Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you allow it?

I've had my hands in enough standard poodle mouths to know that they (like GSDs) absolutely love to interact with us this way. I call it the poodle handshake.

For a while I took a zero tolerance approach with Peggy. But I've recently noticed this behaviour creeping back in, in such a careful, endearing way that we've started to let it slide.

Wondering where you all stand on this: Do you have a no-poodle-teeth-on-human-skin-EVER rule? Do you allow it occasionally? Does it not concern you at all?

I do think it's undesirable in interactions with strangers. Peggy seems to save it for family, but I suppose she might slip one day, especially if we let it continue.

Note: This is NOT to be confused with nipping. Whether on skin or clothes, nipping is a no-no.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think it’s all right, so long as you can tell her to stop when you want her to, it doesn’t progress into harder biting, and it’s clear that it’s a you-and-her thing only.

Neither of my dogs really play bite me, but Fluffy likes to, once in a blue moon, hold a few of my fingers in his mouth and... suck on them(?) (Does anyone else have a poodle that does this?) especially when either he or I are nervous. He doesn’t really do it to anyone else, though, and he’s not very big/has great bite control, so I’m not too concerned about it.

Ankle nipping, like he did as a puppy, however, is strictly off limits for him. Boy, that was an ouchy time.

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluffy likes to, once in a blue moon, hold a few of my fingers in his mouth and... suck on them(?) (Does anyone else have a poodle that does this?) especially when either he or I are nervous.
Oh my goodness that is cute!! I wonder if it's a suckling thing? Was he taken early from his mama? I knew an orphaned cat that suckled blanket tassels his whole life.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
Neither Pogo nor Snarky had any interest in mouthing humans once they got past their teething stage. One of my friends, though, had a spoo which just wanted to hold your hand. He was very careful about it. On more than one occasion I would feel the bristles of his snout brush lightly against my palm or fingers. Then he would proceed to gently engulf my entire hand. If I needed to do something he would walk along side, still delicately holding my hand between his jaws.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I only allow Misha to mouth when I specifically invite that game. Typically it's when he's laying on the couch and feeling lazy but also playful. I tap his lips, stick my fingers in his mouth, and do alligator snappy hands at him. And he pretends to try to grab my hand when I do. But never any real pressure. He gets that it's just play. Any mouthing outside of that isn't allowed. I'm hoping he'll get that it's only okay if a person invites him to play that game.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Both my boys very mouthy to handy but only when they're waking me up. Neo is the back of the hand nibbler and Remo also does that suckling like thing. He grabs a finger or two with his paws and draws them into his mouth, just a bit, mouths around them for another bit then lets go to start again.

They've never shown the least interest in doing these things to anyone else.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Is this more of a standard poodle thing? Just curious, my previous poodle was a tiny toy and she never mouthed, but she was also super tiny and was a little over one pound when she was grown. so maybe it was just she couldn't fit our hands or fingers, lol. Her thing was she'd curl up on our shoulders when we were sitting in chairs or on the couch. she liked her face next to our face. our new girl is a smaller toy, so I'm just curious if anyone has a tpoo that does this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Groot is pretty mouthy but I don’t mind it since he is very gentle and only does it with people he knows well if they’re being playful with him. If he didn’t seem to understand the context in which the behavior is appropriate, I probably would have discouraged it.

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this more of a standard poodle thing? Just curious, my previous poodle was a tiny toy and she never mouthed, but she was also super tiny and was a little over one pound when she was grown. so maybe it was just she couldn't fit our hands or fingers, lol. Her thing was she'd curl up on our shoulders when we were sitting in chairs or on the couch. she liked her face next to our face. our new girl is a smaller toy, so I'm just curious if anyone has a tpoo that does this?
I specified standard poodle because I've personally never encountered this with a mini or toy. The only time my mini's teeth ever touched me were when I playfully teased her with her ball. Occasionally I'd feel them on the back of my hand when she pounced, but she had to be extremely excited. It always elicited a laugh, which she'd respond to with a bark. Just a silly play routine we did.

She also liked to curl up on the back of the couch, but not my shoulder. That sounds adorable!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'll try to find a pic. it was so sweet. just posted pics of our new baby on a new thread! I waited years for another poodle pup so I'm ecstatic!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sable does this a lot. Glad to hear it's "normal" Spoo behavior, tho. Sometimes it's annoying when it seems EVERY time I reach towards her or otherwise absentmindedly move a hand in her direction it always meets with an open, but gentle, mouth. Constant reminder that she's ALWAYS by my side, more than I realize. I do, however, allow her to play/interact with me this way. When I get home from work, I let her jump up and hug, she actually wraps her "arms" around me, and mouth vigorously, but gently, my arms/hands. She always stops when I say "ouch", even if it didn't hurt, and looks at me as if to say, "are you ok?". She's SO happy and cute and adorable, it's hard for me to think of not ever allowing it. I DO like the "attention", but she needs to learn that it's not ok with everyone else, tho some people also like it. Strangely enough, my mailman likes it! He hugs her back! LOL! She IS learning to stay down when I say, and I make it a requirement that she SIT when meeting people when we're out, and she DOES know "no bite". She'll be a year old June 6th, so still a puppy. One thing I have noticed is that other "puppies", most of them considerably smaller, get less notice for the same behavior, and get more of "oh, isn't that cute!". Her size makes it more notable, she's over 60# and 26" tall at the shoulder, and still growing, but I think she's as tall as she's gonna be, just going to fill out more. She's quite the big lug! And SO good with children, even toddlers! She does NOT knock them over, and the mouthing is minimal, even non-existant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also try to work with this, keeping her mouth busy in "good" ways. Out walking, she likes to carry things, and there's usually a stick nearby. She sometimes grabs large branches to drag with! When we're done playing outside, I encourage her to bring her toys in. I'm also training her to carry the mail in, but for now only stuff I don't care about too much! LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also try to work with this, keeping her mouth busy in "good" ways. Out walking, she likes to carry things, and there's usually a stick nearby. She sometimes grabs large branches to drag with! When we're done playing outside, I encourage her to bring her toys in. I'm also training her to carry the mail in, but for now only stuff I don't care about too much! LOL
I used the fact that my Piper loves to carry things in her mouth and taught her to pick things up for me that I drop and give to me and also get the small items out of the dryer. She loves to carry package in the house too. Our mail lady puts them through the fence into her mouth and she trots off to the house! Its adorable! She is a terrible licker too, likes everything!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Zephyr doesn't mouth me at all, but he sure enjoys chewing on the cat. He chews very gently and the cat just lays there and bats at him with his paws (claws sheathed).

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Asta is a bit mouthy with me. After I've had enough of it - I tell him "That's enough" and he stops right away. Use "That's enough" for a lot of different circumstances so he has really come to generalize that command. I do let him give me a lick or two after he complies with the command.
I do not let him near strangers as he will try and mouth them and or nibble. Always have mail person just leave packages on the porch or on top of the car, anywhere we can find it easily. Same restrictions with UPS, etc. Hearing him bark is terrifying to listen to and would scare away anyone.
He loves UPS and can hear the truck in the driveway. Gets superexcited as those Chewy boxes come in the truck. Wow good things from the truck. I wait for the all clear to get packages and Asta noses them and snuffles them waiting for me to open the packages.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Phoebe loves to greet by holding your hand, which doesn’t bother me but my roommates differ. We say "no bite" to tell her thats enough but i have also noticed if i move my other hand to stroke her head she will drop the one in her mouth. I do have a roommate who is not a dog lover and she has been a bit more frustrated by the gesture but will not listen to my suggestions :mad:. Working on the behavior/command for when we are able to have friends over again because for some reason not everyone likes a poodle holding their hand. 😂

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Not since the puppy mouthing stage. None of my dogs ever mouthed a human hand. The most they do it poke it when they want a pet. I have mostly GSD and Rotties & labs.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Beckies does mouth when we play a certain way. I’ve always let it go since it wasn’t too over the top. She doesn’t hurt me except sometimes her teeth knock on the bones of my hands and that hurts. So then I stop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts