the event by a week when we go each year) so we are scheduled to walk YAY as I will be taking my annual birthday trip a week late to make this happen and we are also scheduled to at least attempt our ORT (but we are thinking positive! ) on 9/15/2018. Then we have a tentative goal of a NW1 Title next year if all goes well
We *might* be going to poodle days as well! I forgot to include that - but since it is still a maybe, I probably shouldn’t make it a goal haha.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope to meet both of you and your poodles at Poodle Day! I'm not doing the parade due to the exorbitant fees (plus, my dogs get stressed by so many dogs jam packed in a small space). I will be taking them to the beach and hopefully having lunch with some of the Rock'nRolla family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m planning to progress Clare in obedience training over the next year, and see what Rally is all about. She loves to learn, but still gets very excited in group training settings sometimes.

With Monique, I’m learning more about grooming- banding, bracelets, etc. she seems to enjoy the attention of being brushed out and I’m enjoying fixing her ‘do.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts