Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My mom got a 2y old fox terrier from a breeder and per the breeder’s instructions she gives her dog a daily dose of powdered garlic on top of his food as a natural flea-ticks-parasite remedy. The dog seems to be doing just fine. I read a bit about it and it seems to be a thing, if controversial. I will ask my vet at my dog’s next apt. but does anyone have any experience/informed opinion regarding this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Years ago many people gave garlic to dogs - supposedly to prevent worms. Current thinking is that alliums (onions, leeks, garlic) are not good for dogs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used garlic for Nim this past year and I never found a single bug or bite on her, even after spending a week romping through the woods of the upper midwest in the height of tick season! It's late and I have to sleep, but if I remember tomorrow, I'll share some of the resources I found while researching. Basically it seems the controversy is largely over one study that showed garlic could be dangerous for dogs...in gargantuan quantities (we're talking over a pound of fresh garlic per week for a 50lb dog). I believe it caused some kind of anaemia. The rest of the controversy is due to garlic being an allium, and other alliums like onions are DEFINITELY toxic to dogs and should never be fed. I've heard that because of that lots of vets say to not feed garlic, even though it's an approved ingredient in dog food.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I used garlic for Nim this past year and I never found a single bug or bite on her, even after spending a week romping through the woods of the upper midwest in the height of tick season! It's late and I have to sleep, but if I remember tomorrow, I'll share some of the resources I found while researching. Basically it seems the controversy is largely over one study that showed garlic could be dangerous for dogs...in gargantuan quantities (we're talking over a pound of fresh garlic per week for a 50lb dog). I believe it caused some kind of anaemia. The rest of the controversy is due to garlic being an allium, and other alliums like onions are DEFINITELY toxic to dogs and should never be fed. I've heard that because of that lots of vets say to not feed garlic, even though it's an approved ingredient in dog food.

That is correct from what I've read too. Extraordinarily large doses of garlic cause hemolytic anemia. I know several people at the dog park who feed garlic capsules as a flea preventative without problems. Glad it's worked well for Nim.

·
Registered
379 Posts
FWIW, I have used garlic for years. Summer, they get garlic powder 2xday, with chewables in the am (dry food breakfast). So far, no issues, and I use companies which which I have a long term relationship. (I am big on supplements for dogs and for me!)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yikes, a pound a week would be a huge amount of garlic! !
I got garlic tablets with brewers yeast for my spoo but can't get him to take them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen your response. I ended up buying Earth Animal's powder for flea/tick protection and it does contain a small amount of garlic. So I suppose a minute amount is fine -- and effective? I read about that anemia study. Are you feeding Nim raw garlic or do you buy a prepared supplement? I'd be interested if you could share the brand. Many thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes, a pound a week would be a huge amount of garlic! !
I got garlic tablets with brewers yeast for my spoo but can't get him to take them.
Maybe he would take that Earth Animal supplement? It is to be sprinkled over the food. Mine gobbled it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts