Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a 'blog' post of our training leading up to our nosework competition. If people are interested and respond I'll try to keep it updated as we go along.
I'm being terribly bad and I have been neglecting our competition obedience training a bit. I guess the thought that we could actually be close to being ready to compete in something is making me super motivated to practice it, where as the competition obedience training is still more of a question mark as to when we will be ready. I had thoughts on trying for September, but not sure if I'll be ready for that, especially if I don't practice.
Another thing that gonna screw us up a bit is that we have to take a break from classes for close to 4 weeks for specific reasons so with no obedience classes if I don't practice that we for sure won't be ready! And also makes me a little bit more nervous about our nosework competition August 1. I'll only have 2 classes before it. Mostly it's not TOO hard to practice it outside of class, but I still don't know exactly how things run and how things are set up and when I train I always know where the hides are since I'm the one placing them, which of course I won't know at the competition.

Anyways. Here are 3 of our searches from the last 3 days. Turn volume down for my garage search cause my little dogs were being 'distractions' and they were 99% sure we were going for a car ride.

This outside search (with the 3 chairs) was the first time we did any scent work in the front yard and we spend virtually no time in the front yard so it's a relatively unfamiliar area to him. It was also quite windy, and my front yard is the bathroom for the whole community's dogs I think so a lot of smells haha.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Good Luck - looks like you and Asher will do well.

I have a friend who goes with me to a local park - large park, multiple playgrounds, and lots of wild life. My friend places the hides - then tells me the area to search. It really helps because I don't know where the hides are located so I can't send any clues to my dog. She has also learned to ignore the smells of other animals while doing her searches.

I have another friend who I have taught scent work too - and we practice in her back yard - we take turns hiding the scent.

Maybe you can find someone to work with - let them get creative in where they hide the scent out of sight of you and Asher.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Luck - looks like you and Asher will do well.

I have a friend who goes with me to a local park - large park, multiple playgrounds, and lots of wild life. My friend places the hides - then tells me the area to search. It really helps because I don't know where the hides are located so I can't send any clues to my dog. She has also learned to ignore the smells of other animals while doing her searches.

I have another friend who I have taught scent work too - and we practice in her back yard - we take turns hiding the scent.

Maybe you can find someone to work with - let them get creative in where they hide the scent out of sight of you and Asher.
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely I could find someone to help me. I may, the very odd time, be able to go some where near or at my mom's house and get her to set it for me, but she's very busy so it wouldn't be often

1 - 3 of 3 Posts