Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxy is now 8 months old and we are in the process of taking our basic obedience class... She already knows most the commands, but it forces me to work on them with her on a regular basis... plus she has to pass the basic obedience before they will let her in the agility class.

I am interested in doing rally and agility with her, I know the kennel that we are going to has courses for agility, but I don't know how to get started in rally... Where do I start?

Any tips and knowledge that you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

p

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A rally book would be a great help. Rally is basically obedience with some different exercises. If you have a book with a list of the exercises, you can probably figure out a lot of it yourself. Also, look on the AKC website and see if there is a rally trial near you - it would be a great help to watch. Dogwise.com is a great place for dog books.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Rally O is great!
It is basically obedience, but not as formal, and more fun.
You basically have your dog in a heel type position (not perfect heeling, but not lagging way back), and navigate a course of about 12-20 signs. Signs are basically, sitting beside you, moving around the dog in a wait sit/down/stand, call dog to front then to heel etc., fast pace, slow pace, ummm... there are heaps more. It is really fun, and dogs enjoy it too. You could really teach it to yourself if you found out about it, as it is really just simple obedience that gets more and more complicatedish.

But go a Rally Show somewhere to see it firsthand, or find a youtube video about it.

This is a Rally O site in New Zealand, if you take a look at the handbook, it explains the signs at the different levels
http://nzaro.webs.com/

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
dogwise.com is AWSOME! J and J pet supplies also has a good selection of books :) There are a lot of books on the market right now but check the publication date. I would advise you to purchase at least one of the newer books since the rules to rally have changed in the last couple of years. Some of the signs were also renamed. The book I have is outdated but still a great refference. If you can do Agility without getting lost on the course Rally-O will be a breeze! LoL, that is always my big problem I forget what is next a couple of times have had a moment of terror because I thought I was lost Haha. thankgoodness they let you walk the course before your class, I would be in real trouble if that were not the case :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts