Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I'd like to get a few things off my chest. I recently lost a Sanvar male and a Cantope female, both at 12 years old. Sadie was from Cantope. I have visited them many times, they have boarded and groomed my dogs many times. They were very different dogs, even in the texture of their hair. Mika was a scalawag, refused to be trained, had a mind of his own. Sadie was affectionate, devoted. Her fatal flaw was that she was a bad hunter, killed raccoons, rabbits, hens, and pussycats. She had a rough life, and died of congestive heart failure, just last week. I have been in touch with Diane at Cantope, and she is very supportive.
So, I've been looking. There are no dogs available. Many breeders won't even respond to an email. I have even looked on Kijiji. These fly by nighters are asking $3500 CAD for a mutt, a mixed breed. I hope they are not getting that price. I wrote to one fool, his answer came quickly - "Which one do you want?"
Maybe things will return to "normal" soon. I hope so.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Vent all you want.

It really is such a hard time to find a well-bred puppy, and it's disgusting how many unscrupulous folks are taking advantage of the increased demand. At least you can recognize a red flag.... Many people can't and heartbreak ensues.

If I were looking right now, I'd get on my dream breeder's waitlist. Time seems to be flying since the start of the pandemic, plus there's always the chance you'll get moved up the list if others drop off for any reason.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This is a bad time to lose a loved companion. So sorry.

I've read that rescue groups expect a glut of COVID dogs after people return to work. That might be next summer. Is there a poodle rescue that you could contact now?

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Good idea, @Dianaleez. We're already starting to see covid adolescents being rehomed in our local Facebook groups.

You may also see poodles being returned to their breeders, which is another reason to get on a waitlist, and let them know if you'd consider an older pup or even adult.

During our search last summer, we were offered a one-year-old spoo who was playing too rough with the young members of his new family.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are dogs available, keep looking.

Basil's breeder here in WA has 7 poodle boys available due to go home before Christmas. She's really protective of who gets them. I'm willing to bet there are other breeders in your area who are like her.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a bad time to lose a loved companion. So sorry.

I've read that rescue groups expect a glut of COVID dogs after people return to work. That might be next summer. Is there a poodle rescue that you could contact now?
Diana: There is a Poodle rescue in Ontario, but the dogs sound in rough shape. I'm expecting an offer to come through at any time. The market is crazy right now. Some people should perhaps not have dogs.
There are dogs available, keep looking.

Basil's breeder here in WA has 7 poodle boys available due to go home before Christmas. She's really protective of who gets them. I'm willing to bet there are other breeders in your area who are like her.
Basil: I would be willing to travel to WA, meet her on the bridge. Can you tell me her name, please?

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Again, I am so sorry for the losses of Sadie and Mika. It really is hard to lose a pet. I don’t feel like I’m living my life if there isn’t a dog in it. I would definitely reach out to Cherie Perks of Arreau Standard Poodles. She’s lovely and so are her poodles. Best wishes on your search. Good advice on rehomes or show fails. Doesn’t have to be a puppy to repair a heart:)

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
I understand your pain. I was pretty gutted when my boy Snarky died. His breeder is no longer active. After a bit of searching I found another breeder working with the same line. I'm on a waiting list to get a puppy ETA next July. Covid had nothing to do with the delay; the sire and dam just weren't old enough to be bred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts