Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you can buy the human pills and give it to your dog? Is it safe? I would probably just pill her or put it in some canned food because she wont eat it if its ground up. I was thinking it would be ok as long as the levels are right. Also how much would she need of each? She is a small breed dog and 15 years old.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I gave my GSD glucosamine/chondroitin for his joints, that was meant for people. I bought a huge container at Costco and since he was a very large dog (125) he got 2 caplets a day for maintenance, the same as I would take. For a small dog, I would just check the labels on the glucosamine/chondroitin that's meant for the dogs and just cut it up with a pill cutter.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Since it is natural product and part of cartilage and bones you can not get much wrong with that (absolutely same thing used for humans ) . Any side effect in human studies ever found were stomach upset (about 3% of participants) .

The only thing is that new studies show VERY LITTLE effect on humans (if any) in pain reduction or arthritis prevention - so I would spend too much money in that department.

Best of luck : ))

1 - 3 of 3 Posts