Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 8 month old spoo, Tango, has picked up Giardia. The vet needs us to give her a powdered medication. Any tips on how to get Tango to take her medicine?

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Can you mix it in canned food or is it too much powder ? If too much powder, then a mix of canned food and chicken broth, or ground beef + a bit of rice and broth ?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
What is the medication? If it is metronidazole/flagyl I think it is not very good tasting and I don't recall ever seeing it as a powder, but it is a typical remedy for Giardiasis.

Reactions: jennkpeterson

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I wet her kibble topped it with the powder (Panacur) and added some scrambled egg. Most of it went down! Another question, the vet said that Tango tested positive for Giardia RNA, but she isn't actually sloughing off parasites. She is not having diarrhea or vomiting. She hasn't been the greatest eater the past 5 days though. That said, do I need to bleach her toys, dishes, bedding, etc.?

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Giardia are protozoans that have two stages in their life cycle, cysts and trophozoites. Cysts are dormant, non-feeding forms that will be shed in feces of infected but asymptomatic individuals. Trophozoites are the active feeding forms of the parasite that live mostly in the small intestine and can cause a variety of signs including diarrhea, flatulence, weight loss in spite of usual calorie intake and such. The usual mode of transmission is through ingestion of cycsts, however cysts are somewhat chlorine resistant so I am not sure whether bleach would help much. Also febendazole and metronidazole are from the same class of drugs and have essentially the same mechanism of action.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts