Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We sure dodged a bullet today.

Our landscapers were here and I noticed they left our side alley gate open. Eep! I verrrry calmly closed it so the poodle wouldn't think anything of it.

"Nothing to see here, Poodle. Move along..."

Later my husband went out and what the heck?? The landscapers had returned for something and this time they'd left the backyard gate open. Hmmm. Okay.

My husband closed it. All good.

After we're done dinner, I typically let Peggy outside while I clean up. She was out there for about half an hour tonight before I joined her, and—ACK! The side gate was open!! AGAIN.

Peggy spends a lot of time exploring the alley beside our house, but bless her heart, did not decide to go on an adventure.

(Or at least I don't think she did.)

Think it's time to make some "Keep Gate Closed" signs?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Teddy has figured out those long legs can go up two steps but also down. It’s exactly two out of front door or two out the garage. So we r always on guard cause u just never know!! And if something gets in their nose...they could take off!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yikes that is lucky. When Misha was just a little puppy our gardeners left the gate unlatched and he went walkabout! I only learned of it later when the neighbor said they found him exploring out of the yard and put him back! It still haunts me. He couldn't have been out by himself more than a few minutes. I'm sure they don't intend to escape but exploration is very exciting and dangerous. After that I never put him out without checking the gate.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes that is lucky. When Misha was just a little puppy our gardeners left the gate unlatched and he went walkabout! I only learned of it later when the neighbor said they found him exploring out of the yard and put him back! It still haunts me. He couldn't have been out by himself more than a few minutes. I'm sure they don't intend to escape but exploration is very exciting and dangerous. After that I never put him out without checking the gate.
Misha on a walkabout sounds both adorable and so scary! Ugh. Glad that angel neighbour was there.

I might put a lock on our alley gate. The other one I can easily see from inside.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teddy has figured out those long legs can go up two steps but also down. It’s exactly two out of front door or two out the garage. So we r always on guard cause u just never know!! And if something gets in their nose...they could take off!
Yeah, it doesn't take much.

I'm not sure Peggy even realizes yet that running away is an option. I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't think Misha thinks running away is a possibility either. He would be horrified if he thought he was on his own somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. But I know he can get distracted by fun things for a little while before it occurs to him that I'm not with him!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think Misha thinks running away is a possibility either. He would be horrified if he thought he was on his own somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. But I know he can get distracted by fun things for a little while before it occurs to him that I'm not with him!
Yeah, and you never know if those fun things might lead them straight into the road. :(

I once forgot Gracie outside my apartment. Was probably half an hour before I realized and flung open the door to find her just sitting there in the hallway.

Our rabbit AND German Wirehaired Pointer had similar experiences at my childhood home. Both just sat on the porch, probably wondering why they'd been so cruelly forsaken

My parents often forgot their miniature schnauzer in random places, because she was this silent, unassuming, ghostlike little creature. They'd literally drive away and she'd just be sitting there like, "Um.... Guys?"

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yeah, and you never know if those fun things might lead them straight into the road. :(

I once forgot Gracie outside my apartment. Was probably half an hour before I realized and flung open the door to find her just sitting there in the hallway.

Our rabbit AND German Wirehaired Pointer had similar experiences at my childhood home. Both just sat on the porch, probably wondering why they'd been so cruelly forsaken

My parents often forgot their miniature schnauzer in random places, because she was this silent, unassuming, ghostlike little creature. They'd literally drive away and she'd just be sitting there like, "Um.... Guys?"
Haha that is very funny! I'm surprised the pointer wasn't off chasing butterflies or birds!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha that is very funny! I'm surprised the pointer wasn't off chasing butterflies or birds!
If she'd had access to the backyard where all the squirrels were, I'm not sure she'd even have realized she was alone! Loved watching her out there pointing away.

Peggy has recently gone from a tentatively raised paw to a more intentional point. I get serious gundog vibes from her.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can put springs on the gates and adjust the tension so they close automatically. That being said, that is the reason our former landscapers are our former ones. They left the gates open once too many times despite me talking to them personally as well as calling the owner and emphasizing that they must make sure the gates are closed when they leave the backyard. I still make it a habit to check, once the current landscapers leave, that the gates are closed before I let the dogs out in the yard again....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Glad to hear Peggy stayed put. The same happened at a friend's house years ago - unbeknownst to our friends, a contractor left a side gate open, a gate they never used and never thought about. The four of us ran out for something, and when we got back, their two dogs were hanging in the backyard, and our two dogs were lounging in the front by the garage, waiting for us to return. I was so glad our dogs liked us enough to stick around!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I hate idiots who dont understand gates. We have a gate on our porch and a tiny attached x pen pee yard, so the dogs can be outside, but no big fence on the yard. We had a series of trades people last year. Half would very carefully close and check the gate. 1/4 would carelessly fling it closed so it didnt latch, 1/4 would just... leave it open. We are in a rural area, so I would have thought they would know gate etiquette - always leave gates the way you found them!!!

Annie got out a few times - she loves to RUN so tears around the yard. I always grab her ball, and we play for a while off leash, then snag her, attach the leash, let her drag it as we play some more then eventually go inside. So I have trained her to love escaping outthe gate but also hang around and wait for me to come play, so I guess that's something?

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
One of my neighbors came home from work once to find he had acquired two more dogs. He had a huge well fenced yard and a dog door into the house. His dogs would hang out in the yard or in the house, as they pleased, while he was at work. Someone who wanted to rehome their dogs opened his gate and just dumped the dogs in his yard. Surprise! Luckily his dogs didn't mind, so no drama happened while he was at work. It did shake him up a bit, though. He added locks to the gate after that incident.

·
Premium Member
23,404 Posts
Yeah, for Want of Poodle there is a reason for having a fence and gates isn't there?! My lawn guy likes our dogs and understands how important they are to us, so he is really good about double checking the gate after he finishes in the back. The gate is a little off balance and doesn't always latch properly especially on hot days. When we are home we put a masterlock through the gate on the inside to prevent people from coming in on their own.

Peeves wouldn't go anywhere. He is old and happy with his little world. We often prop the gate open when I get home from the supermarket to get the groceries in as fast as possible. He doesn't even follow us up and down the driveway.

Lily will go anywhere with almost anyone so she would be easy to dognap. She and Javelin (especially) have pretty bombproof recalls if they ever get loose in the front of the house.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah, for Want of Poodle there is a reason for having a fence and gates isn't there?! My lawn guy likes our dogs and understands how important they are to us, so he is really good about double checking the gate after he finishes in the back. The gate is a little off balance and doesn't always latch properly especially on hot days. When we are home we put a masterlock through the gate on the inside to prevent people from coming in on their own.

Peeves wouldn't go anywhere. He is old and happy with his little world. We often prop the gate open when I get home from the supermarket to get the groceries in as fast as possible. He doesn't even follow us up and down the driveway.

Lily will go anywhere with almost anyone so she would be easy to dognap. She and Javelin (especially) have pretty bombproof recalls if they ever get loose in the front of the house.
Yes, the worst was one guy who left the gate open, and then left the door open!!!! Of course Annie went for a run, he tries calling her (hah), I go and play with her, get her back in. He apologized. An hour later - did it again, and luckily I noticed before Annie did.

For some reason, he was not invited back again!

Annie's recall in our yard is poor after an escape, I try to only use it for emergencies and never to end fun. Her down stay at a distance is pretty bomb proof, but I try to use it for emergencies only- like when I let my friend walk her, and he dropped the leash and she was headed for the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sure she went on a tiny adventure, but soon remembered where the good chow was located ;) there's no place like home!

No, but seriously that's really scary! I remember when my chihuahua dartec out the house and into the busy street! It was my worse nightmare—she’d never done that before! I usually let her accompany me to pick up a delivery and she’d always remain at my side, I guess this day was just different. But the amount of cars that surpassed her that day while she weaved in and out the street...I wouldn't wish that on any dog lover/owner.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Our Aussie terrier once escaped the house we were renting at the beach and ran along the Florida-Alabama highway. Luckily our s-i-l was driving from the other way. He stopped and the dog came running to him.

I still have nightmares.

Are poodles easier in emergencies than terriers?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts