Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is too long post, even with paragraphs removed! Babbling.. I am close to giving up getting a dog at all. Not just giving up on poodles. No breeders with puppies or adult dog in our price range for at least a year, or two, that I can locate. Our range with a Maximum $2500 price and a 6 months or so wait. Now wait can be 1-3 years. Majority want you to pick their kennel, send $250-$500 to hold your place. Even if each litter is small and your wait gets longer they do not return deposit. Smart and needed for them, but also means locked in to one seller for us. Cannot afford thousands to be on multiple wait lists.

i over react to scams, meanness,etc. my frustration over all our lives changed by covid, our dog’s death, mixed in with frustration from perfectly understandable changes in locating a dog, mixed with reactions to scams, cheating.

our Shetland sheepdog was a pick of litter for stud’s breeder but too small.( Under $1000 but 16 years ago).
I thought we might find a well bred healthy dog not show quality for under $2500. We hoped for a poodle. i even also checked other breeds this week. FYI in our area true local rescue dogs are pit mixes labeled as various things but..pits. Husband strongly dislikes them.

Looks like a purebred puppy or adult (to age 5) is out of our price range. More like $3000 to $10,000?

this goes off into a long rant. I feel as if the frustration mixed with the loss of our 16 yr old dog in September, my isolation since covid.( I am very high risk.) Feels like I am hitting multiple roadblocks. Covid emptied shelters, yay! But also emptied breeders kennels. so, yay for them. Frustrating for me. also finding what I suspect are scams.

breeders down payments so high we would be locked in to a years long wait Or forget the $500.
I have been searching, emailing, making a few calls.
a few breeder’s sites asked for application without payment, before calling.
most recent one, I fill out application then called two days later. (not a poodle breeder but very near us) asked us to call her., but she did not yet see application.

i was so nervous I stuttered (not usual ever) and babbled (usual) too. Started off wrong. Said we are excited by her CV. She said I do not have a CD. Funny but i felt stupid, thus stuttered. ( she links her reply email to personal history for her sales business)

she is inundated..getting 15-20 applications every day! Crazy. If I understood her she asks around $5000 and up With a quality show prospect of her breed about $10,000. way Beyond us.

she stated the AKC Marketplace is not always reputable decent breeders.

she confirmed what I am seeing on adoption sites like petfinder...rescues with 20-75 puppies every month. Said some are calling it “retail rescue”. can write more if interested.

so we may need to give up this search, for any dog. I just turned 70, so waiting a few years seems tough If we get a puppy. I housebroke lots of fosters but I have come to think my old Collie dog housebroke and trained them.

am I right in assuming we may need to stop looking for now? I just cannot pay $3,000 and up up up. I actually wanted an off sized dog. A too big mini or a too small standard. Perhaps an adult dog that has lived in a house. Any color but black.
the only option besides ads online are to buy a southern hound that will not hunt!

barbara

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Stinks
Really
The great puppy shortage of 2020
I suggest if you are indeed in New Jersey to try Poodle Rescue of Connecticut, put in an application and yes you will have to wait like so many things these days.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
That sounds very difficult. Honestly if I was searching for a dog at this point I would expect a wait of a year or so. There is just such a shortage right now. I don't think you will need to pay more than $2500 to get a well bred poodle from a good breeder, but right now it's just a very long wait. Some of the larger breeders may be producing enough litters that putting down a deposit is more of a guarantee that you will get a pup in a given time frame.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It's nuts right now. People are charging twice what I paid for Annie for what, growing up, I would charitably have called ' Dog A cross sneaky neighbours dog", and would normally be $300-500 dogs, max. Like rottweiler hound crosses.

I am already starting to see the first COVID puppies hit the local buy and sell groups to be rehomed due to seperation anxiety, lack of time, etc. If that's a route you are willing to take, and you arent picky about breed, perhaps put a word in with local vets and trainers? A relative is a trainer, and often knows of decent dogs being rehomed and will spread word if they like the dog.

Honestly though, even in normal times I would likely have been looking at a 1/2 year wait for a poodle from a good breeder, with a deposit down. I lucked out and found a litter on the ground, but doubt you could do that now. There is a local high volume breeder that normally has litters available, and older puppies - they are breeding 2-3 litters per month and have dogs presold into early spring.

Also, depending on how many puppies per litter the breeder takes deposits on you may luck out to get a dog earlier. Many I see take deposits for 6 puppies, or 8 puppies. Standards can have big litters, both my dogs mother's litters had 12 puppies.

Good luck! I really feel for anyone puppy hunting right now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds very difficult. Honestly if I was searching for a dog at this point I would expect a wait of a year or so. There is just such a shortage right now. I don't think you will need to pay more than $2500 to get a well bred poodle from a good breeder, but right now it's just a very long wait. Some of the larger breeders may be producing enough litters that putting down a deposit is more of a guarantee that you will get a pup in a given time frame.
One issue is I have zero idea who are large but quality breeders of poodles. Also I do not know how to contact and pick one to leave deposit..what o ask, what to say.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's nuts right now. People are charging twice what I paid for Annie for what, growing up, I would charitably have called ' Dog A cross sneaky neighbours dog", and would normally be $300-500 dogs, max. Like rottweiler hound crosses.

I am already starting to see the first COVID puppies hit the local buy and sell groups to be rehomed due to seperation anxiety, lack of time, etc. If that's a route you are willing to take, and you arent picky about breed, perhaps put a word in with local vets and trainers? A relative is a trainer, and often knows of decent dogs being rehomed and will spread word if they like the dog.

Honestly though, even in normal times I would likely have been looking at a 1/2 year wait for a poodle from a good breeder, with a deposit down. I lucked out and found a litter on the ground, but doubt you could do that now. There is a local high volume breeder that normally has litters available, and older puppies - they are breeding 2-3 litters per month and have dogs presold into early spring.

Also, depending on how many puppies per litter the breeder takes deposits on you may luck out to get a dog earlier. Many I see take deposits for 6 puppies, or 8 puppies. Standards can have big litters, both my dogs mother's litters had 12 puppies.

Good luck! I really feel for anyone puppy hunting right now.
. The rescue dogs are just pitiful right now. I get sad and mad. Need to stop checking til this ends. The covid puppies apparently kind of crazy and expect people to dump them whenmit ends. Or sooner. Rescues seem to have Either mixed breed designer infant puppies or dogs with multiple medical and behavior issues. As in bit three different owners. Blind/deaf and not housebroken..and senior. I no longer feel as competent to work with dogs with certainserious issues. six plus years of cats with chronic feline kidney disease and slowly fading Sheltie. Fingers crossed I can let it go til the right dog comes along.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't know what your geographic requirements are, but here are some litters either expected are recently arrived, and listed on PoodleBreeders.com. No endorsement as I don't know these breeders. You would have to research health testing, etc. These are all standard breeders.

There was also a post on this Facebook page earlier this month that said all puppies were not yet spoken for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
this is too long post, even with paragraphs removed! Babbling.. I am close to giving up getting a dog at all. Not just giving up on poodles. No breeders with puppies or adult dog in our price range for at least a year, or two, that I can locate. Our range with a Maximum $2500 price and a 6 months or so wait. Now wait can be 1-3 years. Majority want you to pick their kennel, send $250-$500 to hold your place. Even if each litter is small and your wait gets longer they do not return deposit. Smart and needed for them, but also means locked in to one seller for us. Cannot afford thousands to be on multiple wait lists.

i over react to scams, meanness,etc. my frustration over all our lives changed by covid, our dog’s death, mixed in with frustration from perfectly understandable changes in locating a dog, mixed with reactions to scams, cheating.

our Shetland sheepdog was a pick of litter for stud’s breeder but too small.( Under $1000 but 16 years ago).
I thought we might find a well bred healthy dog not show quality for under $2500. We hoped for a poodle. i even also checked other breeds this week. FYI in our area true local rescue dogs are pit mixes labeled as various things but..pits. Husband strongly dislikes them.

Looks like a purebred puppy or adult (to age 5) is out of our price range. More like $3000 to $10,000?

this goes off into a long rant. I feel as if the frustration mixed with the loss of our 16 yr old dog in September, my isolation since covid.( I am very high risk.) Feels like I am hitting multiple roadblocks. Covid emptied shelters, yay! But also emptied breeders kennels. so, yay for them. Frustrating for me. also finding what I suspect are scams.

breeders down payments so high we would be locked in to a years long wait Or forget the $500.
I have been searching, emailing, making a few calls.
a few breeder’s sites asked for application without payment, before calling.
most recent one, I fill out application then called two days later. (not a poodle breeder but very near us) asked us to call her., but she did not yet see application.

i was so nervous I stuttered (not usual ever) and babbled (usual) too. Started off wrong. Said we are excited by her CV. She said I do not have a CD. Funny but i felt stupid, thus stuttered. ( she links her reply email to personal history for her sales business)

she is inundated..getting 15-20 applications every day! Crazy. If I understood her she asks around $5000 and up With a quality show prospect of her breed about $10,000. way Beyond us.

she stated the AKC Marketplace is not always reputable decent breeders.

she confirmed what I am seeing on adoption sites like petfinder...rescues with 20-75 puppies every month. Said some are calling it “retail rescue”. can write more if interested.

so we may need to give up this search, for any dog. I just turned 70, so waiting a few years seems tough If we get a puppy. I housebroke lots of fosters but I have come to think my old Collie dog housebroke and trained them.

am I right in assuming we may need to stop looking for now? I just cannot pay $3,000 and up up up. I actually wanted an off sized dog. A too big mini or a too small standard. Perhaps an adult dog that has lived in a house. Any color but black.
the only option besides ads online are to buy a southern hound that will not hunt!

barbara
I'm 76 and my wife is nearly 71. We have a boy who is now 14 weeks that we acquired out of Washington State for 2K. He was shipped to Alaska via Alaska Airlines who did a great job of taking care him on his journey. Unfortunately, the breeder retired her female after this litter. The point is, they can be found.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't know what your geographic requirements are, but here are some litters either expected are recently arrived, and listed on PoodleBreeders.com. No endorsement as I don't know these breeders. You would have to research health testing, etc. These are all standard breeders.

There was also a post on this Facebook page earlier this month that said all puppies were not yet spoken for.

thanks for taking the time to help me. I will check these out. It feels overwhelming at times. Fake rescues, high Prices. Covid crazies including my own.
despite the endless vet bills for our 2 shelter cats I am this close to getting a kitten.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
BarbaraInJersey, I know this is a complicated search, and I don't think you should give up. You've put in a lot of effort for what feels like little reward, but even in the best of times, six months wouldn't be an unusual wait, let alone now. I know you must feel anxious over your search, so possibly just a short break, a few days, but I wouldn't give up.

I assume you're still open to an older pup or young adult also.
Here's a valuable resource, the Poodle Club of America breeder referral contact info. They will have fairly up to date info on conscientious breeders in your region.

Your concerns about scams and otherwise being taken advantage of are reasonable, but we can help you sort thru them if you could mention some breeders you've considered and ruled out, or are still considering.

I haven't spoken to any breeders since I'm not searching myself, but I'm very surprised to hear that quality, conscientious breeders such as would be recommended by PF members would take such advantage by raising prices simply due to "because they can".

Remind me of how far you'd be able to travel to meet first, and then later pick up a poodle? I'd find $3000 to be on the high end, even in these times.

There's a recent thread about placing deposits, which typically run from a low of $200 up to as much as half the purchase price, but that deposit is not meant for being placed on a wait list. You get on a wait list after you and the breeder have had several conversations (possibly an application to fill out first), with many questions asked and answered on both sides. It's typically when there is a planned breeding or an actual litter on the ground. The deposit is good faith between you and the breeder that you want the poodle and that they will have a poodle to suit you.

Have you contacted any of these below? All of these are breeders who do (at least some) health testing or they wouldn't have made these lists. I feel that if a breeder is spending for the health testing, which isn't exactly cheap, then they're also probably doing much more to ensure their poodles are the best they can be. They're looking to the life of the poodle they send home with their new families as well as the future of all poodles.

Here's the minimum of testing you should hope to find

Miniature Minimum Testing Criteria
prcd Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA testing from an approved laboratory
Eye clearance by the Companion Animal Eye Registry (CAER)
Hip Dysplasia evaluation from an approved agency
Patellar Luxation OFA evaluation

Standard Minimum Testing Criteria
Hip Dysplasia evaluation from an approved agency
Eye clearance by the Companion Animal Eye Registry (CAER)
Plus Health Elective (At least one of the following tests):
OFA Thyroid evaluation from an approved laboratory
OFA SA Evaluation from an approved dermapathologist
Congenital Cardiac Exam
Advanced Cardiac Exam

And if you have a dogs registered name or just the kennel name, you can look at testing on the official OFA site.

OFA Lookup - by kennel name or dog name or registry number - Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

https://www.ofa.org/look-up-a-dog

Find a breeder you'll be comfortable with for the next 15 years or so :).

Connecticut
www.madelapoodles.com/
S

M

• Delaware
DiMarnique's Miniature Poodles
dimarniques.com
dimarniques.com
M

Maryland
S

Massachusetts
Stonehaus Poodles
S

• New Jersey

Mount Bethel Poodles, Limestone TN (sister breeders nearer you)
Mount Bethel Poodles: Raising poodles for over 15 years with integrity. AKC champions, thorough health testing, puppies and dogs well loved and socialized.
www.mountbethelpoodles.com
S

NEW JERSEY POODLES Scherezade Poodles
S

Darkover Poodles | ,
M

• New York

City Lights Standard Poodles - Home
S

Propert's Way Ranch
Propert's Way Ranch
Propert’s Way Ranch is a small hobby farm in the rolling hills of Western New York. We are a busy homeschooling family that loves animals. Our animals include: Standard Poodles, Morgan horses, a...
www.propertsway.com
S

Eriand Poodles | Long Island Poodle Breeder
Eriand Poodles | Poodle Breeder | Miniature Poodle Puppies | Standard Poodle Puppies | Poodle Breeder Long Island | AKC Poodle Puppies
www.eriandpoodles.com
www.eriandpoodles.com
S/M

Welcome to Light N' Lively Miniature Poodles

www.poodlebreeders.com
www.poodlebreeders.com
M

Desjardins Standard Poodle Puppies and Miniature Dachshunds
Desjardins Standard Poodles

Pennsylvania

Red and Apricot Standard Poodles | Farleys D Standard Poodles

www.farleysd.com
FarleysD S PFM

New Destiny Poodles
Breeding and showing standard poodles for over 20 years.
newdestinypoodles.com
S

Rosebud Standard Poodles

rosebudstandardpoodles.net
S

ThunderRunK9
SAR Malinois & Poodles.
www.thunderruncanine.com
S (small)

D and D Standard Poodles
S

and the multi state listings:

Multi State

Facebook Groups
Litters From Health Tested Poodles has 5,425 members. ANSWER ALL 3 QUESTIONS TO JOIN!!! PLEASE note we do not allow advertisement for litters that do not meet and PASS CHIC minimum testing. Of...
www.facebook.com
www.facebook.com
Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

Poodlesonline .com

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!

PoodleBreeders .com

Poodle Breeders - Standard, Miniature and Toy Poodle puppies
Standard, Miniature and Toy poodle puppies and adults for sale. Featuring health conscious poodle breeders in the USA and Canada. Many beautiful photos and information about available puppies.
www.poodlebreeders.com
www.poodlebreeders.com

Poodle Variety Breeders

Poodle Variety's Breeders Directory

Good Dog .com

Poodle Puppies For Sale from Certified Breeders Nationwide | Good Dog
Find a Poodle puppy from reputable breeders near you and nationwide. Screened for quality. Transportation available. Visit us now to find your dog.
www.gooddog.com

Poodle (Non-standard) Puppies For Sale from Certified Breeders Nationwide | Good Dog
Find a Poodle (Non-standard) puppy from reputable breeders near you and nationwide. Screened for quality. Transportation available. Visit us now to find your dog.
www.gooddog.com

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Don'[t give up the right pup or dog is out there and will find you. Also call my breeder, we are in the south so it may be either a road trip or shipping, perhaps she can help find you a puppy. As consumers there comes a point when we must just put our foot down. I would not pay over $3000 for any pup, and probably would not pay that much. I also have never given a deposit. I will not give mSeems too easy to just hand $ over without some expectation of when. I will send you a private message .

·
Registered
970 Posts
I agree with the above several posts about price and deposits. Also, responsible breeders will provide the names of others who may have puppies, if they're not breeding at the moment. I remember the search for my first poodle, just learning how responsible breeders work, and not willing to wait. I'm now thinking ahead to my next dog (1 to 2 years). Surprise, surprise . . . I was offered a puppy from one breeder that I contacted a few months ago, that she had held back for showing (I declined); and I was contacted by a second breeder 2 days ago when one of her prospective owners dropped out due to COVID quarantine restrictions in her state (the breeder is not asking deposits of anyone yet, with a 3-week old litter on the ground). There's no guarantee that I will get my puppy early, it's just an example of what can happen.

You never know what will happen, even when it seems that all doors are closed. Please take advantage of the knowledge and experience available in this community.

·
Super Moderator
1,815 Posts
I agree you shouldn't get discouraged. Waitlists aren't the only story. I got Pogo as a leftover. His dam had a larger than normal litter, so his breeder didn't have a buyer lined up for him. Snarky came a few weeks later, when his original owner returned him to the breeder for personal reasons. I was so in love with Pogo at that point I jumped on the chance to get his littermate.

Right now I'm on a wait list for a puppy to be bred next year. Covid has nothing to do with my long wait. I want a dog from a particular line. The bitch was slightly too young to be bred this fall, and her next heat probably won't happen until February or March 2021. It's just the way Nature works

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm 76 and my wife is nearly 71. We have a boy who is now 14 weeks that we acquired out of Washington State for 2K. He was shipped to Alaska via Alaska Airlines who did a great job of taking care him on his journey. Unfortunately, the breeder retired her female after this litter. The point is, they can be found.
I second the keep looking message. We're from WA too, Basil's breeder is word-of-mouth advertising because she's afraid of buyer scammers due to Covid taking advantage of the situation. She has 5 out of 11 puppies that still need a home due to go home before Christmas with therapy-like tempurment and show genetics at a reasonable price.

So, don't think it's the end of the road. They're out there. Keep asking around because they're out there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
From reading your post I would recommend taking a few days off from your search & then try again. It's not easy, especially right now. The breeder my Standard Poodle came from opted not to breed pups this year. With everything that happens during a pandemic, she was not going to make puppies & put them into the mix. She's not $ motivated because she could have far more buyers than puppies. For her, it just wasn't the right thing to do, which I respect. I doubt she is alone in this thought process. So several have bowed out for at least a year. This pandemic has made a mess out of everything & we're all feeling it. Just take a little time & when you come back at it maybe you'll find what you seek. We've all had breeder finding frustrations it's just that due to stupid-covid, it's magnified.

Sending you hugs & prayers that you'll find not just a pup but the right puppy & a great breeder to work with.

·
Registered
588 Posts
BarbaraInNewjersey, not sure if you are set on a puppy, but I would highly recommend checking out the Standard Poodles Rescue and Rehome group on FaceBook. There are usually always dogs in the northeast available. I got my boy that way. He was 22 mo, housebroken, and started in obedience. He has been a dream.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BarbaraInNewjersey, not sure if you are set on a puppy, but I would highly recommend checking out the Standard Poodles Rescue and Rehome group on FaceBook. There are usually always dogs in the northeast available. I got my boy that way. He was 22 mo, housebroken, and started in obedience. He has been a dream.
Wow. Will find them and check in. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
One other thought from reading your initial email: how set are you about the dog not being black? When I was looking, there were way more black poodles bring bred (by reputable breeders) than other colors. Maybe this is a regional thing (we're in the Midwest) though I have heard that black is the dominant gene? I really don't know why, but we started out wanting another color, had no luck, decided we didn't really care, and now we have a 6 month old black puppy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One other thought from reading your initial email: how set are you about the dog not being black? When I was looking, there were way more black poodles bring bred (by reputable breeders) than other colors. Maybe this is a regional thing (we're in the Midwest) though I have heard that black is the dominant gene? I really don't know why, but we started out wanting another color, had no luck, decided we didn't really care, and now we have a 6 month old black puppy.
Literally was talking with my husband about this. It depends on how visible the dog’s eyes and also how easy to see small, subtle muzzle movements are. our Black cat has green eyes but very rare to see anything but the black pupil and black fur. I could easily see our coonhound.
She watched over her child-flock, he Sang the beautiful song of his people. Features were easy to see.
gone and missed deeply then, now, forever. RIP.
917F7CDE-F962-473B-A0F3-F46A25A8C590.jpeg

Emily Jane Collie and Sarge Coonhound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts