Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am so excited, my Standard Poodle was born and I get to pick him up in 6 more weeks. I need to start purchasing some items. The breeder recommended these items:
  • Brush
  • Kennel - size medium or a large that can be adjusted to a smaller size while potty training
  • Leash
  • Harness - I prefer a figure eight harness by “Size Right!” - size small - 5/8'' width, 18 to 24 inch girth. You can order it through Amazon.com. Keep in mind you should never leave your puppy in a harness if you are unable to watch him.
  • Food - Your puppy has been eating Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice dog food. (Costco brand - Lamb and Rice formula)
  • NuVet Plus Supplement -
  • Nature's Miracle Pet Cleaner and Clorox Anywhere Hard Surface spray

I would like to know if anyone has specific suggestions on:
  1. Brush - what kind, a link please. I've researched and found so many, I guess it depends on the coat. Whats a good starter and do I need a spray too?
  2. Kennel - this is what I am getting, thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AT3M4/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  3. I am going with the figure eight harness that was recommended. My husband said we may need a training collar later but I oppose of this! He raised Akitas his whole life.
  4. Toys- any toy recommendations or types would be nice.
  5. Treats for puppies and puppy training, I need suggestions here.
I appreciate any and all the help I can get. I will also be purchasing the obvious stuff such as bowls, potty pads, wipes, etc. Thank you and here are some pictures of the liter for you to enjoy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had a slicker brush which our spoo puppy hated and on the recommendation B of this group got a pin brush instead. It works fine in the floofy puppy hair (our guy doesn’t tangle at all so I’ve used no sprays—-we’ve already done 3 baths though.... puppies can get really gross and wipes don’t cut it!)

The 36” crate should last a little while but at 3.5 months, mine already hits the top of the crate sitting down. I’m still using the divider but probably won’t need it much longer. We have a 24” in our room for sleeping with no divider now at his age. He is soooo long. I’m sure we’ll need the even bigger crate soon enough.

We got a Ruffwear harness that has a front clip and rear clip. The front clip is good for not pulling. I like it but it’s a pain to get on with the mouthing puppies do! Agree on the tension collars.

Skip the potty pads unless you want them to pee in the house.

a flat buckle collar
My spoo loves the squirrel log soft toy, the lambie soft toy and those tug soft toys with squeakers but no stuffing.
Multipet Lamb Chop Classic Plush Toy (3 Sizes) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00X3C1OXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TXB8VT01RDVMJKTV6WEA
Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy - Hide and Seek Activity for Dogs https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005VS9WO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FVWF9XFE7G4NT3ZBQ2GH
ZippyPaws - Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toy, Fox, Raccoon, and Squirrel - Large https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00P0YQYYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KJYM7PMJV1KFKE3VQ606 (he has successfully accessed the squeakers so these don’t last but They’re by far his favorite)
Lickimats
Puzzle feeder
Kongs

I like the freeze dried liver treats, the blue bits and anything you can make into small pieces. Some people like Zukes but my pup didn’t care for them. He eats leaves so his standards are quite low. You can also use kibble for low value.

I’m still researching food options so won’t comment there. You’ll need to at least start on what he’s eating now. Congratulations!!

(picture description: pup in 36” crate at 14 weeks hitting the top!)

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
I would size up to a 42" kennel. My boy outgrew his 36" when he was around 6 months old. Poodles have surprisingly long legs, so you can't really go by weight.

I agree with you; no choke chains or prong collars on a puppy, and I would avoid using one on an adult. Poodles tend to be both sensitive and eager to please once they get out adolescence. (Puppyhood will bring tantrums and testing, as with any youngster.) It's a much different personality type than an Akita or or a Shepherd. Bullying a poodle tends to just get you an unhappy shut down poodle.

If you haven't yet, get a copy of Ian Dunbar's "Before and After You Get Your Puppy." He has lots of useful information to get you through the first few months of puppyhood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a slicker brush which our spoo puppy hated and on the recommendation B of this group got a pin brush instead. It works fine in the floofy puppy hair (our guy doesn’t tangle at all so I’ve used no sprays—-we’ve already done 3 baths though.... puppies can get really gross and wipes don’t cut it!)

The 36” crate should last a little while but at 3.5 months, mine already hits the top of the crate sitting down. I’m still using the divider but probably won’t need it much longer. We have a 24” in our room for sleeping with no divider now at his age. He is soooo long. I’m sure we’ll need the even bigger crate soon enough.

We got a Ruffwear harness that has a front clip and rear clip. The front clip is good for not pulling. I like it but it’s a pain to get on with the mouthing puppies do! Agree on the tension collars.

a flat buckle collar
My spoo loves the squirrel log soft toy, the lambie soft toy and those tug soft toys with squeakers but no stuffing.
Multipet Lamb Chop Classic Plush Toy (3 Sizes) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00X3C1OXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TXB8VT01RDVMJKTV6WEA
Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy - Hide and Seek Activity for Dogs https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005VS9WO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FVWF9XFE7G4NT3ZBQ2GH
ZippyPaws - Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toy, Fox, Raccoon, and Squirrel - Large https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00P0YQYYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KJYM7PMJV1KFKE3VQ606 (he has successfully accessed the squeakers so these don’t last but They’re by far his favorite)
Lickimats
Puzzle feeder
Kongs

I like the freeze dried liver treats, the blue bits and anything you can make into small pieces. Some people like Zukes but my pup didn’t care for them. He eats leaves so his standards are quite low. You can also use kibble for low value.

I’m still researching food options so won’t comment there. You’ll need to at least start on what he’s eating now. Congratulations!!

(picture description: pup in 36” crate at 14 weeks hitting the top!) View attachment 475213
Wow, this is great information, thank you so much. Your
I would size up to a 42" kennel. My boy outgrew his 36" when he was around 6 months old. Poodles have surprisingly long legs, so you can't really go by weight.

I agree with you; no choke chains or prong collars on a puppy, and I would avoid using one on an adult. Poodles tend to be both sensitive and eager to please once they get out adolescence. (Puppyhood will bring tantrums and testing, as with any youngster.) It's a much different personality type than an Akita or or a Shepherd. Bullying a poodle tends to just get you an unhappy shut down poodle.

If you haven't yet, get a copy of Ian Dunbar's "Before and After You Get Your Puppy." He has lots of useful information to get you through the first few months of puppyhood.
Thank you so much for this great information and recommendations. I'll go with the larger crate and look for a brush with pins.

When I first met my husband he had an Akita who was so aggressive, he bit my cousin near her eye when she pet him and he only respected my husband. I had to make him give his dog to his sister because he would trap my 5-year-old son against the wall if we left them alone in the same room :confused:

I did so much research on dogs and decided on a Poodle a few years ago but was waiting for a good time for my family to get one, when we were ready to dedicate ourselves. Luckily, my husband has lots of training experience but unfortunately he is used to training more aggressive dogs. He wants a German Shepherd in a few years, but the Poodle is mine and I'm in charge of taking care of him and training him :).

Going to order the book as well, thank you so much for the recommendations!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

a flat buckle collar
Multipet Lamb Chop Classic Plush Toy (3 Sizes) Amazon.com: Multipet Lamb Chop Classic Plush Toy (4 Sizes) (LG- 11" for Medium Dogs): Pet Supplies
ZippyPaws - Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toy, Fox, Raccoon, and Squirrel - Large Pet Supplies : ZippyPaws - Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toy, Fox, Raccoon, and Squirrel - Large : Amazon.com (he has successfully accessed the squeakers so these don’t last but They’re by far his favorite)
Lickimats
Puzzle feeder
Kongs

(picture description: pup in 36” crate at 14 weeks hitting the top!) View attachment 475213
By the way, Goldie is beautiful!

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Depending on how your husband learned to train, he might need to revamp his style. Just a different dog personality. It's kind of like how a high school teacher might need to approach the theater kids a bit differently than the football players.

Something also to be aware of is that poodles are both bouncy and mouthy. They were originally bred to run through marshes, jumping up to get a better view over the grasses, and retrieve waterfowl. Their instincts, therefore, are to playfully jump and grab onto things. Some people mistake this mouthing for aggression. It's not, but it can nevertheless be a problem. Ian Dunbar gets a lot of recommendations here because he addresses puppy mouthing in helpful detail.

Two more recommendations. You will almost definitely want an exercise pen. I use a Toddleroo play yard intended for small children. You may also want baby gates.

·
Registered
758 Posts
We used zukes training treats. Be aware that glycerine can make their poopy super soft or cause diarrhea. So, keep an eye on the ingredient.

Basil's a year old and we use a combination of the zukes and amazon wag training treats.

It's a pain in the butt to cut big treats into smaller pieces for training, but you can.

You want to be somewhat aware to limit salty treats like jerky because it will mess with their water & pee regulation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on how your husband learned to train, he might need to revamp his style. Just a different dog personality. It's kind of like how a high school teacher might need to approach the theater kids a bit differently than the football players.

Something also to be aware of is that poodles are both bouncy and mouthy. They were originally bred to run through marshes, jumping up to get a better view over the grasses, and retrieve waterfowl. Their instincts, therefore, are to playfully jump and grab onto things. Some people mistake this mouthing for aggression. It's not, but it can nevertheless be a problem. Ian Dunbar gets a lot of recommendations here because he addresses puppy mouthing in helpful detail.

Two more recommendations. You will almost definitely want an exercise pen. I use a Toddleroo play yard intended for small children. You may also want baby gates.
Funny analogy because I was a student of the arts, media, theater and my husband a football player 🤣 I found the book at my local library and I'm picking it up later today. Do you keep the pen inside or out? I'm not sure I have indoor space for that 🤔

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Funny analogy because I was a student of the arts, media, theater and my husband a football player 🤣 I found the nook at my local library and I'm picking it up later today. Do you keep the pen inside out out? I'm not sure I have indoor space for that 🤔
It's inside. The basic idea is to give the puppy a bit more space than a crate while preventing him from peeing behind the sofa or chewing the stereo cables.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks! he’s actually “Ranger”... I was a Golden mom before switching to poodles!! 😂
It's inside. The basic idea is to give the puppy a bit more space than a crate while preventing him from peeing behind the sofa or chewing the stereo cables.
we use ours outside, too, as the mouthy puppy phase isn’t fun for our kids when they’re playing but puppy wants to be outside with us. Also means he eats fewer rocks, leaves and sticks! lol We struggled with it indoors as it became an indoor bathroom so we put it away for a little while and only use it outside.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,814 Posts
If you can, I’d encourage your husband to read the book, too. It’s important to get your whole household on the same page when raising such a sensitive, intelligent breed. If you can attend puppy classes together, even better!

This not only helped us raise Peggy properly, it significantly reduced marital tensions! Lol. It’s no fun having to constantly nag your spouse to do this with the puppy, and don’t do that, and on it goes. You’re annoyed, your spouse is annoyed, and the poodle ends up just plain confused (or worse).

I also strongly encourage you to make space for an indoor exercise pen. It was a game changer for us. We ended up using it for all of Peggy’s first year. She learned to be very comfortable in there, and was in it pretty much whenever we couldn’t keep our eyes on her. It sets great, clear boundaries, and reduces stress for humans and poodles.

We used Frisco brand (from Chewy) for both her crate and pen. By 8 months, Peggy needed a 48” crate to sleep comfortably through the night.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Treats for puppies and puppy training, I need suggestions here.
Soft, simple treats are best, and I recommend writing down whatever your pup eats in case you need to connect the dots between food sensitivities and triggers.

Boil up a bunch of chicken breasts, chop into kernel-sized pieces, freeze in a single layer and then toss into a freezer bag. Or you can try low-fat string cheese, which is Peggy’s favorite. It’s easy to break into small pieces, and doesn’t make a mess in pockets. You can also hold the whole thing and let your puppy kibble when being exposed to something particularly scary or exciting for the first time.

At home we use mostly kibble as training treats. Just make sure your puppy has water available 24/7.

For meal kibble, we feed Farmina Ancestral Grains. And for training/random rewards, we feed Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters.

For teething, puppy Kongs (especially the tire shape) are great. You can stuff and freeze them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can, I’d encourage your husband to read the book, too. It’s important to get your whole household on the same page when raising such a sensitive, intelligent breed. If you can attend puppy classes together, even better!

This not only helped us raise Peggy properly, it significantly reduced marital tensions! Lol. It’s no fun having to constantly nag your spouse to do this with the puppy, and don’t do that, and on it goes. You’re annoyed, your spouse is annoyed, and the poodle ends up just plain confused (or worse).

I also strongly encourage you to make space for an indoor exercise pen. It was a game changer for us. We ended up using it for all of Peggy’s first year. She learned to be very comfortable in there, and was in it pretty much whenever we couldn’t keep our eyes on her. It sets great, clear boundaries, and reduces stress for humans and poodles.

We used Frisco brand (from Chewy) for both her crate and pen. By 8 months, Peggy needed a 48” crate to sleep comfortably through the night.
That makes a lot of sense. Great tips. Looking into the pen now and I will get the hubby on board!

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. Great tips. Looking into the pen now and I will get the hubby on board!
Here’s Peggy’s old puppy setup. The crate was covered by a thin black blanket at night and during nap times, open only on the couch or wall side for air flow:

I was relieved when we were able to dismantle it and reclaim our living space, but I have no regrets about using it and will use it again for future puppies, God willing. :) We also occasionally moved it to different locations, to accommodate our Christmas tree, visiting guests, etc. My only rule was that it had to stay in a central location.

Now Peggy’s crate is in the bedroom, which I highly recommend. Otherwise you won’t know until it’s (way) too late if your poodle has digestive upset and urgently needs a late-night or early morning poo. Traumatic for all.

We keep a water dish mounted on the inside of the crate for 24/7 access.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here’s Peggy’s old puppy setup. The crate was covered by a thin black blanket at night and during nap times, open only on the couch or wall side for air flow:

View attachment 475219

I was relieved when we were able to dismantle it and reclaim our living space, but I have no regrets about using it and will use it again for future puppies, God willing. :) We also occasionally moved it to different locations, to accommodate our Christmas tree, visiting guests, etc. My only rule was that it had to stay in a central location.

Now Peggy’s crate is in the bedroom, which I highly recommend. Otherwise you won’t know until it’s (way) too late if your poodle has digestive upset and urgently needs a late-night or early morning poo. Traumatic for all.

We keep a water dish mounted on the inside of the crate for 24/7 access.
Wow, I love this. It isn't as big as I had pictured and that's a great idea to dismantle it when needed such as having guests over. Do you recall the brand of crate and pen? I love how it all flows together.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Wow, I love this. It isn't as big as I had pictured and that's a great idea to dismantle it when needed such as having guests over. Do you recall the brand of crate and pen? I love how it all flows together.
Yep, all Frisco! That’s the 36” crate, which belonged to my mini. Peggy grew out of it super fast so we upgraded to 48”. Technically she still fit, but she started having restless nights because she’d hit the sides trying to get comfortable.

The pen is the 36” version, which means we had to teach Peggy to respect it. She easily could have gone up and over.

FRISCO Heavy Duty Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate, 36 inch - Chewy.com

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
(We replaced the pan in the crate with a homemade plywood version. It was so stinky, like plastic/chemicals. I wish they’d sell metal trays as standard like they used to.)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts