Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I had no idea that dogs could have celiac. I have a few friends that have it, so I know how difficult it is for them to find affordable alternatives for certain foods. Doesn't surprise me, though, especially with the terrible allergies my sweet TQ has.

How do you find out if your dog has Celiac?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am gluten free (over a year now) but haven't thought to feed Holly gluten free dog food. Though I do feed her grain free Taste of the Wild so perhaps that can be considered gluten free? I'll have to look at the ingredients.

I'm amazed at how good I feel off of gluten. I've attempted to put some gluten back in my diet recently and nope--my body is not a fan!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Kona had not had very firm stool for a long time, and immediatly after switching to a gluetan free food (I had tried no corn first) his stool was firm!
I think that this has been the issue all along.

I am thinking that the reason besides the way dog food is manafactured, that dogs have this disease, is because of over breeding, and puppy mills. ANy one have any scientific research on this idea?
Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, dogs can have an Gluten Intolerance. And my personal feeling is many do. Just like mainstream health care for people doctors don't 'get it' Celiac although has been around for many years has only come to light in the last few years with the introduction of Gluten Free food/labels. People and animals die from colon cancer and many other illnesses and Celiac left untreated is the main reason why. I'm not a doctor, but I am someone who has the disease and had a life altering experience as a result.

The symptoms in dogs are very much like people. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, skin lesions, weakness and fatigue and a bloated stomach. Watch how a dog behaves after it eats. Is it sluggish? Bloated? Sometime constipation like IBS... It may have a gluten intolerance. The diarrhea is foul smelling, and/or the stool can be pale in color.

It is essentially an intolerance to gluten (found in wheat, rye, barley and oats, (and sometimes corn) which are found in most pet foods but are not natural to canine diets) that can lead to malnourishment, autoimmune disorders and other ailments in your pet. It is not contagious.

I don't know if there is a test for dogs. I know a simple way of detecting it is to remove Gluten from the diet and it the symptoms go away you know the source. If you re-introduce it into the diet and the symptoms return you'll know for sure.

There is NO CURE, NO MAGIC PILL. The only treatment is to remove Gluten from your dogs diet permanently. It's not hard to do.

I have my dogs on a gluten free diet because my reaction to gluten is severe even through cross-contamination. There are many brands (what my dogs eat by Nutro Natural) read the labels which ones are gluten free. And another gluten free is the raw diet (by Natures Variety) is also a great alternative. You just need to read the labels. The same goes with the doggie treats in my house they must be gluten free.

The link I added in my first posting is a Vet that deals with Gluten Intolerance in dogs and cats and also himself. The info on his site was very very very good. I just happened to stumble upon it last night.

RebeccaandHolly -- Good for you going Gluten Free. You are healthier for it and will live a longer life. By putting the dog on a gluten free diet will not only be healthier for them but you. If you stick your hand in the bag of dog food (that is gluten based) and you don't wash your hands immediately you are cross contaminating yourself. Also if your dog kisses you, licks your face you are again coming in contact with gluten.

·
Registered
562 Posts
What food do you guys feed that is gluten free? I go with totally grain free for all of my dogs and they all seem very healthy with little poops :) Mister gets Orijen 6 fish and solid gold barkinga t the moon which is beef and fish. The two older gals get the Natural balance duck and potato grain free because the fat and protein are alot lower because the potato is the first ingredient but im happy with it and they love it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, Natures Variety is the one. I have been feeding it for 8 years. I love that they have the freeze dried, it makes traveling so easy! I rotate proteins...chicken and rabbit during the warmer months, lamb and venision (both thermogenics) in the cold weather. I personally don't feed beef just because my dog doesn't like it. This line has a great blend of human grade meats and organs, fruits and veggies, bone and probiotics. I also like how this company stands by their product. I have recently added in an occasional bag of Stella and Cheweys raw. It seems to be of equal quality and they make a duck variety that my dog just loves.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eukanuba Naturally Wild IS NOT Gluten Free

I'm reading dog food labels of companies that claim to be gluten free. But really aren't like Eukanuba Naturally Wild Salmon... It contains Ground Whole Grain Barley. Its a no no. As I read the Turkey it also has Barley.

The Naturally Wild Salmon ingredients are:

Ingredients
Salmon, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hisociety- Eukanuba has other problems way worse than gluten. Their meat sources are not human grade and do contain BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin. They are not required to disclose this information because they themselves did not add it, the meat came already contaminated with it. It has also been known to have traces of sodium pentethol (sp?), commonly used in the euthanasia of domestic pets. What that means is that they may be including our dearly departed pets remains as meat sources.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
eukanuba sucks the big one- let alone gluten

I"m a raw feeder so all my dogs are gluten free. T his has been a HUGE help with my dogs IBS>

·
Registered
178 Posts
I started feeding raw for the morning meal about 8 weeks ago; still feed kibble at night. My dogs have been doing wonderful. They're much calmer and more focused in training. I was trying to get rid of the kibble feeding by cooking homemade at night; I used oatmeal for carbs. Well, my dogs started getting eye goop, greasy ears and red spots around their groin area. After reading this thread, I decided to remove the oats and get rid of any kibble that had oats as well. It been four days and everything has cleared up in both dogs. Skin is clear, eye goop is normal. Yeah!!!!!!! They look and feel great. They're now eating 1 pound of raw meat and bone in the morning and about 2 cups of cooked chicken, eggs, veggies, fruit, brown rice/sweet potatoes and vitamins at night. I still offer them Taste of the Wild at night but they won't touch it. I'm surprised that they eat so little considering that they are such active dogs. We'll see how much they eat during hunting season! Thanks for posting this thread!:rock:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
average adult dog needs about 2% of their body weight in raw food / day. puppies get more.

so for a 50 pound dog 1 pound is about right. more active dogs get more (my aussies both get about 2lbs to hold their weight- 1 weighs 50 pounds the other is 35)

·
Registered
178 Posts
average adult dog needs about 2% of their body weight in raw food / day. puppies get more.

so for a 50 pound dog 1 pound is about right. more active dogs get more (my aussies both get about 2lbs to hold their weight- 1 weighs 50 pounds the other is 35)[/QUOT

Then their eating about 2 pounds a day is spot on. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I about gagged when I saw that label for eukaneuba salmon food. OK, the first ingredient is salmon (fins, eyes, scales and ground bones),

brewers rice is a byproduct of the brewing/distilling alcohol industry (so no nutrition there),

Sorghum is totally foreign for canines (I don't give a crap is its WHOLE sorghum or a fragment! Its crap!

Then comes potatoe....You can't honestly believe in your hearts that this is real white centers of real fresh american grown potatoes? Its the stems, leaves, eyes and rotting flesh of potatoes that were never destined to the grocery store or restaurant. If it comes from the potatoe plant, any portion of it, its called potatoe.

Some chicken meal is thrown in there. Isn't this a FISH formula for dogs who are intolerant of chicken? Then why is chicken included?

Fish meal, again, this is scales, heads, fins and eyes. It technically is from a fish but the filets have gone off to another conveyer line. The stuff that goes to the dog food factory is everything else....including all the feces in the guts.

Dried beet pulp, dont get me started and finally

EGG PRODUCT. Eggs are so filled with hormones and these mass produced eggs which are defective are turned into a powder and added to dog food to UP the protein level.

My main problem is all these ingredients aren't necessarily awful ....I can take a whole fish, almost any type of fish. I can add water to a big soup pot, and I can add barley, beets, eggs, and cut up cubes of potatoes. No salt, no aritificial flavor of any type and my dogs would gobble this weird mess right up. It has WHOLE foods in it, not overprocessed fragments of stuff that I wouldn't consider eating myself. I found a kibble that is all gluten free, and I dress it with warm "soup" that I cook out of varieties of meats and veggies. They do eat table food, just nothing with gluten, no pizza crust, no bagels, waffles, pretzels, cheese curls, fritos, McDonalds buns or nuggets (the breading has wheat) My dogs are very healthy, healthier than ME, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another Safe Gluten Free Brand of Poodle food

Reesmom & Stella -- Thank you! They posted on another tread about a brand I've never heard of that is gluten free.

Its called Taste of the Wild. I added the link so you can find it. They seem to sell it every where.

This is their formulas FORMULAS I like the fact that is doesn't have SOY. Many people don't know the SOY is really bad. Not only for people but dogs too. But that is for another posting... :focus:

Type in your zip code to find where they sell TASTE OF THE WILD. LOCATOR

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Symptoms

In an earlier post I mentioned
Yes, dogs can have an Gluten Intolerance.... The symptoms in dogs are very much like people. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, skin lesions, weakness and fatigue and a bloated stomach. Watch how a dog behaves after it eats. Is it sluggish? Bloated? Sometime constipation like IBS... It may have a gluten intolerance. The diarrhea is foul smelling, and/or the stool can be pale in color...... It is essentially an intolerance to gluten (found in wheat, rye, barley and oats, (and sometimes corn) .....
You might notice only one or two of these symptoms in your Poodle and not all of them. They don't need to have all the symptom for them to be reactive to Gluten.

Doctors have reported that 97% of people have not been diagnosed that really do have Celiac. And, here is a caveat you can have a gluten intolerance and not have Celiac Disease; you can just be relative to it. I have found this to be true in my Poodles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is It Really Gluten Free Dog Food? -- YouTube

I found these wonderful videos on YouTube. They are worth watching.

Testing for Gluten Free dog food. Video 1

Testing for Gluten Free dog food. Video 2

Testing for Gluten Free dog food. Video 3

This is her site. GlutenFreeFox

1 - 20 of 40 Posts