Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I had the most adorable little foster boy at my house that was a marking and humping maniac...George. He eventually got over that and hadn't had any 'accidents' in my house for weeks before he got adopted by a wonderful lady with a 4-year-old standard girl (George is a 12", 9 pound mini).

Well, it seems that George has taken to pooping in her living room. He has a doggie door, knows how to use it and apparently never pees or marks in the house. He will run outside with his big sister when she gets home from work and then come back in and go right into the living room. Or run into the living room for a quick one before running outside to pee!

Right now I can only suggest closing off access to that room (which is what she will be doing) but is there any thing else that she can try? I understand that it is terribly annoying to have tacky looking barriers all around your house (she has a beautiful home).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
George is being mischievous for sure. I think what you suggested is key - or she wont have such a lovely house later.

The other thing I would add, is leashing during potty visits - even when coming back in, this way if George attempts it she can direct him outside until he does his business, and have some high value treats right after.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am fostering a little dog right now that is the same as George. I have a very weathy,older lady coming tomorrow to meet my dog....and she wants a dog that is housebroken.

People like us are so accomodating to these type dogs and other people expect perfection. I am my dogs 3rd home in 8 months. I basically have her housebroken but I bet she will have accidents at another persons house and if they don't leash/crate her, theynwill be calling me to complain about her.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, she loves him and wouldn't for a moment reconsider his adoption. I think she just needs some new techniques. She actually has been pretty patient with him. I'm going to suggest more leashing and high value treats for good behaviour. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's not uncommon for a dog who's housetrained in one residence to have "accidents" in another residence, as they don't generalize well. It's the new owner's job to teach boundaries and house manners, and in this case, she needs to go back to housetraining 101, to reinforce no going inside the house. I'm sure this little guy will quickly catch on, because, after all, he's a Poodle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts