Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't taken Jackson to a groomer yet and I believe he's only been twice in his whole life (10 months). I've gotten him used to a good comb, the dremel for his nails and the toothbrush. I snip the hair around his head and face every day to get him used to it.

So this morning I thought I would see how he takes a dryer. Well, he just hated it (and I only blew his back). Now he won't come to me if he sees the dryer...even though Hoot loves the dryer and comes running every time he hears it come on (weird little poochie loves to have hot air blown into his face - he has to have a blast every time I dry my hair!).

This was only about 15 seconds of blowing with my hand held human-hair dryer. I even offered him delicious bits of prime rib and he would not enter the room where he knew the dryer was. I hope it won't be too traumatic for him with a high power grooming dryer.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I guess the way I'd do things is short time periods and just be very matter of fact about it. If a dog senses you are worried about it they will be too. So if you give off the cues that this is no big deal then he'll eventually just learn it's no big deal.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oh I guess it's really LOUD to a dog since their hearing is so much better than ours.
Yeah, there's a lot of things about the dryer that bothers dogs; the noise, the pressure, having wind pass over their ear canal, nose, and eyes (think of being somewhere super windy.) If you have a snood (I think that's what they're called?) that could work. I don't know how thick the happy hoodies are, because the towels can fall off.

You can also try counter conditioning. If he's food motivated, you can have the dryer near him (off) and give him treats while moving it nearer and nearer to him. Once he's comfortable with it being off near him, turn it on (far away again) and have him focused on the treats, then having the dryer come nearer and nearer. Be absolutely calm while trying it, if he senses your tension, he may get nervous too.

I've never tried this with dryers, only seen it done for nails on a video. I'm not a professional trainer.. so don't quote me on any of this! Just get him used to it enough to where he doesn't attack it like some dogs do when they come into the salon for a bath.. that's scary. xP

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, there's a lot of things about the dryer that bothers dogs; the noise, the pressure, having wind pass over their ear canal, nose, and eyes (think of being somewhere super windy.) Just get him used to it enough to where he doesn't attack it like some dogs do when they come into the salon for a bath.. that's scary. xP
Yes Ma'am!

·
Registered
708 Posts
My girl has had a drier on her countless times and still isn't crazy about it. She will stand for the dryer but is very uncomfortable if I turn it on while she is lying on the table. I put treats on the table, but you will probably find that if they are stressed enough the treats don't phase them. One step at a time is the best way I think. Do a little each day. Maybe turn the drier on for a while when he is in the room just so he can get used to the noise. Let him smell it before you turn it on. Start with his feet or his rear maybe?

I wouldn't force it too much for the first few days, but once he has had ample time to accomodate himself to the noise you may just have to make him stand there for a while. Desensitize him in a way.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the really tasty treats are not even tempting to him if it's on. We'll go slow. Today I took it along with meat treats into the room he wouldn't come out of. He wasn't happy but reached out his neck to get the treat. The little devil is amazingly smart. He was doing just fine. I had coaxed him back into the kitchen. He was okay until I plugged it in...out the door he ran. I didn't even have it on! I unplugged it, showed it to him and he came back in.

Right now I'm just trying to make it a happy fun thing to have around. This is the first thing that Hoot is all for that Jackson doesn't want to be involved with.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hair Dryer Success!

Good thing I live alone. Every day when I come home we've been having a hair dryer party. I turn it on, dance around, blast everybody's back, dance and laugh some more, blast their butts, scratch their butts, dance again. And delicious treats are sometimes involved. Jackson is still a little confused but he likes the party. I haven't blasted his face yet but I have done his chest and he no longer runs away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts