Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I want to get some genetic testing done on my miniature poodle but I am having trouble finding information on testing companies to use. I have read up a bit on Wisdom Panel and their tests seem to cover a lot, but I don't know any others.Can anyone give any recommendations on who to try? Personal experience with such organisations would be really helpful. A little more information on my boy. He is 10 months old and is a dark chocolate brown miniature poodle. I haven't actually measured his height yet, but he looks to be on the larger end of miniature. Unfortunately no papers as his breeder didn't have papers from the breeders of her pair. Although I would love to have papers for my boy it won't make any difference to who he is or that he is a much loved companion and pet. I just want to make very sure he is not carrying genes for conditions that could be a problem in the future or that could be passed on to pups should we decide to mate him to a suitable bitch. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello! There’s also Paw Print Genetics and Embark, but I can’t vouch for any personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! There’s also Paw Print Genetics and Embark, but I can’t vouch for any personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I found Embark and it seems impressive. I've never heard of Paw Print Genetics but I'll follow that up as well :)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,808 Posts
A few people here have used Embark for health testing. I'm not in a position to compare to Wisdom Panel, which I've also seen recommended.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few people here have used Embark for health testing. I'm not in a position to compare to Wisdom Panel, which I've also seen recommended.
Thank you. I have found about half a dozen genetic testing organisations and have spent a fair bit of time going through their websites and user reviews. I have also found a couple of sites that give a comparison overview of the services offered by various organisations. I am inclined to go with Embark I think. It seems to give the best selection of services and so long as the reviews are all genuine, has a lot of positive feedback. I think most of the organisations give a good basic service, but for my purposes, it looks as if Embark is at the top of the list. I also like the idea that I can contribute to ongoing research with this organisation. Plus there is a lot of learning that can be sourced on their website.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Embark is a good kit. For pet testing I think they are probably your best choice. Pawprint is also very good and is generally preferred by breeders for genetic testing but that's because it's geared more toward breed-specific tests.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Embark is a good kit. For pet testing I think they are probably your best choice. Pawprint is also very good and is generally preferred by breeders for genetic testing but that's because it's geared more toward breed-specific tests.
Thanks. I inferred the same from some of the reviews I read as well. I think all the testing sites offer good services but I do think Embark is the one best suited for what I am seeking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts