Poodle Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I hope Snow had a peaceful night and that his prognosis is good this morning. Please let us know how things are when you have a chance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Snow came home late this morning. He's not as active as normal, has an extra large shaved area on his belly, and has been saddled with a cone. But he's home and doing extremely well. He's had a couple accidents in the house, so I suspect that he's not able to hold it in his bladder as he normally would. Just means we have to be extra attentive and giving plenty of opportunities to relieve himself in the proper place. Right now it's not too hard to keep him quiet, but I've got a feeling that in a few days he's going to be a handful. So all in all I think we were very lucky and our biggest Christmas gift this year is that Snow is still with us and well on the way to being healthy again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happy for you that your boy is doing well. My girl Molly who is 9 got bloated the other night. My wife used to be a registered vet tech and she knew the signs immediately (Molly had unproductive retching). We rushed her and they were able to siphon the gas out without opening her up (she did not torse). We're still dealing with some issues at the moment, I made a lengthy post in the Poodle Health area that is awaiting moderation. Hoping it goes through so we can potentially gain some insight that we haven't thought of yet.

The ER discharged her yesterday but she wouldn't eat for us at all. So we had to send her back for tube feeding. She was eating for the vets previously but not us... :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
My girl Molly who is 9 got bloated the other night. My wife used to be a registered vet tech and she knew the signs immediately (Molly had unproductive retching). We rushed her and they were able to siphon the gas out without opening her up (she did not torse). We're still dealing with some issues at the moment, I made a lengthy post in the Poodle Health area that is awaiting moderation. Hoping it goes through so we can potentially gain some insight that we haven't thought of yet.

The ER discharged her yesterday but she wouldn't eat for us at all. So we had to send her back for tube feeding. She was eating for the vets previously but not us... :(
I'm so glad that your wife knew the signs and you were able to get Molly help quickly. Snow has been eating really well for us on a bland diet of rice and ground turkey per the vet's discharge instructions. No idea if that's the kind of thing you were trying to feed your Molly, but perhaps it would help when she's able to come home again.

I worked from home today so that I could keep a closer eye on Snow, he's doing well enough that I feel comfortable going back to the office tomorrow. I can tell that he's still feeling rather sore when it's time for his next dose of pain medication. He doesn't want to sit down, and will start to sit then pop right back up almost as if to say "Nope, can't do that right now". He's also been annoying the heck out of me by catching his cone on everything, and my laptop in particular. Makes it very interesting trying to get things done on the computer.

I'm starting to see more and more of his normal rambunctiousness which makes me happy even when he's doing something that annoys the heck out of me. Just so happy he's still here and able to have the puppy moments that get under my skin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is so awesome to hear man. You are very very lucky. My girl has been a bit of a lemon but I love her so.

I'd love to paste the entire post in here but I would be violating the forum rules and I don't want to step on any toes. I will give you an update on Molly though.

We’ve taken Molly back to the vet hospital this morning hoping that she would eat and begin to put some weight back on. Last update, still not eating, and shaking and hypersalivating when the staff are even discussing food. Latest update, my wife is taking her home tonight, we will hit her with more immunosupressants, mertazipine, tramadol and potentially another anti-depressant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Snow continues to improve while at the same time driving us all batty. He broke his first cone after only a week, so we picked another up from Petsmart. Then on Monday I was a bit concerned about how his incision was looking, so I took him back to the vet. Turns out that he'd been doing more than a little licking of the incision because the new cone was too short, and it was infected. They removed the staples to help with the healing and sent us home with antibiotics and a new cone. Since I knew that he had managed to lick at his would a little bit with the first one, the new cone was even longer. It lasted all of 3 days before he broke it. Given how quickly he was destroying them by running into things, I wasn't about to waste money on yet another one. So I sent my son to find one of his old t-shirts that doesn't fit anymore and put it on Snow. It covers about 2/3rds of the incision and seems to be helping much more than the cones ever did. I also picked up some bitter apple spray, which sort of works.

Today I finally had a chance to groom him since he's healed quite a bit and he doesn't look nearly as silly now with the areas that they trimmed for the surgery and IV. It just looks like a really bad sanitary trim now.

He's completely back to eating his normal food again, although I'm pretty sure he'd prefer it if we'd continue feeding him the rice and ground Turkey. Some of his training has been especially hard because obviously asking to sit before going out or coming in is totally different now that we're taking him out on a leash and he's wearing a t-shirt. I'm muddling through it and it seems to be sinking in, but my son is really struggling and it's spiking his anxiety. Sigh. I've been reminding him that we've all been through a lot in the last two weeks and that dogs don't generalize well. A small change is enough to throw them off and he's had a lot of different stuff to deal with in the last couple of weeks.

Give that the t-shirt seems to be helping the wound heal the most, I ordered a couple of Cover Me by Tui. I'm really hoping that they get here quickly, as I'm pretty sure they are going to make a big difference in how well he heals. I really wish I'd thought to go ahead and order them right after the surgery, so that I could already be using them. And the really funny thing is that my son really likes how he looks wearing the t-shirt and wants to keep dressing him up even after he's healed! Oh my, that just seems so wrong to me with a Standard Poodle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Snow had a checkup with his regular vet today and we got the go ahead to let him stop wearing the doggie onesie. It really helped a bunch and he's healing really well. There's still one small part that isn't completely closed that we especially need to keep an eye on. I'm so relieved that he's well on the road to recovery.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts