Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackson is so smart and just wants to please. I've been teaching him to "Beg" and he knows the concept but just could not find his balance. He's been sitting in his puppy-back-legs-splayed-apart position and waving his front feet in the air. He really tries to balance but usually tips over within seconds. Recently he learned to tuck in his haunches but still couldn't seem to find the correct center of gravity for his body...he always stuck his belly way too far forward. And finally this morning he found it! He (and Hoot) sat up and held it gracefully and beautifully! Talk about a celebration. I hope I can get them to hold it for a picture.

I've also given him a couple of swimming lessons. Up until this week he would wade back and forth on the last step but never really swam.

So in we went on the first 110 degree afternoon. I held him close and just moved in the water, then took him back to the steps. We did this a couple of times until he was completely relaxed in the water, then I held his belly while he frantically paddled and helped him to the stairs. After only three or four times of that I let him go and he managed to get the five feet to the steps on his own.

Then I left him at the step and coaxed him to swim to me. The first attempt was very scary for him but now he just loves it. He isn't swimming on his own yet (Hoot does all the time) but he loves it when I'm in.

Isn't he the greatest!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Ah, way to go Jackson! I hope you do capture his beg on camera, I want to see it! And I'm sure as his confidence builds he will get to be a real swimmer. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts