Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. This is kind of a hybrid post between Grooming, Questions and Photos...

For quite a while I've been thinking of talking to my groomer about Zael potentially having the German Clip in the future.
Trouble is, every time I go to look at photos of what I'd like (so that I can better describe what I want) I can never find an animal without a docked tail, which kind of bums me out.

My boys tail was not docked as where I live it's kind of frowned upon to do so without a very good reason (health, injury, work, etc). So does anyone here have any photos of a standard poodle in a German clip with a long tail? Could you show me?

And if not... any ideas for what could be done with his tail if I was to go ahead blindly, do you think a big plume would work or something else?

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I owned my first poodle Kona she did not have a docked tail.
I did something similar to a german except that the tail was feathered I think that is what you would call it.
I am sorry that I do not have photos.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I’m particularly fond of the German clip...it’s such a stylish clip for an active dog.

If I were you, I would leave the tail plume and see how you like it.

Personally I think a neat, closely trimmed tail suits the German since everything else is clipped close, or fairly close which would mean the plumed tail stands out as different. However it’s easy to cut hair and takes a while to grow back. If it were my dog I would leave the plume and reassess whether or not to clip after seeing the my dog clipped down.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Tonka, undocked, is in a German all the time now.

But I've never told a groomer what to do with his tail. I leave it up to them. So it always comes out feathery. And I don't really care...

OTOH, the last time she gave his TK a wicked forward slant. He didn't just look like a Cherman... he looked like a Nazi! - hahaha -

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll ask my groomer what she'd like to do with his tail... though maybe throw in a few hints that I'm not prepared for my dogs lovely plume to be totally obliterated just yet.

Countryboy: -
Heh, that got a laugh out of me. I'm kind of wanting my dog to look a lot more masculine and sinister... but maybe not THAT extreme.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Mysticrealm -
Oh my gosh, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I love the look of the close trimmed tails on those dogs, with or without the long tail. I personally prefer the close trimmed over shaved. I'd take the plunge if it were me!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll ask my groomer what she'd like to do with his tail... though maybe throw in a few hints that I'm not prepared for my dogs lovely plume to be totally obliterated just yet.

Countryboy: -
Heh, that got a laugh out of me. I'm kind of wanting my dog to look a lot more masculine and sinister... but maybe not THAT extreme.
I keep our Standard short clipped as he goes wading in the river every day, and then picks up at least a pound of sand on the beach to drizzle all over the truck and house afterwards. I do love his huge plume of a tail. Docking is banned in most parts of Canada. So glad Charlie 's tail is natural, everyone admires it.Here he is standing beside one of his people checking out the scenery

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts