Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vets have asked for a urine sample from Poppy towards the end of this round of antibiotics. The clearance from the ground when she squats is barely an inch, and the space between her ankles perhaps three inches. I am considering fitting a polythene bag onto a wire oval attached to a pole to slip underneath her - anyone got a better idea?!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like that idea, like using a small gold fish net type of contraption without the net.

Just thinking of an idea outside the box... Slide a clean kitchen sponge under her. Then squeeze the soaked sponge into a pee cup container or zip lock or whatever they have for you.

(Shrug)

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
A Soup Ladle or
A small cut down plastic container and scoot it under squatting dog
Fun catching urine experience speaking, soup ladle didn't work on Flower but did on her sister Capp, low container worked on Bea and Flower.
Yes Dogs give you dirty looks when you do this, like how dare you
Oh have a covered container to pour results in
Edit: you have to quick other wise you have a dog that is unhappy about peeing being disturbed with repeated attempts

·
Registered
17 Posts
When we needed a urine sample for our chihuahua's, they were trained to use puppy pads as well as go outside. We would put saran wrap over the puppy pad and then when they had urinated, we would pour the urine into the sample collector.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I also use a ladle, pressed hard against the ground to slip under her. Could a saucer or jar/bottle lid work? Even better if attached to a pole.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
With my 4 pound chihuahua I just slid a small plastic container under her while she was squatting. It always worked.

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right - time to look for very shallow containers, I think. I will let you know how I get on - it may be an interesting day...!

Reactions: Dechi and Liz

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Patience and speed my friend
Bea was easier to get a sample from because she always has to wee after a car ride

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I needed to get a sample from my 5-month old mini pup, the vet gave me plastic tray that holds vaccine bottles - it has little compartments like a small mini ice cube tray. They also gave me a glove and a plastic dropper with a stopper. I took my pup to his usual pee place, then looked like an idiot for a few minutes with trying to get the plastic tray at the right spot under him. I was able to collect quite a bit and use the dropper to draw it up, stop it up and take it to the vet. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a bottle and plastic pipette, so that bit's OK. I think I may start experimenting today to be sure of success tomorrow...

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
487 Posts
let us know how it goes :)

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ta da! Instant success with this amazingly engineered prototype (patent pending)! A bit of soft wire from the garden, a length of wood I found in the cloakroom, and a small polythene sandwich bag, all reinforced with sellotape. I gave Poppy extra water in her lunch and waited till she needed to go out, having put the lead and everything ready, and it was all sorted in five minutes.

The two ends of the wire loop are wrapped around the stick, and taped. Bag edges go over the loop, pulled tight, and clipped or taped at the stick so the weight of the pee doesn't pull it off. Because the loop is oval it slipped easily between her legs, and the wire made it easy to adjust the angle - Poppy was completely unaware of it. If necessary you could snip a corner of the bag to fill the specimen bottle, but fortunately I had a suitable pipette!
IMG_0477.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is definitely not a thing of beauty, Dechi, but has joined the collection of Heath Robinson inventions that actually work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The vets have asked for a urine sample from Poppy towards the end of this round of antibiotics. The clearance from the ground when she squats is barely an inch, and the space between her ankles perhaps three inches. I am considering fitting a polythene bag onto a wire oval attached to a pole to slip underneath her - anyone got a better idea?!
When i had to do this for my puppy... i slid a disposable tin pie pan under her when she got ready to pee. Then afterwards you can bend the pliable aluminum pie pan to make like a funnel to put the pee in a jar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts