Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The agility club here on island offers obedience training and then obviously agility. Does our pup need to be fully obedience trained before we can start agility or can it kind of go together? I only ask, because their next obedience training starts in April. I used to show dogs in 4H, and know how to train a dog, but I figured the socialization of class can't hurt. We did basic agility training in 4H, but I showed three different Basset Hounds and a Dachshund, none of which were capable of doing agility really well, and I was always jealous of the other kids with Border Collies and Shelties who always won. Bubba (my basset), once stood on the see-saw until we were disqualified time-wise, I was mortified :lol: Any tips on getting started would be great!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hmm, well my experience is so very limited, but I'd say it's really up to you.
Do you feel like you have good off leash control with your dog?

I did obedience first, but that was required by my trainer. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll see what the club says about the obedience training, or if it has to be done through their facility. I want to get started training him right away, and may sign him up for a class at Petco or another pet store close by until we can get into the other class in April. I feel so silly, but he is the first puppy we've had in many, many years :lol:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Most dogs have to have at least 1 obedience class before starting unless you can privately demo how good your dog is off leash. I think its a good idea anyways to get him used to a class situation and teh "rules" of classes before starting doing something off leash (like no meeting other dogs, listening to mom, etc).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts