Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds like one of those obvious answers but it's not really, not for me anyway. We've had Jasper a week now and I find it very difficult to get him to eat his food. I have to almost play tricks with him to get him to eat it. Like I'll put food out on the floor to get him to eat it. I have put his bowl in his crate and he's eaten a tiny bit like that. For the most part though he doesn't just eat on his own. I want him to maintain a healthy weight and not get too thin so I'm concerned about it. I don't really like the idea of adding canned food, we are feeding Natural Balance now and I like it a lot. How about adding some cooked hamburger once in a while to get him to eat it at his 3 times a day?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Honestly, I think adding anything is risky b/c they could become spoiled. I have a picky eater and soaking his food seem to help, but he 10 and doesn't have the healthiest teeth. When I add things to his food, he eats the treat and leaves or even spits out the kibble. I would try giving him the food and picking it up after 10 or 15 minutes. Make sure you do it several times a day, so he doesn't become hypoglycemic.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my biggest concern was the hypoglycemia. I've found that just putting a handful of food in the crate gets him to eat. I don't know if all the puppies in the litter were like this or just him but even Harry has times when he just won't eat for some odd reason. Maybe it's a poodle thing but I haven't seen a lot of overweight standards.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think you need to decide for yourself how and what you are going to feed your dog and stick to your guns. I know a lot of people who feed their dogs in their crates so it's definitely a good option if he likes to eat there. Leave the food out for 15 to 20 minutes and then pick up the bowl. If he doesn't eat, make sure you don't give him any food or treats till the next meal, no matter what.

There is nothing wrong and it's actually great to add some pure, natural protein to the kibble. It's so much better than canned and less expensive in the long run. You can add a little at each meal, every other meal or one out of three. Dogs are not cats, they will not starve themselves when there is food available, you'll see. :)

Good luck,

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I am not sure if you are on a feeding schedule but this will help. Also what HC said do not leave food on floor all day allow 10-15 mins to go by and then pick it up if he does not eat it. You can try heating the food for like 10 seconds with some water this usually helps. Enzo was the same way he would not eat all the time. So we started to heat his food with water.

You can also try nutri-cal which encourages appetite. You can get this at the pet shop http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf_id=40295&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=1C711C59AC824B7AB51DE8C672D6CA3D

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know he won't starve himself but I don't want him to get too skinny. He's my show puppy after all and if he's too thin he's going to look off. Plus like I said I worry about hypogylcemia and dogs don't know if they are feeling faint to go and eat especially when they are puppies. I think I'll just try a little natural protein mixed in the food 3 times a day.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yeah, Paris is a PICKY eater. She probably won't starve herself as long as food is around, sure, but at the same time she is actually seriously underweight if she's left to her opinion of enough! lol. She will eat, she just doens't eat a lot, nor is she enthusiastic about it, and she's scuh a high energy dog that she burns off the little that she does eat. She's a 25" spoo, and has weighed as little as 35lb. She'd be at a GOOD weight at 44lb (lean & trim, but not boney), but I haven't yet ever gotten her over 40.5lb (lean & boney, but not skinny)

So as far as I'm concerned, teaching him the right habits now (eat all the food infront of you) will be good for long term, especially as a show prospect! Ya don't need him having a skinny butt when it gets shaved down!!! heh!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy has been this way so we started adding and it gets to be insane one week will eat with meet then wont eat that Then tried low sodium soup broth worked for a week then nope food strike
I ended up stopping everything and set the bowl down if she ate great if not I lifted it till next meal and she learned to eat when I want.
I feed grain free as she eats so little i want her to get as much from it as she can.
I wouldnt worry to much right now as it will only take a few weeks tll pup learns eat when its there or its gone so he won't get to skinny.
Another thing that helps is letting them see the other dogs finish their bowl.
I better eat it or they will gets them motivated as well

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Poodles are notoriously picky eaters.
Matrix was never much interested in his food either, but when we started soaking his food in warm water for 10mins or so, he just loves it. The food doesn't turn mushy or anything either.
If he likes to eat in his crate, then start feeding him in there, just be consistent and take the food away after 15-20 minutes, play and stuff, and then return the food for 15-20 minutes again.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Kaden is picky too, the breeder feeds Eukanuba, when I first got him I was told he threw his food, I fed all my dogs Nutro at the time, I have tried Merrick( he likes it sometimes) Evo (he likes it a little) that tube o food at petsmart, and various other things, but you know what he goes nuts over
FREAKING ALPO!!!
oh yeah and that pedigree moist and meaty crap- what can I say, my dog loves some junk food, he won't eat people food, I geve him peanutbutter and he just looked at it, then at me, then at it again and walked away, he wont eat anything unless you mix crappy dog food into it.

That being said... is your puppy a standard?
chances are he won't be hypoglycemic(if he is a standard) , just give him a little nutrical a few times a day if he looks a little sluggish and stick to a feeding schedule

how old is he?

how much are you feeding him per serving, are you watching him while he eats?

I would crate him for 20 minutes with food, then let him out to potty or whatever and take the food away, dogs learn to eat on a schedule quickly.

BTW did you know that some show people "stuff" their dogs?
Like litterally push food down their throats

Id rather have a slender poodle

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Personally, I would stop trying to feed him 3 times a day ;) They need to be HUNGRY before they will eat so skip the midday meal and see if he is more willing to eat his evening meal.

What brand of food are you feeding?

My Poodles love to eat lol no picky eaters in my house :smile-big:

Oh my Poodles are free fed.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay no I didn't know that show people stuffed food down their dog's throats. That's a little odd. Not something I'd ever do ever so I'd too rather have a skinny dog or just offer a little extra to get them to eat.

I'm feeding Natural Balance the potato and duck formula. The breeder is the one that told me to feed 3x a day. When Harry was a puppy I never fed him 3x a day. I fed him 2x a day and he grew up just fine. He's on the thin side though because sometimes he will only eat once a day. When I told her I was feeding Harry once a day (he ate it all then) she freaked out and said I needed to split that up and feed him twice a day and the puppy needed to be fed 3x. I said okay but you know I've left food down for Harry and the dog has just eaten once and that's it. I started adding water to Harry's food to get him interested in eating twice a day and that helped until he'd had enough of that and then let his food sit there and absorb the water and go bad so I stopped that. With the puppy, I tried the free feeding and he'd go and eat when he felt like it but then I don't really know when he's going to need to potty. He goes potty after he eats. I'm feeding him 1 cup and Harry gets 2 cups. Maybe the 1 cup is too much but it's the minimum for his weight which was 12 pounds when I picked him up.

He was the runt of the litter and even then she worried about him eating so she'd make his mom go in there and she'd hook him up to a nipple so he'd eat and if he didn't she'd feed him a bottle. I think he'll always be the type of dog that eats only when he's hungry and just enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, one cup twice a day of high quality food sounds like a huge amount for a young puppy! Are you going by what they say on the bag, because I think they overestimate that. People are always surprised at how little dogs really need to eat. Monroe eats prolly a third to half a cup twice a day of Solid Gold Wolf King at 16 months. I supplement with 1/3 can of Evangers Duck and Sweet Potatoe.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, one cup twice a day of high quality food sounds like a huge amount for a young puppy! Are you going by what they say on the bag, because I think they overestimate that. People are always surprised at how little dogs really need to eat. Monroe eats prolly a third to half a cup twice a day of Solid Gold Wolf King at 16 months. I supplement with 1/3 can of Evangers Duck and Sweet Potatoe.
One cup total. Harry is my full grown standard poodle but the puppy gets 1 cup total and Harry gets 2 cups total.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think you should just do two meals and see how that goes.

I have noticed that when dogs are fed a high quality diet they eat less. We had some boarding dogs stay for a week and I had to buy a bag of "Retriever" brand food as the store was out of my Diamond Naturals and let me tell you what! They did not stop eating, it was like they were hungry all the time, I don't think it was just a new food thing because we have changed to other flavors of Diamond Naturals and they ate the same amount. They also crapped a lot more and more often so they were no digesting it properly.

Anyway long ramble short: Dogs will eat less on a higher quality diet.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you should just do two meals and see how that goes.

I have noticed that when dogs are fed a high quality diet they eat less. We had some boarding dogs stay for a week and I had to buy a bag of "Retriever" brand food as the store was out of my Diamond Naturals and let me tell you what! They did not stop eating, it was like they were hungry all the time, I don't think it was just a new food thing because we have changed to other flavors of Diamond Naturals and they ate the same amount. They also crapped a lot more and more often so they were no digesting it properly.

Anyway long ramble short: Dogs will eat less on a higher quality diet.
I think I just need to do what I need to do with my own puppy you know? I can't worry about pleasing the breeder if he doesn't eat 3x a day. I offered the food at a more spaced out time frame yesterday and he ate better and then this morning he ate. I'm going to space things out more and see how that goes and give him time to get hungry.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Kpoos,

Don't worry about what your breeder says, you know your baby best at this point. It is apparent that he is not interested in eating three times a day, so changing him to twice a day is right for him.

My spoos are both excellent eaters and up until they were 3 and almost 2 they ate three times a day, but then it just got sooooo old! It seems that I was constantly in the process of feeding them so we switched to twice a day and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think I just need to do what I need to do with my own puppy you know? I can't worry about pleasing the breeder if he doesn't eat 3x a day. I offered the food at a more spaced out time frame yesterday and he ate better and then this morning he ate. I'm going to space things out more and see how that goes and give him time to get hungry.
I agree! Glad to hear he is starting to eat better, breeder advice is a good thing to have but you really need to take into consideration your own dogs in your own home. He most likly ate 3 times a day when he was with the breeder but then he kind of had to fight for food being with the litter so he may still be confused on why he needs to eat so much lol.

Anyway yay for eating!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts