Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What age do you do this? Right now our set up is crate inside a puppy pen. The pen has her bed, water, and toys. We only use the crate, closed, at night (except when she's so cute sleeping on her bed and I can't bring myself to do it!). The pen is then inside our dining room/kitchen area which is tile and gated off from the rest of the house. Eventually I want to get rid of the puppy pen and just have the crate in there, utilizing the gate to keep her in that area when unattended.

Thoughts on when to do this? I'm guessing the answer is when she can be trusted in that room alone for long periods of time. Well, if the counters and table are cleared and there is nothing interesting, she's fine. LOL. However she will 'counter surf' and get things if it's within reach. I have left her alone in there for short outings a few times and this seems to be a factor in our success. She has piddled a few times, but I think it was due to circumstance of time and not consistent.

So I guess two questions b/c the second is how do I cure of counter-surfing?! She's only getting taller!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on stopping counter surfing. PWDs are notorious counter surfers and all of ours live up to the breed in that aspect! We deal with it never leaving anything tempting out on the counter when we're not in the vicinity.

Our first PWD, Kelsey, was able to say "Mama" when we held a treat over his head. He even won some pet trick competitions with his talent! Anyway, he LOVED eating butter and one day my mom was in the basement while he was in the kitchen and heard him saying "Mama" over and over. Suddenly there was silence, so she went upstairs to see what he was up to and there he was, feet on the counter and with his nose straight in the butter. He'd obviously decided he had done his trick often enough and it was time for his reward. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cute!

Our dog self-rewarded by having a deeper reach than I thought and getting nearly an entire bag of her BIG dog treats! HUGE! I was so worried she'd get sick. She must have had at least a dozen of them. Though I was so relieved that the empty ziplock I found wasn't the one of vitamins (also left on the counter ACTUALLY out of reach) that I couldn't get too upset.

She still hasn't gotten anymore dog treats. Pooch, grain-free big dog treats aren't easy to find!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hope this helps:

For reprimands to work, you must catch them in the act every time and deliver an immediate correction. Even if they only succeed in snagging a treat once in a while, it’s enough to reinforce the bad habit. Estep calls it “puppy gambling”—they might lose 99 percent of the time, but all they need is that rare jackpot to keep investing in the game. So as soon as his feet hit the countertop, use your correction word—“no,” “leave it,” “down”—and immediately hustle him off to a time-out spot (somewhere boring like the bathroom or laundry room). A spray bottle with water can work as a correction for cats. “If it’s hard to catch them every time, you can set up little booby traps,” says Estep. Try stacking empty soda cans along the edge of the countertop so that when they jump up, they knock over the cans. The startling noise acts as an immediate correction, and over time they’ll associate the counter with a negative experience and (hopefully) give up.

(written by Nora Simmons)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the best to give advice because I broke all the rules. Even with doing that Lorelei has become a very well mannered dog. She's only slipped a couple of times in the last several on the house breaking part and both times happened when it was raining REALLY hard outside. She's ok with water when it on the ground but doesn't like the feeling of it hitting her skin I guess.

I only used the crate for a couple of months (other than at night and when we were not around) and I never confined her to a designated area inside the house, although I did fence her out of the living room which is the only room with a rug right now. She was allowed in while we were there to keep an eye on things. What I did do was watch her like a hawk, I learned what her behavior was like when she was about to "go" and brought her right outside, sometimes she didn't make it all the way to the door but she was trying! Fortunately I have a dog door that leads to a fenced area and she learned pretty quickly that she was expected to use it. She was so easy to train compared to the three Jack Russells and two dachshunds that I had before that I couldn't even get upset when she made a mistake.

As far as the counter surfing, I have taught Lorelei the command "leave it" and for the most part she respects that very well. She doesn't usually go back to the same thing more than a couple of times once I have told her to leave it. I also don't give her any people food at all so she doesn't seem to have an interest in the counter or table. Not for food anyway, she does sometimes steel other things left in her reach like paper work, pens, chapskick etc. After having small dogs for so long this was something I had forgotten I would need to think about. I'm glad she's been so respectful.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Once I was watching this show on animal planet concerning dog training, and there was a "counter surfer," well the trainer installed this advice and everytime the dog got on the counter it emitted a noise that startled the dog and it stopped and got down.

I don't know what it was...but there is an idead for "us" lol

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Once I was watching this show on animal planet concerning dog training, and there was a "counter surfer," well the trainer installed this advice and everytime the dog got on the counter it emitted a noise that startled the dog and it stopped and got down.

I don't know what it was...but there is an idead for "us" lol
I saw that!!! It was on "it's me or the dog" and she recommended hitting two metal pot lids together to create the noise... or using an air horn.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I saw that one too. I was also amazed at the lab that would cruise the refrigerator when they left. I'm a little surprised more dogs don't do it. Thank goodness they don't. In that case she used sound aversion also. It's easier to catch the behavior when they have to open a door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts