Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
it's been a long time since I've posted anything but I lurk around alot and I want to say a quick thank you for all the great information and advice that is given in this forum. It really is a gold mine.
The answer to my question is probably somewhere on some thread here but I've missed it so if this is a repeat I apologize.
I've been been looking at, researching and drooling over Standard Poodles for many, many years and have finally decided to get a baby. Mary Jane Weir and Beverly Tufford have 2 litters on the ground and I'm going to get one out of Evie. Mary Jane had a pup last year that she thought would be good for me but my son was away for summer vacation and I really wanted someone to be home to help the baby to get adjusted to his new environment so I declined because I work full time.
Now I find myself in almost the exact same situation. However, given that Mary Jane and Beverly only have 1 or 2 litters every 1 or 2 years (which I REALLY like) and that the sire who I also really like is going back home (to Europe I think) soon. So I've decided to get a baby from this litter.
What can I do to keep a little baby as unstressed and happy as possible while I'm away at work? I have another dog (a little rat terrier) but she herself suffers from separation anxiety when she's left alone and I wouldn't trust her with the baby for the first while anyway. I'd take baby to work but I'd probably get fired (I'm a city bus driver...they frown on us bringing pets to work). This situation will last about a month until my son comes home (after which the baby will probably forget how to walk as a result of my son carrying it everywhere).
Suggestions? Personal experiences? All advice is welcome.
This situation

·
Registered
12 Posts
The pup may pick up actions from your terrier and mimic them. can you affod someone to come in and play with your puppy walk, and care for your puppy while you are at work, until your Son returns home.
I do not believe the best interest would be to leave your pup alone all day when you first have him/her in your home.

·
Registered
781 Posts
couple of questions: how many hours will you be out of the house? are you going to crate the pup? can you keep the crate in a different room than your other dog is maybe in a way that they can't even see each other? can you get someone who will come in 1 to 2 times each day (depending on how many hours you are out of the house) that you have to work to walk the pup and possibly feed him/her ?

this type of arrangement will incur some cost, but since this is only to bridge you over till your son gets home, it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I work 8 - 9 hours a day and as much as I hate to, I suppose I'll have to crate the little guy. I've been thinking about who I could get to help me with this and am drawing a blank. What about a doggie day care? There are a couple in the city? But I have no experience with what they are like. What should I look for/watch out for?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The puppy should be crated during the day while you are gone. A puppy can stay in a crate during the day for as many hours as it is month old + 1. This means that an 8 week old puppy can be in a crate for 3 hours (2months + 1) before it has to come out and go potty. A puppy up to around 12 should also eat 3 times a day. Do you have a friend, neighbor, relative who can come over 2Xs a day to let the puppy out and feed it?

BTW...Puppies should not be carried around. They are not babies. They are dogs. You can seriously retard a dog's development socially and emotionally by carrying it around every where. A puppy needs to learn to walk on its own 4 feet.... so to speak.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I work 8 - 9 hours a day and as much as I hate to, I suppose I'll have to crate the little guy. I've been thinking about who I could get to help me with this and am drawing a blank. What about a doggie day care? There are a couple in the city? But I have no experience with what they are like. What should I look for/watch out for?
first, find out from you vet would a doggie day care be a safe place for you pup? will he/she have enough immunity? i wouldn't personally be comfortable with that.

here's another idea - most breeders would work with you - ask if they could hold your pup until your son gets home. knowing that the pup would be safer and happier with them may make you feel better. even though you are anxious to bring the pup home, this may be your best option.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
here's another idea - most breeders would work with you - ask if they could hold your pup until your son gets home. knowing that the pup would be safer and happier with them may make you feel better. even though you are anxious to bring the pup home, this may be your best option.
That is a GREAT idea! I once kept a puppy until it was 13 weeks old because the family had a planned trip. I will say though that you should expect to pay the breeder for this service.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's another idea - most breeders would work with you - ask if they could hold your pup until your son gets home. knowing that the pup would be safer and happier with them may make you feel better. even though you are anxious to bring the pup home, this may be your best option.[/QUOTE]

I think this may be my best option. I'll have to ask if this would be OK.
Thanks!

PS - I wouldn't let my kid carry the pup around all day either, it was just a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If you don't want to crate the pup all day, you could get an x-pen and set it up and that way the pup can move around a little more.

But I like Jessie's Mom's idea about asking the breeder to hold the pup until your son is home.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I think the safest thing would be to ask the breeder if the pup can stay a little longer . When I asked my breeder about not bringing Ruby home until I was out of school for summer break, she was more than happy to agree!
A good breeder really wants what's best for the dog anyway!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Edmonton so with a vet's reference I should be able to find a good 'daycare'.

I agree that it would be better to have the pup stay with the breeder until my son is back home...but.., she said these poodles come from lines with very high prey drives and I live with an African Grey that has full range of the house and is the top critter in the home. I want the pup to learn as soon as possible that Pepper is a part of its pack. Not food or a feathered chew toy. The older the pup gets before learning this the harder it may be to teach this.

The lesser of 2 evils I guess, and it will be only for a month. Well I still have a month and a half to decide.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Personally, I would want to get the puppy and bond with it , rather than leave it at the breeder's. It may be difficult to find a daycare that will take a pup that young...how about getting a friend or a child who is out of school for the summer to come in a few times during the day to play with it and let it out?
You won't find a breeder who is more honest than Mary Jane. My boy, Troy, is sired by her Phoenix, who I fell in love with when I went and helped Mary Jane with grooming two summers ago (gosh, MJ's just brimming with knowledge!). I don't think Evie and Phoenix are related (I believe the sire of your litter is Newman?) but I think you'll be as happy with your puppy as I am with Troy.
Best of luck.
Vivienne

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You know how you tell the puppy NO a lot and say its name a lot, your new poodle will hear it from YOU and your GRAY. Here, puppy puppy (nips nose).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
First choice i'd rrnge for a dog wlker to come to my house 1-2 times a day. This will also be good for your other dog.
i'd make sure puppy and other dog are not near each other- unless you think that view of puppy will clm the other guy down.

second choice would be to leave at breeders.

third would be to take to a doggy day care- but this cn't be done until at least 2 shots nd make sure it's one who seperates dogs out and givesthem quiet time

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually the Sire is Elric. Mom is Evie. Mary Jane is expecting them to be like the older style of poodle. Not as refined as many standards are these days, heavier boned and more muscled. She said that Beverly told her that the pups practically 'walked' out of the womb, they were born so vibrant and healthy. She's going to have them temperment tested in about a month?? (I think). I can hardly wait to see and hear more about them.

And yes, Mary Jane knows so much!! I love talking with her but by the time we've come to the end of our conversations she's told me so much I can barely remember what she told me when we started talking. Truly a fount of knowledge. If one day I know a 10th of what she's forgotten about poodles I'll consider myself fortunate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually the Sire is Elric. Mom is Evie. Mary Jane is expecting them to be like the older style of poodle. Not as refined as many standards are these days, heavier boned and more muscled. She said that Beverly told her that the pups practically 'walked' out of the womb, they were born so vibrant and healthy. She's going to have them temperment tested in about a month?? (I think). I can hardly wait to see and hear more about them.

And yes, Mary Jane knows so much!! I love talking with her but by the time we've come to the end of our conversations she's told me so much I can barely remember what she told me when we started talking. Truly a fount of knowledge. If one day I know a 10th of what she's forgotten about poodles I'll consider myself fortunate.
Hmmmm....I wonder who is going to temperament test the puppies. I think it is vitally important to test litters, so the right puppy goes to the right home. You can be sure you'll get a puppy that fits into your lifestyle.
Troy has lots of substance as well. I really like his structure. If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll do it!!
Have you got a name picked out for your puppy? I spend ages thinking of names, but sometimes you just have to meet the pupppy and its name just seems to pop out at you!
Vivienne

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would not put my Poodles into a doggie daycare. I'm very particular about how my dogs interact with other dogs.

I once went to a supposed puppy socialization group held by our local Human Society. I was horrified to find that they simply turned a large group of puppies/juvenile dogs loose in a big room to run around willy-nilly with each other. It was totally overwhelming for the smaller, shy puppies and it got the bigger burlier puppies over stimulated. When some of the puppies got too rough or ganged up on another puppy, the staffers threw water on them. I KID YOU NOT!!!

If you want to bring a puppy home, work something out with a neighbor to let the puppy out and feed it mid day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I talked to my neighbors 14 year old daughter and she's going to be around during the summer when Kyle is gone. Very responsible girl, looks after the other neighbors dog frequently. I think she's now even more excited than I am about me getting a puppy. I had to warn her that I knew where she lived so if the baby disappeared I'd FIND HER. So I have my pup sitter. Yay!!!
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Vibrant, I would love to see some pics of your Troy.

Monica

1 - 19 of 19 Posts