Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking with an acquaintance this week about what she feeds her dog. She says that she feeds a little garlic sprinkled over his meals to keep the fleas away. She never uses any topical or oral treatment and her dog never has fleas. Anyone tried or heard of this?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Heard of it and it's supposed to work but never tried it. I've also heard that a mixture of apple cidar vinegar mixed with water (mostly water) misted over them before they go out should also work. It's also supposed to work if you put it in their water so that it helps from the inside out. ACV has many uses.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There is no proof that the garlic thing works. I think the people who use it are just lucky. Its like me saying we have no fleas because i put garlic on his food (which i dont). We dont have fleas because our yard is clear from them and i check my pets, no b/c of the garlic.
Also too much garlic causes anemia in dogs (and onions).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually garlic is poisonous to dogs. It's in the onion family and can cause terrible stomach pains, weight loss, ect.

However the apple cider vinegar works wonderfully. I've always used that in my horses' water trough and NEVER had the little black flies in the manure, and I had very little bug problem on my horses as well. I would highly recommend apple cider vinegar!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Actually garlic is poisonous to dogs. It's in the onion family and can cause terrible stomach pains, weight loss, ect.

However the apple cider vinegar works wonderfully. I've always used that in my horses' water trough and NEVER had the little black flies in the manure, and I had very little bug problem on my horses as well. I would highly recommend apple cider vinegar!
My arab was so sensitive(HUGE WELTS) to fly spray that I used to use Avon's Skin So Soft on him to keep flies off. Have you ever tried it? It makes their coats nice and smells awesome too. I still think of him when I smell it. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Ladybug, garlic has to be given in HUGE amount to be toxic - look it up, I did reccently. Also keep in mind that you can walk into almost any store and find garlic and brewers years supplements made specificly for dogs.
Garlic IS in the onion family and those are toxic but they are NOT the same plant. You can find a ton of info online and offline stating that garlic is toxic however IF you take your time to really read into the matter, and remember I mentioned having done this last week, you will find that unless you're dog is eating a huge bag of garlic it would be difficult to poision them with it. Also most people who think to add garlic to food using processed garlic powder.
There is little to no danger in adding a bit of garlic to their food. In fact check lables on some dog treats. If there were hahaha I'd have killed every dog I've ever owned. They've all recieved garlic or things with garlic in them at one time or another.

Does it work for fleas?? I doubt it, not in safe amounts anyway.

APV, works - kinda. I think it may depend on where you live? My guys get it in their water and we have less of a problem than we otherwise wood have. I don't spray it on them though, I dont want them to smell even though the smell fades. ACV seems to work for just about everything LoL, I dont know what I would do without it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have heard of the Avon Skin so Soft, but never had the opportunity to use it! I should ask my cousin to get me some... she started selling Avon this year!

I had an Arab mare that was VERY allergic to Neoprene. She would get huge welts where ever it touched her. It was very exciting when I found out about it. Her cinch was neoprene and she was so itchy she kept trying to lay down and roll while I was riding!

I don't want to get in any arguments WonderPup... I believe you when you say you read up on it. No problem. My Aunt was feeding garlic to her Anatolian Shepherd, in small amounts and she started loosing weight quickly and just going down hill. She quit feeding the garlic and the dog popped back up. So she also did some research and found out it was poisonous to dogs. She was very glad she quit feeding it. Just because the dog food companies put it in their products certainly doesn't make it good for the dog. Corn isn't good and neither is beet pulp but they use both in lots of brands of dog food. After the dog food scare last year, I don't completely trust dog food companies any more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts