Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

Here are the most recent photos of the pups. I pick my boy up on April 30th! We are so excited. Some items I still need to purchase are treats, food, a pin brush (recommendations?), leash and harness (again, specific recommendations welcomed..I'm confused about what size to get). Thanks all!

Registered
Yes harness size advice! I have an easy walk size medium that I got at a great price so I could resist but I鈥檓 sure it鈥檒l be too big to start off. Anyone happen to know the chest size of a ten week old spoo puppy?

Super Moderator
I have no experience with either of the pin brushes you found. I have been pretty happy with the #1 All Systems pin brush. In my experience you want to avoid cheap plastic brushes that generate static. This brush is plastic, but it seems to have been constructed with some kind of anti-static treatment.

You will also probably want a greyhound comb. (Watch videos on line combing to see how to use a comb in conjunction with a pin or slicker brush.) I find there really is a difference between a cheap comb and a good one. I finally dropped the money on a good Chris Christensen butter comb and never bought another comb after that. Features of the worst combs I've bought:
  • Plastic pieces (made static and broke easily)
  • Poorly milled teeth (rough edges caught in hair)
  • Poor assembly (teeth fell out)
  • Ordinary steel (rusted)
I like to use a V-rake dematter in addition to a comb.

Chicken flavor toothpaste and a toothbrush. You can buy them in kits.

I used Kurgo harnesses on my guys. Galen was in a size small Tru-Fit initially. Get the regular buckles, not the extra strong ones. The regular buckles are easier to manage on a squirming puppy.

Registered
I have no experience with either of the pin brushes you found. I have been pretty happy with the #1 All Systems pin brush. In my experience you want to avoid cheap plastic brushes that generate static. This brush is plastic, but it seems to have been constructed with some kind of anti-static treatment.

You will also probably want a greyhound comb. (Watch videos on line combing to see how to use a comb in conjunction with a pin or slicker brush.) I find there really is a difference between a cheap comb and a good one. I finally dropped the money on a good Chris Christensen butter comb and never bought another comb after that. Features of the worst combs I've bought:

I used Kurgo harnesses on my guys. Galen was in a size small Tru-Fit initially. Get the regular buckles, not the extra strong ones. The regular buckles are easier to manage on a squirming puppy.

My breeder had the same recommendations. All Systems brush and best comb you can afford.
Do you use the Kurgo harness both for the car and for walking? Thanks for the advice!

Super Moderator
Do you use the Kurgo harness both for the car and for walking? Thanks for the advice!
Depending on the life stage, yes. I used a Kurgo harness to introduce all my spoos to walking on a leash. When they are babies they have no clue what a leash is. Typically they run in circles around me and hit the end of the leash hard many times. I like them to wear a harness until their necks are a bit stronger and they understand that leashes are 6 feet long. Pogo needed to graduate to an Easy Walk harness, as he was a terrible puller. I probably would have stuck with a Kurgo for him, but his harness didn't have a front clip. The new ones do. Snarky was fine with a martingale in his senior years, as is Galen now.

I used a Kurgo (a model no longer made) in the car for both Pogo and Snarky for a few years. I had a Subaru Impreza at the time. I clipped each dog to a seat belt in the back seat; they either lay down on the seat and slept or sat up to watch the scenery. I used an over-sized cat carrier for Galen, as I had sold the Subaru by the time he came along.

Registered
Depending on the life stage, yes. I used a Kurgo harness to introduce all my spoos to walking on a leash. When they are babies they have no clue what a leash is. Typically they run in circles around me and hit the end of the leash hard many times. I like them to wear a harness until their necks are a bit stronger and they understand that leashes are 6 feet long. Pogo needed to graduate to an Easy Walk harness, as he was a terrible puller. I probably would have stuck with a Kurgo for him, but his harness didn't have a front clip. The new ones do. Snarky was fine with a martingale in his senior years, as is Galen now.

I used a Kurgo (a model no longer made) in the car for both Pogo and Snarky for a few years. I had a Subaru Impreza at the time. I clipped each dog to a seat belt in the back seat; they either lay down on the seat and slept or sat up to watch the scenery. I used an over-sized cat carrier for Galen, as I had sold the Subaru by the time he came along.
Thanks. That鈥檚 very helpful!

Registered
My dogs always barf at some point. I keep underpads on hand. When my dog starts to retch, I put an underpad under him and it saves me from having to wash sheets or otherwise cleanup. Just fold up the underpad and toss it in the trash. I keep one next to the bed, one under a couch cover, etc.

Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
As I anticipate bringing my puppy home on the 16th, any suggestion on how to protect hardwood floor inside the X pen? A tarp with an old sheet over it? Thanks!
I bought an 8'x12' piece of vinyl (linoleum) and covered my floor with it. It lays flat, looks good, is waterproof, and simple to put down. You can cut it to fit with scissors. Cost $90 total. Look at the lower left corner and you'll see the edge of the vinyl where it covers the hardwood.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

This is so helpful! I had no clue about clipping the dog onto the seat belt while driving! We're a family of 5 with two car seats, so I may need to put the dog in the trunk space (volvo xc60) when we're all together.

Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
This is so helpful! I had no clue about clipping the dog onto the seat belt while driving! We're a family of 5 with two car seats, so I may need to put the dog in the trunk space (volvo xc60) when we're all together.
I would verify your car鈥檚 crumple zones before putting a pup back there.

Super Moderator
What size on the harness do you use? Will I need to get a small, then upgrade later or just go with the medium? Thanks!
I went through three sizes of both harnesses and collars. My pups outgrew the small ones quickly, within a few weeks. However, I spent the money because I wanted to get the pup used to wearing one. Having the pup used to wearing a harness seemed to help when it came time to wear other things too, like life jackets and sweaters.

Super Moderator
YMMV. I've heard some people say Kurgo doesn't fit their dog. I have used a size large on my three standards, ranging from Galen at 45 pounds to Pogo at his peak weight of 70 pounds. Spoos can be awkward to fit, due to their relatively deep but narrow chests. Some people have said they can't get the Kurgo to go around the chest while fitting properly in front. I haven't had that issue, but every dog is different.

Registered
Do you have a vet lined up?

a week before Basil came home I reached out to introduce myself, and to schedule a Appt #1. My current vet isn't taking on any new families right now... Not sure what your local situation is.

Your vet is going to be your #1 resource on health because they will be hands on versus a internet community. But, still post if your stressed out or need assurance if X is normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Do you have a vet lined up?

a week before Basil came home I reached out to introduce myself, and to schedule a Appt #1. My current vet isn't taking on any new families right now... Not sure what your local situation is.

Your vet is going to be your #1 resource on health because they will be hands on versus a internet community. But, still post if your stressed out or need assurance if X is normal.
I do not. I need to begin researching and calling around.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts