Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet has told me its normal but Ginger's eyes - man they leak such big globs of mucous and not in the corner - in the middle. Its so hard to keep the little bit of hair there clear. How close do you shave the hair near the eyes and do you need a special clipper for that?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Underneath the eye I shave off completely with a #30. I haven't been game enough to go for the #40 yet in case we start getting clipper burn, but I think I will once he gets a little older. You don't need a special clipper but it is much easier with a cordless just cause it is easier to manouveur, less noise and less weight - good for newbies like me :smile:

I found T was much calmer, less fidgety with the Moser Arco I bought than when I only had the Wahl's.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you pull the skin so the eye is pulled out to a slant, it makes the area nice and flat and really easy to buzz all of the hair off. Does that make sense? LOL Kind of hard to explain. As far as the eye goo, Sam has that really bad too. The vet says it's is from allergies. We just keep cleaning him up with tissues when we see it, usually a couple times a day. If you miss it and it dries on the hair its alot harder to get off. We are so used to it now, even my boys know to get a tissue and take care of it when they see it. If anyone knows any cures, I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet said it was allergies also. I have a hard time getting the hair under the eyes - she keeps moving her head!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Agree with the others, pull the skin tight then you can get under the eye easily without it nicking her. If she keeps moving her head be firm as she must know you are the boss and she is getting done regardless.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't have to do it to trim his face, but Sam hates it when I have to clean dried eye goo, so I put his head under my arm like a player holds a football. He thinks he's getting a big hug, but it gives me a chance to clean his eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts