Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
459 Posts
PTP would you get the 36" x-pen again if you had a do-over, or would you get a taller one? I'm planning on getting a 36" one because I really don't want a 42" one in the living room. Space is limited as it is! It's just too tall adding to the eyesore of it all. I figure if he grows up in it, it should be easy to train him to respect it. Is it?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
PTP would you get the 36" again if you had a do-over, or would you get a taller one? I'm planning on getting a 36" one because I really don't want a 42" one in the living room. It's just too tall adding to the eyesore of it all. I figure if he grows up in it, it should be easy to train him to respect it. Is it?
I would get the exact same pen again, but would be fully prepared for the chance it might not go so smoothly. All it took to get Peggy not to jump on the sides was ignoring her if she did, then praising her and rewarding her (with either a treat or her freedom) the moment her paws hit the ground. We also spent a lot of time in there with her, feeding her kibble or treats by hand, holding a chew for her, playing with toys, or just letting her nap in our lap. And we never put her in there as punishment, or “put” her in there at all. She always had to go in freely. We made sure it was a happy place.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
This photo of my very dazed husband will always make me laugh:

Puppy life is exhausting. Lol.

Here are some pics of this same set-up as Peggy got a little older:

057D44CA-C774-419C-ADD5-11333E202BFD.jpeg

·
Registered
459 Posts
This photo of my very dazed husband will always make me laugh:

View attachment 475230

Puppy life is exhausting. Lol.

Here are some pics of this same set-up as Peggy got a little older:

View attachment 475227

View attachment 475228

View attachment 475229

View attachment 475231
Thanks very much for the feedback. That will be me in a month! When you didn't have her confined in there, did you leave the x-pen door open so she could go in on her own, and did she? How long did you use the x-pen? Assuming you don't still use the pen, did she have any issues when you got rid of it?

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Thanks very much for the feedback. That will be me in a month
! When you didn't have her confined in there, did you leave the x-pen door open so she could go in on her own, and did she? How long did you use the x-pen? Assuming you don't still use the pen, did she have any issues when you got rid of it?
That will be you! Lol! Sleep all you can until then. ;)

We left the pen door open when she wasn’t in there because her water bowl was mounted inside the crate. She generally only went in to get a drink or if she was getting a special (i.e. messy) treat that she knew she only got in her pen.

At around 15.5 months, we removed the pen and left just the crate there with her “pen bed” next to it. Shortly after that, we moved the crate into the bedroom and left just the bed in its place.

The transition wasn’t too bad, but we didn’t mess with her routine. Peggy always ate her dinner in her pen and then rested in her pen bed while we had ours. So with the pen gone, we needed to remind her that she still was expected to stay put. We started by putting a very lightweight leash on her and clipping it to her crate, and then treated her frequently throughout our meal, as long as she stayed laying down in her bed next to the crate. We very slowly reduced the frequency of the treats to one or two at the start and mid-meal, and then another right before we released her.

When the crate was moved to the bedroom, we started tucking the end of the leash under her bed, so she’d think she was tethered. Then one evening we forgot that part and she stayed put, so that’s our current routine.

The biggest challenge has been the occasional evening when we want to watch a movie and she decides it’s Peggy time. Usually she settles fine, but when she’s got those ants in her pants, we now find it’s best to send her to her crate for a snack and a snooze. We just have to say “nap” and she hustles herself in there. Like a toddler, she doesn’t always know she’s tired until she’s given no choice but to sleep. It was nice with the pen, because she could nap while still being a part of the action. But oh well. It’s a rare occasion that she’s apart from us.

P.S. @jessiemarielo, I hope this is all helpful for you, too! I don’t want to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Not a big fan of breeders who require purchase of NuVet supplement. Feed your dog a quality food and you won't need a dietary supplement (same as humans). The link that breeders provide for purchase of these supplements gives them a kick-back for every item bought through the link.

PTP, I love that set-up. It's self preservation to provide your dog a safe place to be while you can't directly supervise their activities.

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
Tip on X-pen purchase: get one with a door for easy access. You don't want to be lifting the puppy over the panels. Lifting from that angle isn't healthy for your back, and it's best not to let the pup realize over is a possibility. Mine is similar to this.

·
Registered
459 Posts

We left the pen door open when she wasn’t in there because her water bowl was mounted inside the crate. She generally only went in to get a drink or if she was getting a special (i.e. messy) treat that she knew she only got in her pen.

At around 15.5 months, we removed the pen and left just the crate there with her “pen bed” next to it. Shortly after that, we moved the crate into the bedroom and left just the bed in its place.

The transition wasn’t too bad, but we didn’t mess with her routine. Peggy always ate her dinner in her pen and then rested in her pen bed while we had ours. So with the pen gone, we needed to remind her that she still was expected to stay put. We started by putting a very lightweight leash on her and clipping it to her crate, and then treated her frequently throughout our meal, as long as she stayed laying down in her bed next to the crate. We very slowly reduced the frequency of the treats to one or two at the start and mid-meal, and then another right before we released her.

When the crate was moved to the bedroom, we started tucking the end of the leash under her bed, so she’d think she was tethered. Then one evening we forgot that part and she stayed put, so that’s our current routine.

The biggest challenge has been the occasional evening when we want to watch a movie and she decides it’s Peggy time. Usually she settles fine, but when she’s got those ants in her pants, we now find it’s best to send her to her crate for a snack and a snooze. We just have to say “nap” and she hustles herself in there. Like a toddler, she doesn’t always know she’s tired until she’s given no choice but to sleep. It was nice with the pen, because she could nap while still being a part of the action. But oh well. It’s a rare occasion that she’s apart from us.

P.S. @jessiemarielo, I hope this is all helpful for you, too! I don’t want to hijack your thread.
We left the pen door open when she wasn’t in there

The transition wasn’t too bad
Thank you. I'm sure @jessiemarielo won't mind as it's all the same subject, so not really a hijack! We all (poodle owners to be) have many of the same questions. BTW @jessiemarielo, thanks for asking these questions. I'm getting my spoo in just over 3 weeks! I definitely second the book recommendation!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

I just read your message and yes, it is very helpful. I plan to follow the same process. I actually have a 3 and 4 year old so I'm used to putting kiddos to nap! haha
I actually ordered both the 48" crate and 36" pen last night. Thank you so much for the pictures and the breakdown of how you handled everything. I wasn't too fond of having a pen and crate in my home and last week I would've laughed at the idea of having that in my living space. Yesterday, I went my a family member's house to drop off a birthday gift and their puppy was a hot mess, bolting out the front door and up the street, running in circles and into neighbor's driveways. Seeing this first hand just made me realize the importance of both the pen and the crate AND honestly, a year or a bit longer is a small sacrifice to pay of having those items in the home but a larger reward of a happy, trained dog that knows it's boundaries.

So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I think without posting this thread I would of never considered or knew about how important both the crate and the pen would be! Now they are ordered and I'm a little step closer to being ready for my pup :)

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Tip on X-pen purchase: get one with a door for easy access. You don't want to be lifting the puppy over the panels. Lifting from that angle isn't healthy for your back, and it's best not to let the pup realize over is a possibility. Mine is similar to this.

Agreed. The Frisco pen I linked has a door, but you do have to step over an elevated threshold.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
I just read your message and yes, it is very helpful. I plan to follow the same process. I actually have a 3 and 4 year old so I'm used to putting kiddos to nap! haha
I actually ordered both the 48" crate and 36" pen last night. Thank you so much for the pictures and the breakdown of how you handled everything. I wasn't too fond of having a pen and crate in my home and last week I would've laughed at the idea of having that in my living space. Yesterday, I went my a family member's house to drop off a birthday gift and their puppy was a hot mess, bolting out the front door and up the street, running in circles and into neighbor's driveways. Seeing this first hand just made me realize the importance of both the pen and the crate AND honestly, a year or a bit longer is a small sacrifice to pay of having those items in the home but a larger reward of a happy, trained dog that knows it's boundaries.

So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I think without posting this thread I would of never considered or knew about how important both the crate and the pen would be! Now they are ordered and I'm a little step closer to being ready for my pup :)
This makes me so happy! Not only will it give you some much needed breaks from watching your puppy, it will set them up for success. So much easier to prevent these behaviors altogether if puppy never has a chance to bolt out the front door, destroy your favourite shoes, etc.

We gave Peggy loads of things to destroy in her pen, to satisfy her urge to chew a variety or textures. The only rule was that she could only destroy them in her pen. This a) made it clear what she was allowed to chew and b) contained the mess! Cardboard was a favourite. Just have to make sure your puppy isn’t interested in eating whatever you give them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not a big fan of breeders who require purchase of NuVet supplement. Feed your dog a quality food and you won't need a dietary supplement (same as humans). The link that breeders provide for purchase of these supplements gives them a kick-back for every item bought through the link.

PTP, I love that set-up. It's self preservation to provide your dog a safe place to be while you can't directly supervise their activities.
Can you recommend a good quality food? Also, should I start out with the Costco brand the breeder is using then transition to a new food little by little?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can you recommend a good quality food? Also, should I start out with the Costco brand the breeder is using then transition to a new food little by little?
Kirkland is a pretty decent food for the price, from what I've heard, so if you want to keep with it, you should be fine.

I've fed a lot of different foods to a lot of different dogs over the years, and we seem to keep coming back to Purina Pro Plan.

And NuVet is a multi-level marketing scheme. You buy the stuff from the breeder, and they get a commission for it. A lot of breeders involved in it require that you purchase if through them and give it to your dog, and not doing so voids any health guarantee they offer (nifty little way of getting out of holding up their end of the agreement, if you ask me). It's usually enough to make me skeptical of their breeding practices.

·
Registered
31 Posts
And NuVet is a multi-level marketing scheme. You buy the stuff from the breeder, and they get a commission for it. A lot of breeders involved in it require that you purchase if through them and give it to your dog, and not doing so voids any health guarantee they offer (nifty little way of getting out of holding up their end of the agreement, if you ask me). It's usually enough to make me skeptical of their breeding practices.
WOOWWWWW. I had no idea about this, thank you for sharing this info - that is sketchy FOR SURE. Even without the health guarantee voiding, not mentioning they get a commission while telling new dog owners it’s vital for their dog’s health is absolutely suss. 😒

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I anticipate bringing my puppy home on the 16th, any suggestion on how to protect hardwood floor inside the X pen? A tarp with an old sheet over it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
As I anticipate bringing my puppy home on the 16th, any suggestion on how to protect hardwood floor inside the X pen? A tarp with an old sheet over it? Thanks!
I would use a tarp for sure and then some sort of grippy floor to help growing puppy joints. An old sheet is just a toy to rip up. A large hard rubber mat is an option. I used rubber garage floor tiles purchased from Home Depot. I put a layer of pee pads underneath the tiles which is very helpful if you have a late bloomer for potty training.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My vet had a "puppy package" with her vaccines that included two nail clippings. It's something you could learn to do at home. A $30-40 dremel on Amazon will pay for itself after 2 attempts versus paying $15-20 a visit, if that's an incentive. Granted, you will have to desensitize the puppy to the sound and vibrations.

Basil lays on the edge of my bed, and I sit on a footstool and make them short, nice and smooth. The process wasn't always pretty. She would resist the vibrations, but she's a good girl now at 11 months. I can recheck my work by using my cell light under her nail to see where the quick is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My vet had a "puppy package" with her vaccines that included two nail clippings. It's something you could learn to do at home. A $30-40 dremel on Amazon will pay for itself after 2 attempts versus paying $15-20 a visit, if that's an incentive. Granted, you will have to desensitize the puppy to the sound and vibrations.

Basil lays on the edge of my bed, and I sit on a footstool and make them short, nice and smooth. The process wasn't always pretty. She would resist the vibrations, but she's a good girl now at 11 months. I can recheck my work by using my cell light under her nail to see where the quick is.
This is exactly what I need, exact details of items to purchase. I will definitely be doing them myself. Thank you!
**adds to cart 🛒

Any specific recommendations on a brush? I found some with good reviews but they are unavailable on Amazon!

21 - 40 of 83 Posts